Oticon ON App: Android, complex issue

Hello, first time here. Have read the posts regarding dissatisfaction with the “update” to the Oticon app…my problem is perhaps worse AND more complex. So far audiologist with communication with Oticon has been unable to resolve…looking for help here.

Devices: R/L OPN S1; Connectclip; TV adapter; AND R CROS (I’ll explain).

All devices worked harmoniously until Oticon pushed out the update to the Android app recently. Now the App can only find the left aid, and the HA controls are also not working together: left control only controls program choices, not vol. down; right control only raises volumne in right HA. TV adapter only provides sound to left HA…of course, since it’s going through the app. Connectclip provides sound and control to both aids, since it doesn’t go through the app (I presume). None of this occurred before the app update.

Deleted/reinstalled app multiple times, tried pairing multiple times with two different Android phones, no joy, only left aid is found. Borrowed iPhone and both aids immediately paired (no, I don’t want to buy an iPhone just to make these things work together).

Oticon nonplussed, sending a new right HA. How that might help is a mystery.

Why the CROS? I have Meniere’s, right ear especially bad, frequent hearing fluctuation, often to the point the right HA is either too distorted or hyperacusis makes it impossible to use. When right ear is more functional, the HA pair is a better solution.

After all this TMI, my hope is that someone can tell me how to roll the App back to the previous version, or is smarter than the Oticon software guys (not hard), and can figure out how I can get back to a normal life instead of spending all my time fooling with my hearing toys.

TIA,

Mark

It sounds to me that you need an Oticon app fix/update to correct the issues. No experience with Oticon, so can’t help you there.

I started with my KS8 aids and an android phone. I quickly found out the limitations to that, and since the KS8 (Rexton/Signia) are MFi I switched to an iPhone. Just got a hand me down iPhone 7 from my son. Other than some issues with iOS 13 which are slowly getting corrected, it has been a big improvement. Prior to this I was dead against all Apple products. Still don’t like the way they operate, but you got to do what you got to do!

Thanks for the reply, but Oticon just updated the app recently, which has created havoc. I’m hoping for a way to roll back (very doubtful) or someone here can offer a solution. I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on an iphone just because Oticon’s app doesn’t work right with Android…heck even the iphone version only has two stars. My Android phone was expensive, too, and it’s only about six months old. I’m stuck with all this equipment, switching to another brand is not an option.

What is the app called? Is it Opticon On?

Erk. The suggestions I was going to make were dead in the water when I saw that you’d tried two Android phones. I’m not at all surprised at Oticon support btw.

I found Oticon ON update version history for Android - APK Download which- assuming it’s legit- will give you an apk file you should be able to use to roll back. Good luck!

2 Likes

I found that I had a ton of issues as well with my Note 8 and ON after the update. Instability and frequent disconnects of one aid (typically the left). I found the trigger seemed to be having the connect clip and the tv streamer both in use, ie. watching tv via the streamer and then get an alert on the cell which triggers the connect clip to relay to the aids. My ‘solution’, for as much as it is, when using the streamer, turn off the connect clip. When I do have an aid disconnected, I’ve found that I go in to the settings of the phone, open apps, find ON, force stop and then re-launch. ON after I re-launch takes its sweet time and finds both aids and then I’m good for a while again, until the next time that something goofy happens.

Thanks for all the replies.

artexjay, yes, it’s ON 2.0.1.8483

d+Wooluf, thanks for the link, it may be a step too far in my tech savvy, but I’m going to try it.

Brian MB, good suggestions, but in my case the app flat does not pair, ever, with the right aid on my Android phone. It worked fine before.

You’re welcome. And good luck.

Broadly, two things you have to do.

1. Give your phone permission to install apps that aren’t from the play store. That will be in your settings somewhere- phone-dependent.
  2. Download the apk file you want and access it (‘click it’ if you like) from your phone. That means either
    a) downloading it straight onto your phone- perhaps by entering that link into your phone or
    b) downloading it onto a computer and accessing it via a file manager.

Got it, uninstalled the updated version, successfully installed the previous version, pairing of left HA was almost instant, right aid was found, but message “waiting for partner…” was all I got. May not be a failure, though as it gives my audiologist and Oticon new information. Oticon is sending a new right aid.

If I ever get things working again I may switch back to the previous version anyway, as it’s more user friendly.

One last thing you might want to try is clear Bluetooth data & cache. Do this in app settings. You might have to enable a checkbox to see system apps, Bluetooth / storage / clear data.

1 Like

Good point, unfortunately I’d already tried it to no avail.

Perhaps someone can address my theory:

Audiologist pairs the two aids.

Audi then pairs the CROS with the left HA

Left HA forgets how to unhook from the CROS and reconnect with the right HA, and thus my problems.

Unfortunately the problem with this is that all three devices worked together before the update. But given the fact that with the rolled back app the app finds both aids (it never demonstrates that it finds the right aid with the update) but he right aid never pairs because it is “waiting for partner”. Perhaps that means waiting for the left HA to reconnect, but it is too busy being connected to the CROS??

Update. Removed the CROS entirely from the app, and some of the connection problems went away. I may have a $1500 shelf decoration in the CROS. Button control is now back to normal. App is still super unstable, impossible to use with tv streamer…constantly connects to, say, left HA, then instantly disconnects, repeat forever.

I understand from my audiologist that many other users are having the same problems, with solution being to uninstall and reinstall the app, pair the aids, and…do it again when it fouls up. I also got a hint, nothing confirmed, that the ON app is going to be replaced. I hope it’s more than rumor.

I’d like to hear from others who have problems with the updated app…

I had issues with the old app as well, but at least when I cleared Bluetooth data & re-paired the aids I had a few days use before I had to do it again. This new one is just unusable.