Oticon ConnectClip - any long term feedback?

Most of the ConnectClip posts offering performance feedback I see here are mostly just after it came out. I’m after specific advice on how it works interfacing for phone calls from anyone who has been using one for a while.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about connectivity issues and spurious noises coming through to callers from the mic, such as shirt rustling noises, and the bad clip quality. I’d be wearing one in an office environment, attached to my business shirt at the pocket, or clipped between the buttons, or on a lanyard, whichever way works best.

It’s not cheap if it doesn’t work well. Has anyone been using one for a while and is happy with it? Have you tried and given up? Have Oticon fixed any issues with either hardware or software updates since it came out?

Any info to help me decide if it’s worth trying would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I’ve been using the ConnectClip for several months now. I like the little bugger. I’ve asked callers if they sense that I am speaking through a Bluetooth-enabled device, and they say that my voice sounds fine.

I will admit that I have, on occasion, noticed some static when using the ConnectClip. However, this mainly seems to occur if my Android phone does not have good reception. If also happened after the recent Opn software update for the hearing aids. I deleted the hearing aids and ConnectClip from my phone and re-paired them all, and the static went away. I’m hoping that was just a fluke.

Positioning of the Clip is key. I wear mine on the lanyard and clip it close to my collar when I’m on a call. I hope this input helps you.

Thanks. Yes that’s great help. So are you saying it hangs loose in the lanyard when not in a call, and you grab it and clip it when on a call? Or is it lanyard and clipped all the time? My concern with being clipped all the time is if it would drag down and be annoying.

Here’s a link to the manual if you need it.
ConnectClip Manual

I have been using mine for about 7 months. Works like any bluetooth headset with Android phone. Use buttons on Clip to pick up and end calls. No issues except low volume from calls which was corrected with a Genie2 setting. There is a recommended orientation for best results from the microphone detailed in the manual.

I always use the buttons on the Clip to change volume as it is less disconcerting when in conversation. Easier to mute aids when needed.

I clip mine on the shirt between buttons.

Russ, You could wear it either way–whichever works best for you. Personally, I keep it on the lanyard at all times, because the clip itself isn’t super strong, and if it were to detach from my collar for any reason,the lanyard would “catch” the device from falling. I let it hang loose and then I move it to my collar when a call comes in. The button to take and end calls is on the clip anyway, so it isn’t too much trouble for me to move the clip up when I answer the call and let it hang loose when I end the call. If you are in an office setting and on the phone constantly, I can understand how you might want to keep in on the lanyard and clipped to your collar at all times, rather than moving it up and down like I do.

Great, thanks, that’s been a big help.

I’ve been using the ConnectClip since I got my OPNs in December 2017. I had previously used the phonak clip device and an earlier Oticon Streamer (with my set of SP8’s at the time).

I’ve grown to really like the ConnectClip, but it has two flaws for me.

1. no direct-audio input - you can’t wire it into a laptop/phone audio jack. Bluetooth only.

2. It can only be connected to one device at a time. The years-old Streamer model could connect to two devices at once. This means I can’t have it connected to my laptop for streaming audio/VOIP calls from it, and be connected to my mobile phone at the same time.

However, the big plus is it is tiny in comparison to all other streamers I’ve owned. I just clip it to my shirt pocket. The voice quality is good and the battery life given its such a tiny device is decent. i should probably look into putting on the included lanyard like @anon66854306 was suggesting because it is so small and light it can be easy to lose. However compared to previous streamers it is nice because it is so light you dont even notice you have it on, unlike the streamers that hang on your neck.

If you get one, make sure to have it updated to V1.1, and your OPNs to V6 firmware, it solves the connection dropping problem that was randomly happening previously.

I had the Signia version. It is the same device.

I thought it had too many limitations. Besides the one device connection problem and no headphone jack input, it had sketchy connection issues from time to time.

I changed to Phonak and bought the Com Pilot II. The Com Pilot II is thinner and more unnoticed on a lanyard, under my shirt. But the Com Pilot has 4 advantages. 1) It can connect to at least 2 phones and one Bluetooth device at one time. 2) It can connect by headphone jack. 3) You can connect a lapel Mic, which I do every day. I never take the Com Pilot II out. 4) It has solid connectivity.

I’ve also had the Resound Phone Clip+ and it connects to two phones/devices and has solid connections.

Yes it is perplexing that it’s only one connection at a time, but that’s probably a trade-off for the smaller size and battery compared to the streamer pro.

My case is really just for Bluetooth connectivity to my work phone, so one stream at a time will do, although it’d be nice to have the option to swap over to my iPhone without having to change pairing.

1 Like

Yeah, I was changing back and forth several times a day.

Any feedback on using ConnectClip as a microphone? I have iPhone so wouldn’t need it for the phone.

So what are you using for a mic on the iPhone calls then? Are you just holding your phone up to your mouth like a musician’s mic? This seems a very awkward way to use the phone to me. I’ll be getting my ConnectClip for work next week, but can see it being good for iPhone calls as well, assuming you can stream the audio in on an iPhone call, or do iPhone calls not have the option to take the input from the ConnectClip?

I don’t have a Connect Clip, and I have an iPhone. But I guess that if you want to use the Connect Clip with your iPhone so that you won’t have to hold the iPhone’s mic near your mouth, you’d just simply connect the Connect Clip via the iPhone’s regular Bluetooth and it should work. Of course in this case, you probably shouldn’t be pairing the OPNs via the MFI interface.

And I think what LawyerFL is saying is that he’s interested in using the Connect Clip for its remote mic capability, not for the phone streaming capability because he already has an iPhone for that.

Interested to know too as would like to use the ConnectClip in meetings and when I’m in the classroom with students. I know the mic part has to be pointing upwards but has anyone had any success with it being used in meetings with large groups?

I will be getting my new Oticon aids in early December, my new audi told me that his recommendations for the Iphone is to put it in my shirt pocket with the mic up, and the phone mic will pick up my voice just fine. But I am getting the connect clip so I plan on using it for my calls. I want to follow this conversation to learn more. New equipment means learning new things.

That should work. I have used my iPhone 6S that way before to activate siri. The issue is, even with my 6S, phones are getting too big for breast pockets now. My 6S sticks over the top of the pocket about an inch already, which makes it top heavy. I plan to upgrade to a XR, which is much taller and a lot heavier. It won’t be shirt-pocketable anymore :frowning:

1 Like

In an Android environment—if I accept an inbound call while the CC is NOT on, can I wake the CC, then reroute the conversation so that I receive the in-progress call via the Opn hearing aids rather than the phone itself?

for connect clip/streamline mic i have and used for remote mic but as stated by " [aggie60]" it should be weared by speaker as shown in 1st picture for better voice. if other direction or place used voice is dull like on coller(loose coller with first and second button open) or left facing or right facing microphone.
microphone method will be successful only if intended speaker agree to follow your instruction like lecture speaker how to wear and position microphone.
i ordered in hope that i can talk more freely but in practical it will never happen. majority of mine intended speaker not ready to wear it. or loosely wear so voice is dull.

Yes. As soon as the Connect Clip connects to the Phone the call will switch. Now, here’s the thing. What if the CC connects to another device first, like a laptop. Or what if it just doesn’t connect to the phone. It happens. You MAY have to do something else sometimes, to get it to connect. It can only connect to one device at a time, which is a severe defect. Signia/ Rexton/Costco KS8 use the same device, with the same shortcomings.

Don: thanks for the thoughts. I might have read somewhere in the distant past that a phone gets priority but I am not sure of which operating system that applied to. Regardless, I can work around that. I think it supports multiple simultaneous pairings but only one active connection. The priority rules would be tricky with multiple active connections and it is Oticon software dealing with thousands of BT devices—some elegant, many not.