Oticon Engage hearing aids suddenly stopped working

Hi, my first post and I would like to ask for some advice.

My 82-year old Dad was fitted with Oticon Engage hearing aids from the UK NHS a couple of weeks ago. They worked fine for a week then suddenly stopped working, without emitting a ‘low battery’ warning. We changed the batteries fro fresh batteries and neither hearing aid would restart. Dad left the hearing aids for a few days then tried again and they resumed working. Another week on and we have the same problem.

I have done a bit of research and I am wondering if this could be a moisture problem and leaving the aids for a few days allows them to dry out? I can see some drops of moisture in the tubes to the ear mould.

Could moisture be the problem here and, if so, what would be the best way to resolve it?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes moisture can travel from the ear into the hearing aid and stop it working.

Does he have thin tubes and domes or ear hook and ear moulds? That’ll help decide on the solution.

1 Like

Hi Zebras,

Many thanks for responding so quickly.

His hearing aids have an ear hook and ear moulds.

Replace the wax guards.

@billgem

Engage don’t have wax filters.

They are BTE Aids.

1 Like

He needs to put them in a Dry and Store or dryer jar when not in use…

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zephyr+dry+and+store+hearing+aid+dryer&crid=DVHVJAJ6EM9I&sprefix=dry+and+store%2Caps%2C111&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_13

2 Likes

I have to put the Xceed into the drier everynight to get the water condensation at the tube (just after the hook) dry up. There is no wax guard at the ear tip. I am going to change it acrylics molds soon. I could pull the transparent tube out of the ear hook. It is connected tightly. If I can pull the the transparent tube out from the hear hook, Then I could dry it by warm air (air dryer).
I will check with Audi on how to puul out the transparent tube.