Oticon OPN Power BTE

Hi,

So an update on Oticon extending the OPN family.

I visited my audiologist on Wednesday for a hearing, listening and communications goals assessment as well as picking up my Egger Thermotec moulds (which are AMAZING). We discussed further about Oticon’s new OPN Power BTE. Oticon will be announcing this at an audiology conference in the USA in April, which my audiologist is attending.

A white paper has been released in the profession, which I’m sure will be available publicly soon enough.

After the conference, Oticon will be starting to send demonstration versions of their new OPN Power BTE and my audiologist said these are expected in the last two weeks of April.

I had a google and I came across a blog, which including the announcement of OPN 2 and OPN 3 actually also features a photo of the OPN Power BTE. Click below to see the article.

My audiologist will be looking into seeing if the OPN Power BTE will be suitable for me to try, so will keep you updated accordingly.

hmm still haven’t paid for my RICs yet, shoul I bother trying those, will they do anything differently for severe hearing loss people, better clarity, better features for severe hearing loss?

Edit. seems like the 13 size BTE is simply a the same as a OPN RIC with power molds and 100/105 dB and lorger buttons for the seniors. don’t need to bother then.

but good find thank you.

No, the new Oticon OPN Power BTE size 13 is for those with a severe to profound loss, like mine and will be much more powerful. It’s a new addition to the OPN family and separate to the Oticon miniRTE aids although it’ll have the same technology as the rest of the OPN family, but in a Super Power body.

And I am not a senior thank you! I’m 32 years old! The buttons aren’t larger just for seniors, it is bigger because it is simply a more powerful device for more severe hearing losses. It will have Speech Rescue, which isn’t in their miniRTEs. I think that’s the only difference as well as the size.

The amplification these bring are similar to my current hearing aids and simply would be too powerful for your hearing loss.

^thx @ speech rescue will look into it. Mini Rite have 105dB in power mold, maybe the ultra power @ BTE will have more power but not the SP version, if there is any. not sure why you have to exaggerate so much.

With the Cookie bite you need extra power to drive low frequencies, not sure you have the backround to make an assumption.

Speech rescue sounds pretty much like the frequnecy lowering technique mentioned in the posted article and is said to be available to all modles via firmware update. thx for the schooling attempt.

I have been deaf since birth and worn hearing aids since 1985, so I think I have the background to make some sort of an assumption if I want to? Your hearing loss is significantly better than mine hence why I assumed that the Power BTE would be too much for you, as you do not want over amplification.

The Speech Rescue is available in the Oticon Dynamo hearing aid and this will be included in the new Oticon OPN Power BTE. Speech rescue actually rescues high frequency sounds and pastes them into a lower frequency range, I presume that is what you are talking about? I’m not trying to school you. I am merely trying to make you understand that I do know what I am talking about as it feels that you don’t think I do and making me question if I have the entitlement to be here because my hearing is so poor?

Thanks for the info and link, Tori. It’s much appreciated. I’m thrilled to see the article mention that the frequency lowering technology (Speech Rescue) will be available to existing OPN wearers with a firmware update. My HF loss is pretty severe so I’m looking forward to trying out the Speech Rescue technology when it becomes available to all OPN wearers!

Thank you Volusiano :smiley:

Yeah, my high frequency loss is severe as well so the Speech Rescue sounds really good and am looking forward to benefitting from it hopefully. It’s good to know that Oticon OPN gets firmware updates!

I’m currently using the 85 receivers, but am upgrading to 105 for more bass. Also looking into custom molds as well.

My audi told me that the 105 receiver requires a custom mold, is that true? Or are they generic domes that can be used for the 105?

I’ve got you beat by a year, Tori. I’m 33!

— Updated —

Volusiano -
I don’t have them yet but the fitter didn’t say I would require customs and knows I wear bass domes and yet he still suggested them to me. So I’ll know shortly.

I think this HA will not be super power as Oticon Dynamo SP, but power as Oticon Alta PP because of physical size of superpower receiver.

:smiley: Good to know there are others that are of a similar age to me! Nice to meet you!

Yeah, I agree and also incorporating the OPN technology as well.

you can set a upper bar to stop the amplification, I still need room for louder sounds or 85dB range and 65dB range might be mixing into each other, and I do need at least 100dB receivers. the way you write about things, you don’t have the technical backround to advise me any kind of HA or its power…

as far as I know the 105 only come with the power mold which they are infused in. you can use the 100dB with power domes.

Why didn’t you order them anyway with your high frequency loss?

Only the 65 and 85 receivers were available at the time I purchased my OPN.