Oticon OPN 1's stopped working

I’ve had the OPN 1’s for a couple of months, and have really enjoyed using them with the ConnectClip paired to my Android phone and to the Bluetooth dongle in my PC.

Friday night early in the evening I was streaming a video and everything was fine. I knew they were probably on the last day for batteries, and heard the low battery chime later that evening. So I put new batteries in and did the repairing so I could watch another video.

It wouldn’t connect to the left HA - no surprise because it’s done that before - just tried it again. Sometimes it connects to the left HA but not the right, so I tried it again. Sill wouldn’t connect to the left HA. I checked the Sound options from Control Panel (I use Windows 10); went through ‘forgetting’ the ConnectClip, repairing it to the HA’s, then trying the Bluetooth again. Nothing.

This morning I went through the same routine, still no joy. Tried new batteries. At that point something really weird happened. When I put in the new batteries and put the HA’s in, there was no connection sound - they appear to be dead.

I’m going to call the audiologist Monday and see what happens.

1 Like

This may be asking the obvious, but beside me batteries for the OPN, is the battery in the Connect Clip fully charged as well?

Yes - I usually do the streaming at night, and when I’m done, I leave it plugged in to recharge overnight.

Is it an issue with pairing the Connect Clip to your PC? Or is it an issue with pairing the OPN to the Connect Clip?

It may just be the Connect Clip going bad instead of the OPN going bad.

1 Like

If I understand, the aids are not working at all now?

When you get to your audi and the aids are are connected to Genie2 you might look at the end fitting screen:

I believe the numbers given for each device are the number of pairings in the aids for each type device. I found if you click on the trash can symbol (hard to see), it will decrement (forget?) these. When I was trialling the Opn1s with demo aids I saw three pairings for phone. I have no phone that will pair directly with the aids so I deleted these. There is some maximum number of total pairings the aids will support I am sure.

I thought it was originally a problem with the ConnectClip, because I couldn’t get the sound in the left HA. Then after I put new batteries in the HA’s, I wasn’t getting the connection sound from either HA.

Hmmm. I will ask her about the number of pairings. If I have to go in to get the # of pairings reset, that will be a royal PITA. But right now, I have no idea why the aids aren’t working.

There should be no need to re-pair the ConnectClip to the aids after replacing aid batteries. When I replace batteries I will put the aids in my ears and then turn on the ConnectClip. It will immediately connect to the aids (solid yellow light) and then the phone (solid blue light).

1 Like

I found the FAQ for the ConnectClip and it says the following about deleting Bluetooth pairings: “To delete Bluetooth pairings using ConnectClip, your
client can press and hold the multi-button, volume up and
volume down buttons for 10 seconds to clear all
Bluetooth pairings.” Well, that worked, but now my Android phone says when I turn the ConnectClip on that “No nearby Bluetooth devices were found”. ???

That would be the expected outcome. You deleted the pairings in the ConnectClip. But I believe to delete the pairings in the aids you will need to use Genie2. You can try re-pairing the ConnectClip to the aids and your other devices using the procedures starting on page 16 of the ConnectClip instructions.

OK - I’ll just wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

WTF? I hope you get this resolved soon too!!! (was looking at those hearing aids as well)

Aaargh - when in doubt, look at the Troubleshooting section of the manual. It said that if there’s no sound, clean the mold. Well, I’m not sure how to do that, even though it had a diagram. I was due to replace the wax filter and the mold on Wednesday. So I removed the old wax filter and replaced the mold. Then when I was trying to hold it under the light so I could see to replace the wax filter, the Grip Tip was loose and I managed to get it back on upside down (again). So I will have to see the audi tomorrow and get that fixed. So I hope doing the maintenance will solve the problem. Other than my own klutziness, I have been extremely happy with these HA’s - just in daily activities and especially streaming with my phone or PC.

UPDATE: I successfuly replaced the mold and the wax filter on the other HA and it’s working now!

1 Like

So it’s a clogged wax filter afterall?

Yup - that’s why I said ‘Aaargh’ - I’ve only had the OPN’s a couple of months and this is the first time it’s happened - I should know as a former IT tech to ‘read the manual’…

LOL!!! looks like you had a brain fart hm?

1 Like

Hahahah…you got that right. We’re in the process of moving from one apartment to another and I’m a little stressed out (ha!).

Well, everything’s copacetic now. I was confused on the parts of the aids - it’s a dome, not a mold. And pairing the aids to my Android phone then the ConnectClip is a different thing than putting the ConnectClip in search mode then putting the Bluetooth dongle in my PC.

lol I see that!!!
don’t feel too bad on that part too