Oticon introduces Oticon More

Dr Cliff’s latest video says it will support LE Audio.

They have a non trivial color - pink! For those chasing some statement from the aids :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed at some point, the technologies becomes too deep/complicated for normal people to follow even if they want to understand it better. But I think the new technologies are real and not just empty marketing hoping that something will stick, at least not for an established company like Oticon.

Whether this new DNN technology and new amplifier technology are effective or not, and especially effective for YOU or not, can only be determined by your trying it out. When Oticon came out with the “open” paradigm and the “brain hearing” concept, there was a lot of doubt and it also got labeled as too much marketing hype. But even if it were really hyped up as accused, when the rubber hit the road, at least the OPN still did perform well enough to garner enough followers to turn it into a popular model. For those people who are wearing the OPN and the OPN S, the More is just a continuation and improvement of the open hearing and brain hearing paradigm, so I think the More should be successful with those users as well.

Unlike the OPN S which is only an incremental improvement over the OPN with the feedback prevention technology, the More seems to be a much more significant change because it replaces the OpenSound Navigator (the “heart” of the OPN/S) altogether with the deep neural network technology. So hopefully such a significant change (core replacement) will come with a noticeable enough improvement in performance.

1 Like

He said the same about the Resound ONE. In that instance, he seemed to base his claim on Resound ONE’s BT 5.2 connectivity. From what I can tell, BT 5.2 is required for LE Audio, but it doesn’t by itself guarantee LE Audio compatibility. I never saw anything from Resound promising any future LE Audio update. Oticon are claiming ‘prepared for LE Audio’. That sounds good on the face of it, but are they actually promising anything? Is the hardware itself capable of supporting hands-free calls for instance? A bit more information would be nice.

Just a post to tell that over here (Netherlands) the More has been delivered to my audi. Not for me though. I will be testing a set of Paradise P90 beginnen on 27th of jan.

However, he was kind of skeptic about the Oticon claims since according to him, they are quite prone to doing bold claims.

But he was going to fit them onto someone, so by the time I will see him again he might have some info on them for me.

1 Like

I actually asked ReSound directly about this:

Can you confirm what Bluetooth version ReSound One runs on and what this means for people? Thanks!

ReSound ONE (as well as ReSound LiNX Quattro and ReSound ENZO Q) use Bluetooth 5.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy, or BLE) for audio streaming. It allows people to connect to Apple/iOS and Android devices. With BLE’s lower power consumption, people will see increased battery life between charges (25 hours of continuous streaming; 30 hours w/o streaming). We also think it provides people with “future proof” technology because BLE will be the platform for majority of new devices that people will want to connect to in future. NOTE: LE Audio, using Bluetooth 5.2, was announced at CES 2020 but the standard is not yet available for any manufacturer’s products to be certified. All ReSound ONE devices will be Bluetooth LE 5.2 compatible with a future hearing aid software update.

4 Likes

good news! Thank you!

1 Like

Listening to Dr. Cliff’s video he does seem to know what he’s talking about regarding LE audio eventually coming to Oticon More and the email from Resound adds credibility. However, I think his claims regarding ASHA are off. BT5 and Android 10 are necessary but not sufficient to be ASHA compatible

There is a list of compatible devices, which I link to from my new write up here:

1 Like

Well first off I’ve always been one who likes change (or should I say options) in HA technology and the possibility of hearing better with new aids. Oticon seems to be bringing something new to the table, but only time will tell if its a move in the right direction. Now feel free to disagree, but I’m very confused by Oticon Fitting Chart as it relates to (105) power receiver dome.

If someone has a severe to profound hearing loss they in all likelihood will require a custom full shell ear mold. Not a open base dome, nor a power receiver dome of any kind. The reasons are many and tests have shown a dome fitting will not handle certain levels of amplification nor reduce feedback. Seriously when you view the Oticon fitting chart for power receiver dome - Oticon seems to be saying the More aid can be used for someone with a serious hearing loss. I have a hard time believing that when Oticon More just offers a dome. Is this intentional misleading advertising.

Secondly, (and we can disagree on this) a 312 battery is far from ideal for someone with a severe to profound hearing loss. Yet Oticon seems to believe the 312 rechargeable battery is just fine for any level of hearing loss. You would think Oticon would at least offer a size 13 battery, but such is not the case. Maybe down the road Oticon will replace the Xceed with a More power aid, but until that happens I wouldn’t offer the More aid (under its current design) any where near someone with a severe plus hearing loss. Its just not going to work and also cause a lot of user frustration.

Where are you getting that the rechargeable battery is a 312? I don’t think that is the case. I don’t think it’s any “standard” size and is supposed to provide a full day’s use. The 105 receiver only comes with a custom mold (their Power Receiver Mold) I suspect anybody who needs the 100 receiver would also be happiest with a custom mold.

1 Like

The 105 version requires a custom mold as seen in the data sheet below, and the More only comes in the rechargeable version.

Thanks for illustration. I got caught up seeing “domes” across the line for each More selected aid and should of realized the !05 version uses a custom mold. That now makes more sense in dealing with the level of hearing loss for soeone in the severe to profound range. I did briefly try to review battery size but didn’t find anything, though you would think a BTE aid would take a larger size battery then a 312. So I’m encouraged I was wrong about the dome for the !05 Version and assume there might be a rechargeable size 13 battery for the 105 aid.

So now the question is would one be better off testing the Oticon More 105 for a severe to profound hearing loss and by passing Oticon Xceed? I’ll have to check the Xceed fitting chart but it can’t be much different from what I’m viewing for the More 105 version. I’ve held off testing the Xceed due to poor reviews and Audi saying the Resound Enzo Q was a better aid. Well the Enzo Q didn’t work out due to occlusion (with no air vent), some off and on chirping sound and a extremely bad mold fit in one ear. Also didn’t notice any major change (in hearing) from older aids I’m wearing.

Phonak Marvel also has a SP aid out for a couple years, that might stack us against the Oticon More, but I’m guessing the Oticon More is similar to a super power aid, versus an Ultra power. Maybe some feel its the battery size that determines an SP from a UP (size 13 vs 675) but I tend to believe a ultra power aid offers more power to those who need it, excluding the larger battery size. In any case I’ll have to do more research on the 105 version and find out if it can be considered for someone with my hearing loss.

Thanks for replies MDB and Volusiano.

Your hearing loss appears to be moderate/severe. Unless there is something not obvious about your audiogram the Exceed aids are not needed. The 105 receiver would not be needed either, especially if you were fitted properly with custom molds. The smaller receivers would possibly be more comfortable too.

Well I know my hearing has dropped since my last test. Audiogram I posted was probably four, five years ago. Word comprehension is not great, and off the charts with masks being worn. Question to board. This fitting chart and illustration Volusiano sent regarding the 105 version, seems to show a receiver encased in a clear mold. So am I reading the tea leaves correctly and the More 105 version has the receiver in the ear mold and not in the hearing aid itself. That would be a major change from the Enzo Q and possibly the Xceed, as far as receiver location.

The Oticon More mini-rite is a receiver in the canal aid. The Exceed is a behind the ear aid.
The mini-rite is what I call a RIC aid, Oticon calls it a RITE I believe. Either way it’s a receiver in the canal aid.
The RIC aids are great aids too. If they fit your loss, that’s great.

Well this is getting interesting since I thought the Oticon More would be for someone with a mild to mid range hearing loss, before all the info came out. We can kick back and forth the pros and cons of having a RITE versus Receiver located “behind the ear/aid”, but I’ve worn for many years Widex Super 440 which happens to be RITE. I’ve always wondered if someone’s brain or inner ear gets more accustomed to a RITE over a long period of time. Honestly it seem HA manufactures go back and forth on this issue of receiver location. In any case I’ve had my Widex Super 440 forever (2013) so testing a RITE new aid should be a plus. Apples to Apples though different aids. So now the only adjustment I’ll have to make is leaving my 675 disposable batteries behind and go the recharging route.

Question about recharging batteries. Does a fully recharged battery keep its basic strength throughout the day cycle (say 12 hours), so that the hearing aid fully functions morning, noon and night? I know as a fact that when a disposable battery gets towards its end point, the wearers aid will slightly decrease in performance. So just wondering when a recharged battery get down to say the last hour of use, will the users hearing aid slightly weaken or deteriorate in performance? Also any one know the life span of the Oticon More battery and how often it has to be replaced? And when it needs to be replaced can I or my Audi do that switch, or does the aid have to be sent to the shop for Oticon to replace?

In the Oticon More spec, the expected battery operating time is 24 hours. So even with constant heavy streaming all day long, you can probably still get away with a 16 hour day easily before it needs to berecharged. As long as there’s plenty of reserve to spare, I wouldn’t expect a deterioration in performance in the last few hours of your daily use.

On the OPN S rechargeable, the battery can easily be replaced by your audi at the office, not need to send it in. The More would probably be the same setup. I wouldn’t be surprised if the More battery and the More charger are the exact same things used by the OPN S R.

Since the OPN S R was only released in early 2019, I haven’t heard of anyone who has had to replace their rechargeable OPN S R batteries yet from this forum. So you can probably easily expect a 2 year life, but more likely a 4 to 5 year life span even.

2 Likes

Volusiano - you are a world of (good) information. Getting back to one of my previous posts regarding RITE. One of Oticon More’s links says “hearing aid uses one of the following speakers”. Well I should know better but are we saying the speaker in the ear piece is also the same thing as a receiver?

Also due to my hearing loss I definitely have to use a full shell custom mold, acrylic. Yet when I bring up the same link that refers to “speakers” all I see is “dome sizes” for the More aid. One would think with the size of the of the 100/105 version speaker/receiver Oticon would require an acrylic mold, since I doubt any dome size would be big enough to encase. I should mention though I’ve yet to see any reference in More spec., that mentions the option of a custom ear mold.

1 Like

I am currently using opn 1 hearing aids with custom earmolds and 105dB receivers. They are beautiful to me, even though I have a deep degree of hearing loss.!

2 Likes