Oticon Engage - Can't hear on iPhone

Hi all, I recently had my old NHS Oticon Synergy aids updated to Oticon Engage. Audiologist set everything up for me on the Companion app. Really pleased with the general clarity but for some reason I can barely hear anything when I receive a call on my iPhone. The voice of the caller is so faint, as if the volume is set at just one above mute. I’ve tried everything I can think of and even my technical whizz of a son tried to sort it but we couldn’t. Makes no difference if the volume on my hearing aids and phone are set at max. The irony is, the only way to contact my audiology department is by phone!

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and how you solved it. Don’t know if it’s me not having a setting right or if there’s a fault with the hearing aids themselves.

This may be a crazy question but is the volume on the iPhone set to a high enough level. The only other thing I can think of is the audiologist didn’t set the correct volume level for streaming in the Gene2 software so the volume is too low.

Thanks. Yes, I’ve tried with the volume set to maximum on both my iPhone (11) and also my hearing aids. Makes no difference and the caller’s voice is still really faint.

1 Like

If you already turn your iPhone volume up to max level and the caller’s voice is still faint, most likely the “Phone Loudness” setting on your aids in the Genie 2 software is not set up correctly. Below is the screenshot of the Phone page, and you can see that the Phone Loudness is set at the default value (in the middle. If yours is like this, there’s still 2 notches on the right side to increase the phone loudness. Usually the loudness should be at least adequate at the default level. It’s possible that for some reason your phone loudness setting is set to a lower value (to the left of the default level). You’ll need to see your audi again to check for this Phone Loudness level and fix it.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. I can’t see any way of accessing this information myself, so assume it’s only on the audiologist’s system. I can’t phone to speak to him for advice or an appointment unfortunately, so I guess I’ll have to drive to the hospital and speak to reception to book in.

Well, if you’re inclined to DIY, then you can go to the DIY section of this forum and ask for a link to the Oticon Genie 2 software download, install it on a Windows PC (that meets the requirements), then you can at least create a profile and run a simulation on your profile to learn all about the Genie 2 parameters. If it seems like something you want to proceed, then you can start buying a NoahLink Wireless interface on eBay or Amazon to actually connect to your own hearing aids. Then you can actually change the parameters on your HAs yourself and not just “simulating” with the software only.

Do note however that I think the Engage is locked. You can use a code to unlock it. PM @Zebras for help with this if you want. Probably should do this before deciding on spending the money on a NoahLink Wireless. The rest of the other Oticon models are unlocked, though, AFAIK.

2 Likes

Oh I wish I could, as I really like to have control of things myself, rather than have to depend on others, but sadly I’m not very technically minded, so would probably struggle to do what you’ve suggested unfortunately.

Sure, I understand. Not everyone is DIY inclined. Especially for hearing aid DIY, you also need to be technically minded as well like you said. If you’re not, you better not try it.

But the bottom line is that at least now you know where to ask your audi to check, specifically in the Phone menu under the Phone Loudness setting.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. That was brilliant advice, as I’ve been driving myself nuts thinking I must be doing something wrong.