Oticon Epoc and Bluetooth

let me know if you can do it

I am on week 2 with my Epoq/Streamer Trial & using it with a Blackberry Pearl (8100).

From the Streamer You Can:
W/“Phone” Button
Answer Incoming (Short Press)
End Call (Short Press)
If your phone has voice Dialing Last Number Re-dial & they are activated
Last # re-dial (long hold)
Voice Command Dialing (Short Press)
I think the only way you could speed dial FROM the Streamer is with a voice command.

Long Press on Music Button (during a call) will Mute/unMute your HA Mics

Any Command Started from your Phone wll:
Automatically engage the Streamer into phonecall mode w/o having to push any buttons on the Streamer (ie. Speed Dial, re-dial)

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I’ve had my epoq’s for about 6 weeks now and I LOVE them. They have really expanded my sound range! (For example… my keyboard clicks as I type… who knew??? :))

My question: I am using my streamer on my office phone paired via a Plantronics BT reciever. It works great. I also have it paired to my cell. (Palm Centro).

The problem is that I have to re-pair the streamer to each device every day. So, when I get to the office in the morning I have to pair the streamer to my office phone. At the end of the day, I have to pair it again to my cell.

Make sense?

It DOES stay paired to my cell phone for the purpose of listening to music or streaming audio, but not to the phone portion.

Any way to keep the Streamer paired to both phones at the same time?

Thanks,

McKay

I believe the jabra hub can solve your problems
call oticon usa

I don’t have any problem connecting to my office phone using the Plantronics BT receiver.

The problem is that I have to re-pair my Streamer daily because the Streamer does not appear to be able to stay paired to two phones at the same time.

The Jabra Hub seems to be another BT receiver like the Plantronics one.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

McKay

How many devices are you pairing to your streamer. I believe there is a limited number. When that number is exceeded, it will remove the first paired. Works on a First in, First Out basis. So you could be repeating the cycle every day.

I only have two devices paired with the streamer. One is my Palm Centro and the other is the Plantronics BT receiver that is on my office desk phone.

Are you saying that the Streamer is only able to pair with one device at a time?

Thank you,

McKay

Definitely not. There would be a limit on the number of devices it can be paired with. If your only pairing with 2 devices, then it’s probably not the problem.

The other possibility is the Streamer is already connected to other Bluetooth devices that are active and within its range.

Joe,

You might be right about that. I am trying to find someone at Oticon who might be able to answer my questions. It may be that I am asking more from the technology than it is capable of at this point!

This does not take away from my satisfaction with the Epoqs at all! I’m still delighted that, thanks to my new aids, I have discovered my office floor squeeks when I walk on it! (I’m sure I’ll get annoyed with that sound soon!)

Thanks,

McKay

The Streamer can be “paired” with multiple phones & Audio Sources. (I can’t remember how many but if you exceed the number of devices, it will over-write the oldest).

BUT…
Only one phone and One Bluetooth Audio Streaming Device can be active simultaneously. Your Palm & the Plantronics are both using handsfree profile and only one could be the “active” connection for phone at a time. Switching between them automatically is not possible unless they were located outside the BT range from each other. (same holds true for 2 BT Audio sources) switching is done manually unless they are far apart.

General Info…
There are 2 types of bluetooth profiles in the Streamer. One is the handsfree profile and it is used for phone calls, the other is A2DP which is used for streaming audio. (MP3 etc.) If you wanted to, you can have a 3rd device active by using the plug connection.

Streamer will automatically prioritize the use of the devices based on what they are and what their transmission status is. If you are listening to music (either corded or A2DP) and the phone (Hands Free) rings, it switches to the phone mode.

In order to be connected to 2 phones simultaneously (ie. cell & office desk phone), you would have to use a Bluetooth phone hub (I think Jabra & Plantronics have them). In that case, you pair the streamer to the hub and make that connection active. The hub is used to switch between the cell or the desk phone. (I have not yet tested it but that is how it works in theory)

Another way to have both cell & desk phone simultaneously is to replace the desk phone with a bluetooth enabled phone that is linked to your cell. AT&T, Panasonic & V-Tech have these types of phones. (Siemens has some too but they don’t seem to be available in the US.) In this setup, The Cell is linked to the Base unit of the Desk phone & the Streamer is linked to the base unit of the desk phone.

Hi All,

I have been using my belt clip on my streamer all summer. I clip it to the strap of my purse or to the viser in my car. It works great! I have not needed the cord around my neck.

McKay

Squeezer - Thank you for the reply. I’ll take a second look at the Jabra Hub. I thought it was the same as my Plantronics reciever. But your explanation says not. :slight_smile:

Thank you,

McKay

McKay,

With further research, I’m no longer sure that the Jabra Hub will allow you to be connected to 2 phones simultaneously. I’d call Jabra to be sure.

When you read the Jabra descriptions & look at the photos really closely, it shows the use of a specific Jabra headset type. Which seems to imply the multi phone function is part of the headset and not part of the hub.

A Streamer user who is not going to be using the special Jabra headset may not get the multi-phone functionality.:frowning:

If you find out more, post back.

Squeezer,

I think you might be right on this.

The manual for the hub says that it is able to pair with mulitple headsets. But, I think the issues is that the Streamer is only able to pair with one phone at a time.

:mad:

This issue is really more of an annoyance than anything else.

I know that Oticon has upgraded the Streamer firmware at least once. Do you know if they are planning to continue to do so?

I wonder if this is an issue they might resolve in future versions??

Thanks for your help.

McKay

I doubt the Streamer will change to a concurrent multi phone capability. Jabra is the only company I found that has headsets that will do that.

I expect it will have to be a work-around on my part.

I will probably just forward all my office calls to the cell and stay paired with it. (I don’t get alot of office calls so it would not eat up a huge # of minutes)

If I spent alot of time on the office phone I would probably just pair to it during work hours.

The new cordless phones that will pair with your cell phone don’t seem to be the answer either. Most do not seem to have a Bluetooth handsfree profile for headset use. The only hopeful ones I found are made by Siemens but they are not available in the US.

Short of wearing a 2nd Bluetooth Loopset (Artone or Beetle) I don’t think there is currently a solution.

Oticon generally, do not upgrade their software. In the past, once an aid was release it was it, no update on the soft or the firmware. However, the new fitt. soft has a option to upgrade the firmware of the new instruments…
They do not make a lot of revisions, so i would not expect
a lot of changes from them

Thanks for your thoughts on all this! I am SO satisfied with the Epoq’s overall, that this stuff feels quite minor.

Thanks again for your help.

McKay

I would not expect an upgrade on the instruments themselves. They have already done a firmware upgrade on the Streamer, though. I am wondering if they will continue in that mode.

I wore my last pair of aids for 10years! I hope to get that out of my Epoqs as well. I assume that the BT technology will change significantly over the next few years. I hope that if and when they upgrade the Streamer, it will still be compatable with the Epoqs.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I continue to be thrilled with the recent surge in technology for hearing aids!!

McKay

After a 6 week trial on a pair of inteo-m, I am returning to my EpoqXWs w/ Streamer.

I was over-all more satisfied with the Epoqs sound (and probably would have been even w/o the Streamer)

I only wish I could have tried what the Stereo sounds like with iCom (Phonak) or Tek (Siemens). Alas, I can’t justify spending $700 - $800 on top of the cost of aids just to get stereo, “Voice Zoom” or a treble adjustment.

In order to get remote functions with Phonak, you have to buy a 2nd appliance (MyPilot), In order to get both phone & streaming audio w/ Siemens, you need both Tek Connect & Tek Transmitter. So either one costs more than double the cost of Streamer for the same functions.

Overall, with the exception of no stereo, I think Streamer is a better deal and does not require carrying an extra component around with you (if your cell streams music anyway).

I will be looking into my options for my office & home phones, also at a possible loop system or the Sennheiser 820S for TV.

Just as an FYI…

My Plantronics 510S headset will switch seamlessly between the desk phone and cell phone.

But - I don’t use the plantronics headset… I use the Streamer. This confirms for me that it really is an Oticon issue.

It really is one I hope they will consider addressing. Given that it is not just a BT headset… but it part of the hearing instrument, that functionality is more important than to a non hearing impaired user. (From MY perspective anyway… :))

I guess I need to write a note to Oticon.

McKay