Oticon launches Opn hearing aids and Velox platform

Ok, but I guess that if they had used a 20 bit dsp, they´d have said that.

I still think that bernafon does an awesome job and 96 dB dynamic range is enough when used wisely, but with higher bitrates, the whole process of processing becomes easier. You have more headroom, that´s why in recording technology, 24 bit are used.

Anyone else read their studies to back up their figures? or have a copy? The boards at AAA stated they used a positive SNR and the subjects only needed 70% correct scores. I remember thinking this isn’t a very challenging setup. Anyone else read it?

I was at the neurologist yesterday for a test that watched my pupil in various situations. Afterward, I asked if a 20% increase in size would indicate a 20% increase in the brains comfort at understanding speech. She didn’t really say. Instead she game me a dubious look I might start touting holistic medicine next. :slight_smile:

Noticed that Oticon now has new website and in the professionals area, it states that Opn will be available in May. I hope so. Here’s the link http://www.oticon.com/professionals/opn/

May 22nd is the last day of the launch event in Orlando. At every other launch event, we are able to order devices AT the event and they usually give some kind of incentive, such as “buy 4, get 1 free, plus a tv connect and phone connect, and a pair of demos.” I don’t know that it will be like that this time, but it has every time the last few years.

I have not read the studies on the Opn that they are basing their numbers off of, because they are largely irrelevant. All of those statistics and studies always result in averages anyways. So its not like I could have a patient come in wearing Alta2 Pros, or any other device for that matter, and be able to guarantee anything to them, specifically (Which is why I do my own tests for every patient and set expectations for THAT patient based on MY tests). And to be honest, I don’t think I have ever had anybody walk in my door and say, “I am here to get the devices that will improve my memory function.” People come in to a hearing center or an audiologist office looking to improve their hearing. Most average people don’t even fully grasp why the connections to brain functions are important.

Opn will only be launching in 1 level of technology, miniRITE form factor. As they’re relying on the receiver in the ear wire to act as the antenna for 2.4GHz transmission it could be a while before it launches in other form factors.

So, do you know if Opn will have direct audio streaming (no extra device needed) to Android? MiniRITE is good for me.

According to the releases so far it’s IOS only, but that doesn’t mean the integration isn’t coming.

Do you know if these MiniRITE will also be custom power mold compatible?

Generally companies launch every 2 years a new product. Resound and Starkey launched 2.4 a while ago, it means nothing really, and now Oticon goes this way also. When they come out we will be able to see if they are better and there is something new about them compared to the existing products Lynx and Halo. Later this years rumor has it that Phonak will also follow the 2,4Ghz route. Trial periods will tell us more. On paper it seems kind of revolution. ALL the other companies are copy one each other, and now are more equal in products than ever before have been.
I think in UK they launch on the 25th, so will have more news then.

It’s not quite a rumor when it’s stated in their investor relations presentations (slide 43) that this will be occurring near the end of 2016.

And the chip cycle is usually longer than 2 years, though you’ll get an incremental move every 18months.

They are likely to be MFI aids. Apple evidently enhanced the driver for BT Low Power. The standard doesn’t have a bi-directional speech service in it as yet. If Apple doesn’t submit it to the BT standards committee, it may be reverse engineered over time while avoiding any Apple patents. Then Apple will likely sue as would a host of tech companies.

I don’t know how long it will take for Android to provide what Apple has. Part is the hardware which must be capable of servicing the driver. That part is obvious with Samsung which has a premium BT part and can do adjustments but cannot transmit the sounds.

It will be interesting to see what Octicon comes up with. I’m not an Apple fanboy but I did get a used 5s to work with my KS6. I also have a phone clip for Android. I found it annoying and broke it once – which they covered. Actually, the sound through the Android phone with phone clip seemed somewhat better. But not enough to give up the convenience.

According to the official datasheet it only offers direct audio streaming from iOS devices. The device is available with a power mould. The 55 - 65 hour estimated battery life for the 85 gain receiver option is rather low.

Well, that 5 days or so. That’s about what my Rexton aids provide. People report the latest Siemen typicallyget a few days more. A pair of battery are in the $,50. I won’t go bankrupt at 10-cents a day.

I have a fascination with computer technology and when I first heard about the OPN I was still in the the trial period of my Alta Pro2 Ti miniRITE aids. As a new HA user it seemed wiser to stay with an older device that has some history rather than try a cutting edge device. In the two months I’ve had them there has been a connection issue with my Streamer Pro 1.3. I’ve recently learned the problem developed during the most recent iOS updates. It seems odd the problem couldn’t be fixed by one of the parties during that time. Because the OPN and iPhone interface seems to be a major attribute I can’t help but wonder about the priorities of Oticon and Apple for keeping the interface working over the life of the aids.

I have the Alta Pros and the streamer pro 1.3 and with the latest IOS update 9.3.2 my bluetooth connections seem better than it was before. With that said. I am still having issues with my streamer pro and my TV connect, and the VA has just upgraded my TV connect from the old TV connect to the newer TV connect 2. I will say the sound is much better but the connection breaks easier than with the old TV connect which sounded terrible but once the connection was made it held the connection.

Thank you Chuck. Knowing that it is not happening to everyone suggests that for those of us with the issue one of the three devices has a problem. I’m curious if there have been any times you experienced a call dropping from the Streamer but not from the phone? I’ll take a call and randomly I no longer hear it via the Streamer and have to lift the phone to my ear only to have it randomly again reconnect to the Streamer.

I seem to have more of the issue with my phone dropping the call. And times when the volume of the streamed call will change.