Oticon More 1: Can you turn off streaming audio with buttons on the aids?

I just upgraded to More 1 and finally figured out how to answer & dismiss iPhone calls with the buttons on the aids. Is there a similar way way to use the buttons to stop or re-start streaming music or podcasts without having to access my phone? This function is available with ear pods & headsets.

I enjoy listening to podcasts & don’t want to have to scramble to find my phone to stop a streaming podcast when somebody starts to talk to me; they can’t tell I’m already listening to something & it’s frustrating for both of us. I’ve searched this forum & elsewhere; apologies if this is something everyone but me knows!

Not that I know of, I have been wearing More1 aids for over 2 years now and they are great. But you will need to keep your phone or streaming devices close by to stop the streaming other than the calls.

1 Like

:disappointed: Thanks for your response! Seems like a pretty big oversight!

No it is just the way that IOS MFi functions. There isn’t anything you can do at the aids to stop it. May sometime in the future they will figure it out. But I believe that Bluetooth low energy audio will the the next generation for aids. But it will be slow to happen.

1 Like

Apple AirPods and other MFi Bluetooth headsets and earpods are able to play/pause audio as well as answer/dismiss phone calls, so the lack of audio play/pause function seems to be an Oticon decision as opposed to a MFi limitation.

2 Likes

As it was explained to me Apple doesn’t want the hearing aids to be able to do everything that apple can do with its own air pods. Apple doesn’t release everything that MFi is capable of to other companies. And then there is the very low battery power limit that hearing aids have. The air pods don’t have near the battery life of hearing aids either. Just remember that aids are intented for understanding speach and not really designed for music.

1 Like

I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised about that!! Still, it’s my understanding that many of the new OTC aids have this function, so it seems that if Oticon really wanted to provide this function, it could.

Well if the over the counter will work for your hearing loss more power to you. Most of the OTC don’t have the battery life that true hearing aids have. And to be honest I have worn aids for 20 years, and Oticon aids for 13 years. My hearing loss is such that I just want to be able to understand conversations the best I can. I haven’t been able to enjoy music for over 30 years. OTC aids are a joke when it comes to my hearing loss.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry you aren’t able to enjoy music, even with today’s hearing aids!

I wonder if there’s someone on the forum with more detailed technical knowledge than I have about HA architecture who could tell me whether/how the Bluetooth function of accepting & dismissing a phone call is different or more technically challenging that stopping/re-starting a streaming podcast.

I am not sure, I am a retired IT Professional, and before that an electronic technician/associate engineer. I have tried to find more information and the hearing aid companies are very close lipped. They give you just enough information that it really isn’t worth much. Bluetooth has evolved a lot, and the Bluetooth engineers are light years ahead of what the hearing aid companies are capable of doing. But then again hearing aids have been created from the beginning to be for hopefully understanding words and not enjoying music. Granted hearing aids have come a long ways towards being more musical but it is only in their infancy. And as for as Bluetooth is concerned hearing aids are even more behind the curve.
I was once asked what do you need more to understand what someone is saying to you are listen to music. Of course I need to understand what people are trying to say to me. But then again I grew up when music over the air was AM. I remember having 8 track tapes, and when car radios first started to get FM.
I have an appointment for my hearing test Friday and I am fully expecting to hear the lecture about CIs again. Yes I am at that point.

1 Like

Is your audiogram up to date?

Your audiogram part from the two middle frequencies that are just in the severe range, the rest is in the moderate range and lows are in the mild range.

Does insurance cover CIs when hearing is that good?

I know you don’t live in the UK but here you have to hit the profound range in a certain amount of frequencies before they’ll even assess you for a CI.

1 Like

Rather than start another thread I want to throw out a similar question. If I’m hooked up to IOS CarPlay listening to my Spotify playlist on the cars speakers and receive a call it pauses my music to answer the call through my aids. The problem I am having is that when I end the call the music goes to my aids, not the car speakers. Very annoying and unsafe. My setting on the phone are set to automatic routing. I had to reboot my aids 3 separate times yesterday after receiving calls. Is there anything I can do to force the music back to the car speakers with rebooting. Thanks. Sorry for jumping in but these are so closely related I didn’t think a whole new thread was justified. I also have the More 1.

2 Likes

According to Apple, the automatic routing setting will send audio playback to the last connected device:

"Audio Routing: Choose the default device for audio playback from the following options.

• Auto: The last connected device will play audio.
  • Always: This hearing device will always play audio.
  • Never: This hearing device will not play audio unless you select it"

In your scenario, your hearing aids were the “last connected device” after your call so your Spotify playlist will start playing there. A tedious workaround might be to set the routing to “Never” for media audio when you’re in the car, but that’s just a guess.

2 Likes

I traded in my iPhone this summer and got the Samsung S23 and have been so happy with my choice. Yes I lost full hands free calling, but I never used it in the first place. But I have gained, streaming seamlessly from my android phone, my iPad, TV adapter, and connect clip. Yes my connect clip is working correctly and not dropping the streaming. I have the More1 aids not the newer Real aids, well not yet anyway. I have an appointment this Friday and will have to see what my VA Audiologist has to say.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting article on the evolution of wireless connectivity for hearing aids. It’s about a year old at this point so still reasonably up-to-date: