Oticon OPN Intermittent Clicking Sound Question

Hi Everyone,

I’m having a new issue when using my OPNs to stream sound from my iPhone. Now when I listen to music or speak on the phone using the OPNs I hear intermittent short sound every 10-20 seconds. Hard to describe, sounds like a click (less than a second). It’s not terrible but it’s pretty annoying. It have only recently noticed this. Restarting the aids or the phone does not fix it. I’m wondering if the aids are broken or if this was caused by the latest iOS update.

Was hoping somebody else has any idea.

Thanks!

The receivers might need to be changed.

I had the same problem with clicking whenever I streamed calls or music. It seems to have improved since the firmware update.

Similar issue, I call it the ‘metronome’ sound. Repeated clicking sound. Occurs in one device at a time, and can occur in either device. Happens when streaming audio or telephone. Does not occur when streaming television via Oticon TV Adapter 3.

I am using iPhone 7 with Oticon OPN 1 HAs (SW ver 4.0) and have had this problem on iOS 10.n, 11.0.2, 11.0.3 and 11.1. Problem still exists but is intermittent in nature.

Also, it should be noted I have has similar issue with Resound Linx 3D and Earlens products.

Sorry to hear. I’m using the iPhone 7 Plus, OPN firmware 4.0, iOS 11.1 and the clicking issue went away after OPN firmware 4.0 was installed.

Do you have another iOS device you can try out? Like an iPad or a friend’s iPhone? Just to see if it’s maybe due to the iPhone 7 you have or not.

How do you know for sure that your OPN has firmware 4.0? Your audi told you so? Ask them to show it to you on Genie 2 just to see it for yourself.

I had it with the old firmware, but now with 4.0 and iphone 7 and 11.1 ios I didn’t experience it anymore

I use the Oticon ON app on iPhone. It gives visibility to Software Version and Firmware Version, as well as Serial Numbers I reported SW version 4.0, which is accurate.
It also provides this info:
Firmware: au2cs3fw4.4.4 (which seemed kind of cryptic to post).

I have an old iPhone 5S, maybe I will give that a shot. When I moved to iPhone 7 I was battling other Bluetooth issues with Oticon Streamer circa iOS version.9.n. That would be a good test.

Thanks.

Thanks for that hint about the ON app showing the firmware and software version on your aids. I had never discovered that before but since you mentioned it I have now figured out how to get the app to display the information.

My OPN 1 aids seem to work fine with my iPhone 8+ running IOS 11.1.1 software. I occasionally get some very mild intermittent “static” while I am streaming that only lasts a few seconds but otherwise no problems. My guess is that this may be due to some kind of outside interference on the 2.4 Ghz frequency that is shared by Bluetooth.

I’ve written about this in other threads.

I’m having exact same issue and it started with IOS 11.0 and still remains even with 11.1, 11.1.1 and even the 11.2 beta 2.

It happened on my iPhone 7 Plus and my IPhone X.

Despite what others will say, this class of issue was not fixed with the 4.0 firmware.

I’ve changed my HAs and even tried Widex Beyond Fusions and they were affected as well. So it’s not an HA hardware issue.

I’ve written to Apple and they replied to me a few days ago confirming that this is indeed a bug and are investigating it but could not provide an ETa.

I strongly recommend everyone who is having this issue to write to Apple at accessibility@apple.com with complete details on what the issue is, when it started and what you’ve tried. Also mention you’ve heard others have had this issue and be forceful that you want this fixed since it impacts your hearing aids.

If more people report the issue, it will get more attention. I’ve worked at large software companies and issues like these related to accessibility are treated very seriously if there are lots of reports of a bug.

2 Likes

I have Signia Pure 13 BT and have had this clicking but had always been intermittent. Actually haven’t noticed it since IOS 11 and I’m up to date w/ 11.1.1. If it does happen I just open battery door and close. It goes away. My HAs BT have been working well with iOS 11.1.1.

Hello There

I currently have an Oticon hearing aid and Pro 1.3 streamer.
For the past 3yrs I have enjoyed the ability to answer my iPhone 6s and communicate telephonically via the streamer.
Particularly as I am a construction project manager and work in a very noisy environment most days.
I would like to be able to hear my television and other audio at home in a similar fashion.
Oticon have a TV adapter, but the price in ZAR is ridiculous, to say the least.

Any solutions out there?

Warm regards from
Grant

Your Streamer has a 3.5mm jack on the bottom, correct? You can ‘hardwire’ yourself to TV audio with a cable and a few adapters.
Alternately, I see ConnectLine adapters on eBAy for less than $100. I used them regularly and think they are worth the investment, made hearing the TV much easier for me.

Thanks for sharing the Apple address. I contacted them today to make sure they know the issue is still present.

I went to iOS 11.1.1 today. Hard to predict outcomes because symptoms have been very intermittent previously (seem to only persist if the call is IMPORTANT).

BTW, discovered a loop-back telephone number today. Some of my friends and family probably getting tired of me calling to see if my HAs work.

Loopback #: 909.390.0003

I got a reply from Apple today, one that doesn’t inspire confidence of a fix coming soon. Reminder, I’ve filed at least 15 Big reports through their developer beta program and emailed them every time.

I was being driven mad by the clicking in my Resound hearing aids. They were old, so I decided to get the OPN1, hoping it might improve matters.
Still the clicks continued. I showed up in the Apple Store in San Francisco with a typed page of 5 observations of the behavior. They replaced my Iphone X with a new phone on the spot. Clicking was less but still present, and there I was with one day old OPNs and a 20 minute old iPhone! Still clicks…Going home and spending more time and experimenting, I have concluded it is definitely due to Bluetooth interference becasue if I close (using the full close procedure) other bluetooth apps the clicking really does goe away almost immediately. I can duplicate it anytime. I was running TILE tracker to help me find keys. I was running the oticon app which is connected by Bluetooth to the aids. I was streaming music as well or i was on the phone when one or both of these apps was open. That makes potentialy three bluetooth apps at once: Phone or Music; Tile; Oticon App. Further experimentation (I have spent hours on this!) showed me that I could start a phone call or stream music to the hearing aids and THEN open the other apps w/o casuing clicks. In other words the order of opening the apps affected the presence of clicks! This is wholly unacceptable as you dont want to close your Tile or Oticon app and potentially lose track of the aids or the keys etc. while on a call. But it is nice to know what it is dontcha think.? There is a lot about bluetooth interference on the web you will see. It is a growing problem.

I thought it was just me, but on my new iPad mini with my OPN 3 devices I recently (since recent iOS updates) have been getting the clicking that others are describing here. Sometimes a reboot makes it go away, sometimes not. It’s actually at the point where the integration is NOT usable. I wonder whether the ConnectClip will be subject to the same, and whether this is purely iOS specific…

P.S. not obvious to me, but how does one subscribe to a topic here w/o replying to it?

Click Tracking on the bottom left to get some choices.

1 Like

Thanks, that was not obvious :slight_smile:

Neville, what’s the news on the availability on the ConnectClip? My daily driver is Android, and while I’ve been using my iPad for streaming, I really need to use my OPNs with my PC and Android device (bi-directionally with microphone)… My provider has had no news on this… BTW, I’m in US. Oticon has been totally cagey on this, and have actually ignored my FB messages regarding (both public and private).

You might want to borrow or buy a microwave leak detector. A bad microwave is a health risk.