Oticon Intent button controls

My husband is trialing Oticon Intents – he is new to HAs. I’m a longtime user, but still on my OPN 1.

His audi set up his aids so the buttons control programs. In order to control volume, he has to open the phone app. With my OPNs, I can push the buttons in the middle to change programs, and push the edges to control volume. It’s pretty discreet. I think it’s socially awkward to have to open an app.

How do you use the buttons? Can they be programmed to work like my OPNs?

Somewhat related…husband was at a dinner and had trouble, so switched to Speech In Noise, which was a little better. He then switched to Lecture (which I don’t have) and found it was much better. Not sure that makes sense. But I also wonder if he would have had better luck with SIN if he could have played wth the volume discreetly.

1 Like

The buttons can be configured to change the volume, change programs and turn off the hearing aids. I am trialing the Intents also (previously have the Reals) and have them configured as follows:

• Short press on the right side - Volume Up
  • Short press on the left side - Volume Down
  • Long press on the right side - Change programs up the list (it cycles through thew available programs)
  • Long Press on the left side - Change programs down on the list (it cycles through the available programs)
  • Very long press on either side - power that hearing aid down

In my case, I do prefer to use the app on the iPhone more frequently than the buttons because of the benefit of not having to fiddle with the hearing aids. Also use the AppleWatch to change programs, mute the hearing aids, etc which I find most discreet. Nothing wrong using the HA buttons of course.

Your audi should be able to configure your husband HAs to change the volume with the buttons.

In my case, the speech in noise (SIN) program on the Mores was not really helpful as it made everything too loud. The SIN program on the Reals was better and with the Intents is working much better. The volume control may have indeed helped.

Hope that helps.

Hi Luga–
That makes much more sense to me. I asked the audi about combining functions but I had the impression (I may have misheard!) that you had to pick volume control or program control.

Using short and long presses is probably a good idea, too. Even with my OPNs and my relatively thin fingers, I sometimes change a program when I mean to adjust volume. Probably doubly problematic for anyone with bigger fingers.

There is also a remote control that is nice to have. I use it when i don’t want to pull out my phone or mess with the aids themselves. I have the Samsung galaxy S23 phone so i didn’t have the watch option.

1 Like

Your audi is incorrect that the volume control and the program control are mutually exclusive on the Intent. Below is proof that they can co-exist, with the program change via a long press and volume change via a short press, just like how it can be done on the OPN.

The only thing different is that because a very long press is dedicated for a shut down due to it being a rechargeable setup and you cannot remove the battery door to shut the aid down like with a disposable battery version, it takes away the option to use the very long press to Mute. So the only way to Mute the Intent is via the Oticon Companion app, or to turn the volume down to 0.

Thank you all so much. I do think our audi is terrific, and it is entirely possible that I misunderstood/misheard him. But you understand how that is!

I hope to dive into Intent soon but want replaceable batts. Audi said he’s heard rumors that could be in August.