Oticon Data Logging

I’ve got an iphone as well (actually switched from Android when I got HAs a couple years ago - primarily for the direct streaming capability) … I agree iphone controls are handy … I just think Oticon could do a better job with their app(s) … considering how $$$ the HAs are …

I agree that the app is not must more than useless

I can’t say this for sure, but my gut feeling is that using the ON app will drain your OPN faster than using the iPhone MFI interface. Why do I say this? It’s because every time you open up the ON app, it attempts to make a connection to your OPN. That requires the OPN to communicate and respond back to establish connection. Meanwhile, the MFI interface is already readily connected to the iPhone all the times for direct streaming.

So the ON app is like a pesky side app that keeps bothering the OPN, requiring its extra attention (and battery power) to respond to, all the while when it’s already in communication with the MFI interface by default. So using the ON app is basically forcing the OPN to communicate to another extra interface, when just working through the MFI interface alone should already fully suffice.

Now if you use Android, there’s no MFI interface. So the ON app interface is necessary. But for iPhone users, the ON app is redundant if you only use it for program and volume change.

1 Like

Interesting… Think I"ll try … how do I shut it down though? Doesn’t it automatically connect to the HAs when you put them on/have them paired with phone?? Do I have to uninstall the app? Wow, this forum told me I had to “wait” one hour to post this… said I had “reached maximum number of replies a new user can make on their first day…” .too chatty I guess …:slight_smile: will this happen every day???

You simply close the ON app to shut it down. You can delete/uninstall it if you want, but it’s not necessary. Just close the app and it’ll break connection to the OPN and get closed off. On the iPhone, just double tap on the Home screen to see all the apps being opened, then slide up on the ON app to close it.

I don’t know what all the rules for being a new forum members, but I guess once you’ve posted enough posts or waited long enough or whatever the requirements are, the restriction will be removed. It won’t be like that everyday.

This is an old thread but since I’m wondering about the Philips’ data logging function I thought I’d just tag on here and ask what’s changed since @Volusiano posted screenshots. I assume most hearing aids with data logging are similar.

I don’t think monitoring how long I wear the aids every day is very useful to me and feels kind of big brotherish. I also know which programs I use most and whether I turn the volume up or down. Are there any more sophisticated data collected yet?

For example, I saw in one if the posts something about being in a soft, moderate or loud environment. Even that’s fairly crude in terms of providing us useful info, but how would the aids even categorize snd collect that?

Can we see anything about the range of frequencies we experience and at what dB levels at a particular time on a particular day for example? Or in a particular environment? Or periods when certain frequencies spiked (potentially associated with when we dropped the volume)?

It would be nice if we could use these data to understand our own hearing better. And to help make suggestions to the fitter.

Data Logging is not designed to provide information to the person wearing the hearing aids. It provides information to your audiologist. For example; if you complain that your hearing aids are too loud (a common complaint for many when they first start wearing hearing aids) it makes a difference how long you wear the hearing aids each day.

1 Like

The kind of info that you’re looking for (volume level based, or frequency based, environment based, etc OF THE SIGNAL instead of of the user inputs) would require sensor-based detections on the sound signal, which is not trivial and would have to be designed into the hearing aid, which would be adding cost and most likely real estate as well on the chip in order to detect for data collection. So it does not justify the benefit (if even much at all to users or HCPs or the company) compared to the cost of doing it which would far outweigh the benefit.

The existing data logging is software based that would be just recording the already available user-based inputs that the system would have to respond to anyway, without needing additional sensors to detect, and can be readily collected much more easily at no additional cost. So it’s easier to justify collecting and making that kind of data available rather than with the other kinds of data that you’re looking for. But like you said, since YOU are the one who provided those data, you already have a rough idea of how much they are, so they’re redundant data that you already know in your head. So like @pvc said, the current kind of data collection is more for the HCP and for Oticon than for you anyway because they don’t know your inputs like you do.

2 Likes

Thanks for your explanation. Good info to know. IMO then they should just reduce the price of the aids and forget about including the easy-to-collect but pretty much worthless data.

Why can’t the audiologist just ask the wearer how long they wear them? Mostly a rhetorical question. Just pointing out the pointlessness of collecting such data–except maybe in our data-crazed world marketers for the manufacturers can tout it as the latest greatest up-to-datest. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t really cost them much more money when they write the software to add some additional code to collect and log the data. It should be fairly trivial to add a few more lines of code for that kind of thing anyway. Certainly not costly enough that if they avoid doing it, they’d be able to pass along whatever miniscule cost saving to consumers, enough to reduce the price of the hearing aids. It’s really just peanut cost to them to do in the grand scheme of thing.

It may be worthless data to you, but there’s more value in that data to the HCP and the company to collect. Yeah, the HCP can just ask the wearers how long they wear them, but the answers may not as accurate and dependable as the real data collected because there’s no human fuzziness involved.

Yeah I get what your saying, but it’s actually good information for the audiologist, no good for us doing DIY of course.

Just because it costs them nothing extra to manufacture doesn’t mean they don’t jack up the price along with the hype. Just sayin’

Doesn’t look like much for the audi even. In the aggregate for the manufacturer maybe. I was kind of excited years ago when the audiologist I was seeing said new hearing aids could collect data. I said great, let’s use it. We never did. Now that I see what it collects I see probably why we didn’t. I wonder what portion of audiologist’s use it.

And whether hearing aid purchasers agree to have their data used when they buy aids. I don’t recall ever signing such an agreement. But this is a far broader issue with data, data everywhere. So I’ll drop the subject.

It’s enough to judge what and when you use your programs and for how long, also how long your in a noisy/quiet environment, with this information they can then decide if you need extra programs or to drop/remove current ones, how offen you change the volume in these situations is also helpful to them, it can help them with offering accessories or not as well, it’s not useless data as such, but for those of us that already know…well it’s pointless.
As for letting them collect this to begin with, again a moot point, remember this is something that can be disabled, although you’d think they’d ask before activating it so at least you’d know, this goes for the Apps as well that are collecting data in most cases, your right about data collection and sharing of information is everywhere!

1 Like

Well, specific to the data logging issue per se, I don’t ever remember Oticon hyping about it in any of their marketing materials. And Oticon hypes a lot of things, just never the data logging as far as I can tell. In fact, as a DIY user myself, it was an obscure feature for me and I never paid attention to it until it was brought up here in this forum.

2 Likes