Oticon Opn. Rebooting randomly

TCB you must be getting very frustrated with the OPN. To date I have used three brands of batteries and they all work in the two sets of aids without a reboot. My problem is with streaming calls and audiobooks. I’m finding the only thing that gives me any kind of stability between my iPhone and HAs is to forget the Bluetooth connection and re-pair it every day. The Rayovac batteries may have improved things a bit but nothing drastic.

Just returned from my Audi appointment. She told me that Oticon now admits there is a problem with random rebooting. She will contact me when there is a fix…

It is a known problem with the early units. my demos went back to the company because of this problem.
I also had distorting drivers. Not correct. If you have problems. Complain.
I am glad I bought the overpriced local audi units as I keep bringing them back. Also much easier to get the molds the way I want them.
Meanwhile I have my own programmer and when I go to the audi I flash the audi’s program back on. so far they don’t know I am doing my own thing, which, btw, is truly better then what they are coming up with. It seems that they are not very good.
Anyway, if it reboots, return it!

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one having problems with reboots. My first right aid went back within 2 weeks of getting it. The new right aid still has a lot of problems with random reboots. The left aid reboots too, but no where near as often. I’ve been documenting each reboot with the Oticon Hearing Log app and sending them in bunches to the audi’s email. She didn’t say anything about it on my Aug 29 meeting, and since it was the first day of classes, I had a lot of other things on my mind. (It didn’t help that I’d pulled an all nighter getting ready for the first day of classes.)

I may try to push this issue a bit more forcefully at my next appointment. It was scheduled for Friday, but it has to be rescheduled because of an unplanned, but necessary out-of-town trip. But since I’ve also got a bunch of other issues that stem from the last adjustment, the random reboots may not get talked about at any length.

I am in my trial period on a pair of Opns with the 85 speakers. They do random reboots, play the tune, at least the right one does. Serial numbers are a bit over 44991000, would that make them early production? I guess I have no way to check the firmware version with the app.

I also experience some problems during streaming from iPad. The left hearing aid occasionally makes a louder sound, kind of switches to higher volume setting for a fraction of a second. Otherwise it sounds very soft and I have to adjust the audio balance on iPad 2/3 towards the left to get the sound centered. Sure my ears are different, there is more gain for the right one. But am I expected to get used to the off center sound?

Interestingly, perhaps, my first pair of Opn’s rebooted every couple of days, so I exchanged them. The second pair did it a couple of times as well, but they have been perfect over the past 5-6 weeks; makes me wonder whether the problem resolves itself after some time (unclear how this might happen, but I’ve seen far stranger things with software).

The word from Oticon is that they think it might be caused around the bluetooth connection. I’m going to leave my Ipad bluetooth turned off for a couple of days to see if that is a game changer. I have an Android phone so that’s not a problem.

I use BT streaming all the time and it’s been completely fine.

I turned off the BT on my Ipad and haven’t had a reboot in two days. Wonder if its my Ipad…

I doubt it is the iPad. You may find that OS 10 that is just out help. OS upgrades have helped some folks. But, whatever the iPad does, shouldn’t make an aid reboot. Sounds more like a stack overflow on the aids is happening. The way various people use their setup could then contribute to their aid rebooting more while others don’t get the stack overflow from the way they use the connection. Stacks are used for temporary storage, if you send to the stack and don’t clear that data the stack fills up and can start storing data that overwrite either code or other data. It could be one person does volume adjustments or program changes more than another and the flaw is in one of those routines.

My Vigo Pro’s and Agil Pro’s have always randomly rebooted and my audi looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it the first time. Usually it happens when a particular frequency like a forklift at Home Depot goes by or I end a phone conversation. I wouldn’t look to Oticon to figure it out, I have had my HA’s for five years and they have never been able to offer an explanation.

Just updating my own experiences with the random reboots.

I visited the audi on 9/8 to get the HAs turned back to the first settings before heading to NJ for a family funeral. I changed the batteries on the evening 9/9 while in NJ. And then I had a whole week without any rebooting.

I had to change the batteries again on the evening of 9/14; the batteries came from the same pack as the previous batteries did. (I’ve been averaging about 5 days of use between battery changes.) And on 9/15 the reboot problem came back:

On 9/15 there were 3 or 4 reboots (1-2 on each side) while I was using my land line telephone to make a very long phone call to a cousin who is in a lot of trouble. The reboots probably all occurred in a 1-1.5 hour period. The land line does NOT have any special equipment on it.

On 9/16 there was one reboot while I was watching tv (if I recall). I don’t use any kind of streamer device for the tv audio: With the HAs in, hubby is now complaining I want the sound turned down low enough where he has trouble hearing it when the AC comes on.

On 9/17 there were 3 reboots when I was on the land line talking to my son, who lives out in St. Louis. Again, these reboots occurred in a 1 hour period.

So far there’s been no rebooting today. But then I slept very late this morning, and I haven’t done much except sit around and chat with hubby while doing some web browsing on my mac.

The reboots are irksome, but they are not deal killers (yet) for me.

Mine only seem to restart when I wander out of range of my iPhone. Not a total reboot, just restart announcing the program name.

I received this email from my audiologist office on Monday:
We received a message from Oticon about the ongoing connectivity problems with your hearing instruments. This is what they were able to tell us:

In some (but not all) cases, if Bluetooth is left on when you walk out of cell phone range, the phone will keep trying to connect until its memory is full. At that point, it resets, playing a jingle in the hearing aids as it does so. A software update is planned to correct this; its estimated release date is early November.

As yet, they have no idea why connection issues are only affecting a few users; their head office in Denmark is scrambling to figure that out. Apparently the issue is US-only, because Apple’s connectivity works differently in Europe. That is all anyone knows for now, but help is on the way!

Thank you so much for your helpful Post. We greatly appreciated you sharing this update.:slight_smile:

I’m hoping it is actually a fix for my issue. I have never had a restart/jingle happen. Mine is just loosing some of the signal integrity which causes it to alternate between sides for 3-5 seconds at random intervals.

Oticon has said the same thing here in Canada. I have found if I leave the Bluetooth turned off on my Ipad, I have no restarts.

Mine started randomly rebooting after about 1 1/2 months. No bluetooth in use (Android user waiting for the Connect Clip.) Getting it about once a day now.

With the reboots and the lack of accessories, it really looks like they rushed them to market.

I have some doubts about the accuracy of this part of the audiologist’s message. Does someone happen to have more detailed information about this? I am interested in the connectivity aspects, so why and how the connectivity would be different?