Oticon More 1 Firmware 1.3.0 update - Hands Free

I read the description previously a few times and the reference of putting the “receiver to your ear” is confusing to me. Also not clear to whose benefit… you as the caller or the person you are calling….

Yeah, I remember hearing a few Phonak users complaining that the Phonak mic pick up setup option (for their HAs that have the SWORD chip) don’t do so well in very noisy environment as compared to just using the mic from their phones. But I don’t think Phonak even gives them the option to use the mic from their phone anymore with that setup, does it?

Of course I’m not a Phonak user and I’m just commenting here based on my recollection of hearing some Phonak users complain about some drawback of using the HA’s mic during phone calls. So it’s not based on first hand experience or anything like that.

Finally an Oticon-branded description of how hands-free works.

1 Like

At first I was upset that I would have to wait until May to get my aids updated to the latest firmware, but with all the issues I have been reading about I am in now hurry to get them updated, maybe Apple and Oticon will figure out the issues by the time I get my aids updated

Have you managed to get yours updated yet Chuck? I have an appt for 5/23 but if they still don’t have new contracts I will probably cancel and reschedule down the road.

Yes I got it May 3rd. It has improved connectivity some but not completely. It seems to have improved the sound quality and my speech understand. I turned off the hands free because I prefer to continue using the iPhone microphone.

3 Likes

Boy am I glad I have NoahLink Wireless. DIY baby.

I have no desire to do my own aids. After a career as an electronics technician/engineer/ software engineer, I am through tinkering with any of this stuff. I have a wonderful audiologist at the VA clinic that has as good as told me I will be getting what is next from Oticon that is fit for my hearing needs. There is no way I could even come close to fitting myself, knowing the time that my audiologist has spend on the phone and in emails with Oticon’s developers and audiologists. I am in good hands now and I know it.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not programming my hearing. At this point, I’m just juggling programs in and out of my HAs. I’ve renamed my user ID, too, so when it comes up as a connection on my phone for calls, I connect to More 1, rather than my name. My programmer also did a great job. In fact, he’s teaching me.

It is strange that you mentioned programs. Except for using the TV adapter I don’t even touch my programs or volume anymore. I don’t even have to lower the volume when wearing my helmet and riding my Vespa. I am feeling as close as possible to having normal hearing. I can drive or ride in our Jeep GC with all the windows down. No feedback issues at all anymore. Honestly while I can hear the difference between my default program and the MYMusic program I prefer my default program. I can hear and understand people that are wearing face mask. I still have to stream my calls and the landline is unusable except for using the speaker phone.

I original had 1) General 2) Speech in Noise 3) MyMusic and 4) Comfort

I moved #4 to Lecture, which is really good listening to sermons in church.

I don’t have a TV adapter at this time, but I’d like to be able to switch out a program number for that on occasion if I want to. If I get to go a Broadway Show or museum in NY, I’d be curious to be able to try the T-Coil. I’ve never used one. Don’t forget I’m new to the HA business.

It’s a hobby.

I think back over my 18+ years of wearing hearing aids. My first 2 sets of aids were ITE aids that had no controls, and no connectivity. So I only had the default program and the hard set volume. I survived okay but not great. My 3 set were MiniRite with no controls on the aids and only a single program, but it came with a streamer that controlled the volume and allowed for streaming music from an iPhone only. My next aids were ITE with a streamer that had t-coils for theaters, and worked with my iPhone and even computers with a special dongle. Then came the OPN, OPNS and the More aids. The progression has been great, with capacity to hear. But with that comes complexity that too many around my age can’t handle. When I do my volunteer work most of what I hear is can’t they make these things simpler to use and were we can hear out of them.

2 Likes

You don’t need a Program slot for the TV Adaptor.
It’s like the ConnectClip Mike , where it’s automatically enabled when active.

I’ve never used t-coil, but @cvkemp can offer advise. Do you need a Program slot for t-coil, Chuck?

Yes the More does require a program slot for the T-coil

1 Like

When I was demo’ing the more 1s, I had a set program for t-coil, which was ridiculous because there is little use for it out in the real world. So, now I have the option if I ever go to a venue with it. I just looked it up… Yankee Stadium uses it. I’ll enable it when I take my son!

1 Like

I still have my t-coil program, but I told my audiologist that my default program is so good that I don’t need the t-coil program except for when I just have to use a landline phone. I have just about talked my wife into doing away with our landline phone and just use our cell phones.

3 Likes

We migrated our landline number to a T-Mo sim, waited some amount of time, and then migrated it to google voice. All it does is collect calls we didn’t want to answer anyway. There is a voicemail if it is important. Listen to them on the app on your phone or tablet. Can even answer the incoming call if you really desire to…

WH

@WhiteHat, we did the same just to keep the number. Paid $20 one time fee to be able to keep the number alive in Google Voice.

TBH, it seems to me that TCoil is dead… or dying at least.

Nah. T-coil is super useful. Yes, it’s prone to interference, but typically, this isn’t an issue in most locations.

Everyone here is talking about landline phones, which is true. But also, consider that a set of telecoil headphones will give you high quality, no-latency, no battery drain analog stereo sound out of any standard audio jack. Which means you can connect to: computers, audio mix boards, museum acoustiguides, airplane audio, legacy auditorium systems (common in US), instruments and more.

Bluetooth will help you in exactly none of these situations. And even if you jury rig it, you’ll be introducing significant latency that can completely ruin the experience.

Don’t get me wrong, loving having MFI bluetooth on my aids— but it’s not perfect and it doesn’t even connect to a MacBook (Why not!??). So it’s not really a solve for even a WFH situation.

T-coil isn’t dead.

3 Likes