Oticon Intent disconnecting/turning off

I had a brief episode today of my right aid disconnecting, effectively turning itself off. I discovered this while streaming something off my Iphone and only hearing audio on the left. I then checked accessibility settings on my Iphone and it showed both connected. I doublechecked the wax filter and dome. Nothing. Next I checked the Oticon app, which said the right one was disconnected. I was able to use the down/up volume buttons during this episode and could hear the tone in both aids, but neither action had any effect on the output of the right hearing aid.

Next step: I put the aid into the charger for a few minutes, then returned it to my ear. All was fine, it showed connected via IPhone settings, and the Oticon App took a second but said it was connected. Final test was to listen again to a streaming audio off my Iphone. All was back to normal.

Hey @Oticon corporate people: I’d like to think this is an aberration on a unit about 3.5 weeks into its test period. It sure better be. I’ll be alerting your purported customer customer service line in the morning and making a note of the issue with my audiologist.

With kindest personal regards, I remain, sincerely, etc.

Have any other early adopters of the Intent hearing aid experience this?

I have eorn aids for 20 years and Oticon aids for 14 years. Yes the restarts or shutdowns do happen on rare occasions. And with a new release it is very possible to have firmware bugs that can cause issues. As a IT professional software bugs are a given, and always will be. Now if it becomes a common occurrence then definitely contact your audiologist. And also understand we as hearing aid wearers are customers of our hearing aid providers and our hearing aid providers are the customers of the hearing aid companies. Is it fair? Probably not but it is the fact.

2 Likes

Mr. Kemp: Indeed, you are correct. After perhaps 10-12 hours on the phone with Cox Communications, Apple and Yahoo following a transfer of email service from my Cox to Yahoo, my tolerance for tech problems wears a bit thin! I’m putting down a marker with the company tomorrow to be sure this is on the record.

My first thought was: if I can’t “shut down/reboot” the aid myself (and I did not try the long press to see if I could force it to shut down), and I am away from home without my charger to effectively reboot the unit, how the heck am I going to get it working again without going nuts from being effectively deaf in one ear?

Best wishes, sir.

Eliot

I don’t have the INTEND aids, i have the Real1 aids and doing a power down and restart is simple. My Real1 aids sometimes will freeze when cycling the programs with the remote control i have for my aids. I hate to pull out my phone any time i want to make adjustments. The only thing i don’t like about rechargeable aids is not being able to mute my aids with the buttons on my aids.

1 Like

I think if it is a one off then it should be OK. I remember when I got Oticon Real, it rebooted once but then hasn’t done it since, and it’s been over a year now. Previously I had Oticon Opn and I had to get them replaced under warranty as they just kept rebooting constantly, like multiple times a day so that was an issue and I had them for nearly four years by that time.

I am getting Oticon Intent next Friday. At the end of the day, it is still technology and it can misbehave occasionally but as long as it isn’t consistently happening, then you should be good.

3 Likes

you use remote control? which one do you use? and for what types of situations? is it useful?

I just deleted my response as I only now figured out the question from fontez was actually addressed to Mr. Kemp. Personally, I find the Oticon iPhone app a total pain in the butt and huge drain on phone battery strength.

Oticon has the Remote control 3 which i have for times i don’t want to pull out my phone or look like i am playing with my ears. I use it mostly to mute my aids if noisy environments get to me, or I use it at church to switch between programs. I use the t-coils while in church services because it gives me the best understanding of the sermon but i also use the MyMusic program for when the choir is preforming. When i go to the concerts at our local theater i use the remote because we have to leave our phones at home, our in our vehicles or power them completely off. The concerts sound great with the MyMusic program but i have to turn the volume all the way down and to be honest i have been to a few i have muted my aids and ilthe music was still too loud.

And good alternative for phonak roger 2? For I use with oticon intent.

I don’t know, I use the connect clip. It is versatile can be used to stream between Bluetooth devices rhat the aids cannot directly contact to, it can be used as a remote control and can be used as a remote microphone. I sometimes have my wife or some that i need to hear in a noisy environment wear it. It doesn’t filter that great and isn’t that directional but help

For example, at a table in a restaurant with a lot of noise. Do you put the remote microphone on the table? Oticon’s edu mic?

My wife will clip the connect clip to her blouse. Sometimes my pastor will clip it to his tie, etc. It isn’t good for multiple people around the table.

Roger 2 possible put in table for hear all people n?