Oticon Intent 1's 7 day experiences

I thought I would just spend a moment updating all of you lovely people on my experiences with the Oticon intent 1s. My previous instruments were the Opn1s Which are about 6 years old.

I have mild hearing loss Around the 4K area and spend a lot of my time lecturing in large conference rooms or in meetings. Even though my hearing loss is mild I was missing out tremendously in these settings. my previous hearing aids Were very good but I had my hearing tested again and it has slightly diminished and my audiologist suggested that it was time for an upgrade The price I paid was £2000 GBP for left and right with 5 years warranty and yearly remote access. The difference in quality is impressive as is the Streaming quality. I have open domes bass. I was very reluctant to go to rechargeables as I quite like the idea of having some spare batteries in my pocket should the need arise I’m getting about 12 hours use on a charge which is more than enough for me. The connexion with the iPhone is outstanding no glitches at all and the ability for the microphones in the hearing aids to act as the source of audio for telephone calls means that the telephone can remain in my pocket and to answer a call I just tap one of the buttons on the aids. I’m also using an apple watch so it’s very easy to see who’s calling me before I choose to take the call on my watch and press the button on the hearing aid To take the call.

I opted for the length 3 receiver wires Because on the loan equipment they were too high on my ears and were uncomfortable but with the length 3 wires I have no discomfort whatsoever. the most striking difference on these new aids is the clarity of speech with my new prescription I have so much more comprehension In meetings and lecturing. The sound is entirely natural with excellent placing an example of this was that I was repairing my granddaughters doll and one of the little screws pinged off when I was putting it back together and I heard it hit the door in my kitchen which was behind me to my left with perfect location accuracy.

It would be very nice if there was a travel case for charging which I believe is soon to be released But in summary I am delighted with these aides and really feel the step up from the Opn 1’s.

Wishing everybody well.

8 Likes

@JonathanC Thank you very much for your feedback, any chances you could tell us where you’ve bought the HA for £2000?
Thx

So no any miracle? Standard hearing aids with luxury price? Lately, I have become increasingly convinced that our cochleae will not allow us to experience all the benefits of even the best hearing aids. Apparently, this is why Oticon no longer produces superpower HA models.

Even the best of the best hearing aids, can’t fully give us back normal hearing. And I have finding due to my eye sight issues glasses no longer can fully give my normal eye sight back.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your Intent experience. Wow, 2K sterling is around only $2500 USD. How did you get such a great price? Here in the US, my audi quoted me $7900 for a pair of Intent 1s. I think that’s the full retail price, no discount. Also, you only get 3 year warranty in the US.

Have you had a chance to try the Intent 1s in noisy places yet? How does it compare to the OPN 1s in noisy places? More detailed comparison to the OPN 1s in any environment, but especially noisy environment, is greatly appreciated.

12 hours of use on a charge is much shorter than their advertised use of 20 hours use (if I recall correctly, but I may be wrong here). Do you stream a lot?

2 Likes

@Volusiano I believe most online retailer (in the UK) do years warranty on HA, brick&mortar on the other hand do 4 years.

Yes, £2000 for a pair of Oticon Intent 1 is an absolute smashing price, almost the same price I’ve paid for Phonak Naida Paradise P90 back in 2021, now Phonak Naida Lumity P90 cost around £2400 mark.

1 Like

To give you an idea…here in Canada, I paid $8000 CAD. The come with 4 year warranty.

2 Likes

That’s a little under $5900 USD. Still much more favorable than the Intent 1 cost in the US. And a year longer in warranty as well!

1 Like

I know it. I wanted to say that we won’t feel much difference between an expensive and a cheap model or between an old and new model. For example, I have two pairs of Xceed - 1 and 2, and I feel almost no difference between them. but the difference in their prices is big. Most likely you won’t feel the difference between Real and Intent.

Hi everyone, firstly the price. The audiologist I use is a chap called Syed and the company is http://myhearingcare.co.uk/ He discounted the aids because I had recommended several friends to him I believe the real price to everyone else is about ÂŁ2500 which is still a massive bargain. He is a lovely chap who listens to me carefully and adjusts the prescription accordingly. He has created me a program called lecture which is fantastic for when I am at the front of a large room of students. I also have a program called speech in noise I have not tested the aids in a noisy environment yet so I will update you on that.

As for the mic streaming to the iPhone when using the phone. While walking the dog I tested this with a friend, he said there was a lot of outside noise, like traffic and when I passed a school. He said that the aids did not do the noise cancelling of the iPhone mic and when I switched back to the iPhone he said it was so much better. From this test I will not be using them again for outside walking, To answer a call you just press one of the buttons on the aids. In a quiet environment they are superb and I tested this with the same friend who said that there was no difference between the iPhone and the aids.

I have not done a lot of testing to complete depletion of the battery. I will do this and report back the full charge duration when I have it.

As to the streaming audio quality, my audiologist sent me two strips of domes. My normal double open dome 8mm and the open bass dome. The sound quality with the open bass is slightly better but the step up from the Opn1 is very noticeably superior. I did change the receivers recently on my old Opn1’s so I know its not a factor of old receivers, they are considerably clearer, obviously a combination of the new electronics and I believe I have read that the receivers used in the Intent have additional wires, letting the aids know the db. of the receiver. This if you can believe their marketing they say that this ensures that the aids compensate for the tolerance of the receivers as there are wide variations in their calibration at the factory.

I suppose the acid tests are that I hear so much better with them and it was a big decision to upgrade as I was doing well with the Opn1s . Also there is much more balance in the sound between say the noise of the house alarm setting buttons, which were overly loud before and the sounds of the birds in the garden, and as I mentioned the screw bouncing on the kitchen floor. I can hear the television with a much lower volume setting in so many ways its a game changer. I am particularly pedantic about my hearing and had at least 10 adjustments when I first got fitted 10 years ago.

Finally comfort. the loaners were very uncomfortable and I thought this was due to the Intent’s being fatter than the Opn1s. With the longer receiver wires they sit further behind my ear and are very comfortable even when I am wearing glasses.

3 Likes

That’s not a retail price, the retail price is what the audi got them for. What you were quoted for is with the added services/care on top, and it can vary greatly from audi to audi. Some even offer “uncoupled” packages where you get price closer to retail [without the audis aftercare].
And as you can see there are rare places where they won’t price gouge you.

I have found I need to have the TV on lower now as well. More comfortable for my wife! I had the volume on 22 with Oticon Real whereas now it’s 16 with Oticon Intent. So that’s a positive!

1 Like

It depends on the hearing loss, and to be honest the audiologist. I am a veteran my hearing loss is military service related. My aids are and have always been nothing but the best and top tier aids from only the top tier brands. But my audiologist has been the key to getting the best possible out of the aids for my hearing loss needs.

I disagree, but thank you for trying to giving me a lesson on terminology. I would say that how much the audi got them for from Oticon should be called “their cost”, I wouldn’t call it retail price. When I said "full retail price with no discount above, I was implying MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price), but I cut out the MS part for short.

Below is the pricing as listed on Hearing Tracker for the Intents (I think it’s per each hearing aid, not the pair). You can call it whatever you want. I think it’s MSRP and these are the prices I’m talking about, which I call full retail price with no discount.

Thanks for the review. I am waiting for my intent 1. In another life time I had the same problem you have with lecturing and meetings. Only aid technology then was analog. It didn’t cut it for me, so I retired. So glad they work for you.

AFAIK Hearing Tracker, doesn’t list MSRP prices either, but please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s not that hard to figure msrp prices on your own, when some places are selling them for even half of the price were taking about, and still turning profit for sure. So I don’t know if you’re purposely obtuse or what’s exactly the point you’re trying to make here.

So true, I just think the prices been quoted are just outrageous, it’s crazy people are still even considering paying this, no way is it worth it! So many options out in the market to get a decent deal, this so called “bundled service” is just wog wash, we see it all the time here on hearingtracker, people can’t get want they paid for, I don’t know if people really do the research before handing over such vast amounts.

2 Likes

Boy, this is like a dog with a bone to prove me wrong over some dumb terminology, heh?

To not allow this silliness to go further, I will yield to you that this close to $8000 pricing for a pair of Oticon Intent is not retail price nor MSRP either. You can call it whatever you want and I will not fight you anymore over this and agree to whatever terminology that you prefer to call it.

All I simply wanted to convey right there and then was that this price quote of $7900 that I got from an audiologist is quite steep. There’s no need to nitpick over the terminology of what to call this pricing exactly.

I wouldn’t be too hasty to judge how people spend their own money if I were you. Everybody’s value is different, and if people can afford it and they are willing to pay the money for that product, who are we to judge them how they spend their money?

Oh yeah I get that, it’s true some millionaire isn’t gonna worry about how much his next Porsche is gonna cost, he gets to pay for the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty anyway(to bad if he doesn’t get to use it ) it’s just that I’d like to see more transparency in the market, the prices are all over the place and I’d like to think the market has moved on.

1 Like