Oticon Opn Programming

You probably paid $225 extra for the ExpressLink Programmer and appropriate connecting wires (as you call them), as opposed for $278 for the (mini Pro/CS44-cables/Flexstrips).

However, by using the Sonic ExpressLink Programmer (instead of using a mini Pro or Hi Pro), I believe you are limiting your future programming capabilities. The mini Pro or Hi Pro is capable of programming almost all hearing aid models (legacy and current), except for some wireless only models like the Widex DREAM platform.

I’m no expert on this Sonic ExpressLink Programmer but I believe it will not have the same multi-manufacturer connection capabilities that you get with a mini Pro or a Hi Pro. Correct me if I am wrong.

From Genie 2 Help,
EXPRESSlink is a programming device that works only with Oticon instruments. Only the newest version, EXPRESSlink3, works with Genie 2.

So Yes, you are limiting yourself when you buy the Expresslink hardware instead of the mini Pro/Hi Pro setup. When they say only Oticon instruments, I think they mean Bernafon and whatever other instruments are manufactured by Oticon.

That’s correct - the Expresslink is only going to work with Oticon instruments. I plan to stick with Oticon for at least another 4 or 5 years so that doesn’t bother me. Another reason I went with the Expresslink is that Buyhear sold it to me for only $100 so it was a good deal.

That is a great deal! Whatever works best for each individual situation. You did good.

We may soon have a (game changing?) standardized wireless programming device >>Noahlink Wireless<<,

See this link:> mini Pro/Hi Pro/cables/etc VS convenient Wireless Programming Device

That seems like a great deal on the Express Link 3.0 with wires from BuyHear. They are sending me the same kit to do the FW update. I wonder if they’ll sell it to me if for the same price.

If you ask and they would sell it to you for the same price, if you don’t mind asking if they would sell it to other folks who don’t buy from them for the same price as well. I would definitely shell out $100 for it for sure.

I did ask BH. They said $225. But keep in mind that you are limiting yourself to Oticon, Bernafon, Sonic Innovations-William Demant Brands of hearing aids. You can get better equipment that will work for all (or at least most) hearing aids.

It can’t hurt to ask them. I was able to buy my Expresslink from them at the same time I bought my OPN 1 hearing aids so the price I got might have been a result of my hearing aid purchase.

Good point, PVC. I would pay $100 for it but for $225, I would go for the generic equipment that would work with all brands.

I was saying in another thread that it can only be win-win if they sell it to you at cost at the time of purchase so that it’ll save them a lot of future shipping costs back and forth for subsequent adjustments or firmware updates. It’ll probably save them time as well because you’ll most likely end up doing more of the adjustments yourself instead of them having to spend the time and do it for you remotely.

The only issue I see is whether they really have enough supply of these devices to sell at cost to their customer or not.

I think that you are correct about them saving money in the long run by selling me the Expresslink - so far I have not asked them to make any adjustments to my OPN 1 hearing aids and have done it all myself so they haven’t had to spend any time or ship me anything to accomplish it.

There is a bit of a learning curve to using the Genie 2 software, however. I think I have figured out most of it but since I have no training as an audiologist I’m sure that there are some things that I am missing when it comes to programming my aids. On the other hand, I am very happy with the OPNs so the programming seems to be doing the trick for me.

I ended up with a pretty sweet deal. BuyHear sent me a minipro, flexstrips, cs44 cables, and a USB adapter (from 2.0 to 3.0) for $175 instead of the ExpressLink3.0. I called up to make sure there wasn’t a mistake and I was told that minipro is more versatile and they had some extras so they sent me that instead. Seems like I made our pretty darn good. I already got connected on my laptop to Genie2 and can program my aids. I will update the firmware shortly when the server is back up. I kept getting an error that the firmware update was not available. The BuyHear guys said the same thing happened to them a couple of times, but the FW update had no issues upon trying at a later date.

You think getting a counterfeit programming device is a pretty sweet deal? That’s crazy. If you look in the Genie 2 documentation, the only programming devices supported are:

> HI-PRO Classic
> HI-PRO USB
> HI-PRO 2
> NOAHlink
> EXPRESSlink3
> FittingLINK 3.0

Good luck getting your hearing aids fixed if you brick them.

Yes, great deal!

Dang! I want that deal!

Wow, mini Pro + cs44 cables and flexstrips for $175 is a good price. The mini Pro alone is currently priced at $208.

Plus you can use the mini Pro to program other manufacturer’s hearing aids instead of being limited to Oticon-manufactured-only hearing aids.

I started a new thread for >>How to program the Oticon Opn<< in the DIY section.

Thanks, I was able to get everything connected by reviewing the diagram in your post.

Please don’t spread FUD here; the Mini-Pro is functionally identical to a HI-PRO USB. I realize that ignorance doesn’t prevent people from posting here, but I don’t understand why you’d bother.

Is this in response to cszoom1’s comment about the Mini-Pro being a counterfeit device?

I think maybe you missed the major war going on a little while back in the programming section of the forum about what works, what’s legit, what’s not, and who cares?, etc…