Oticon Announces Oticon Intent™, the World’s First Hearing Aid with User-Intent Sensors

Well in the anouncment it was mentionet that there will be a 13 version, the question is when will it comes (1 month, 6 months?), atm only the rechargeable version are visible on the homepage.

A 13 version would make sense because I wonder how much more battery juice something like an accelerometer would suck up.

It would also be interesting to see if the Philips 9050 (which has been confirmed to have the accelerometer technology as well) will only have a battery size 13 version eventually as well.

They are lovely, my criticism is at a high level

At the moment it’s a three-way fight between Genesis, Nexia and Intent (not yet tested of course)

1 Like

rechargeable
no need for me to read on… till they get that fixed

1 Like

All I see is mention of a size 13 lithium-ion battery, which is the rechargeable one.

1 Like

I learned something new about micro accelerometers from the other Oticon Intent thread today. Thought I’d copy and share here. Perhaps they’re not the new energy hog I thought they might be.

1 Like

His head movements….:joy:

1 Like

oh ok then it seems that I haven’t read it correctly, but hope never dies

1 Like

@Neville
I truly appreciate the posts you make and the care you take

I think that we get caught up in the wordsmith’s craft. They invent a term to market their gear then turn it loose to the clients.

I worked for 3M for 15 years. They would make tape in 5 foot rolls. Then they would shred and package it. Some of the tape was private labelled. Different cores. Different packaging. Same tape. Different vendors.

I think that hearing aids may the same, except they’re not made in 5 foot rolls and slit.

DaveL

1 Like

Are you telling me my brand loyalty to Scotch is a lie?!? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

It’s not your loyalty to the tape that’s a lie…it’s just, the kilt is a deal breaker. Lose the kilt and your life will improve in oh so many ways!

The tape will still work as it did before, however. And your hearing will still be the same, too. Sorry.

Interesting @Neville, we Scots are not really brand loyal, when it comes to Whisky :tumbler_glass: basically as long as it is wet, then it’s drinkable :rofl: If I am honest, I prefer “Single Malt’s”… The Balvenie being my favourite, The Dalmore is another (Probably under 2 miles from my front door) and Oban Malt being my least favourite, but after about half a bottle, it started to taste just fine :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: Slainte Mhath

5 Likes

not all Scotts have a drinking hobby. its all in the usage of the brain. :yum:
Look at my audiogram. I use the 105 db receiver and I am amazed how well I’m doing in noise. I think my Reals help my brain along with all the visual cues to hear speech. It can be exhausting after hours of speech but it works. Thanks Oticon. :hear_with_hearing_aid:

1 Like

In truth @mstrmac… I rarely drink nowadays, I collect Malts though, but I usually end up giving them away to friends, I like to part with things I like :smile: If truth be told, Tennessee’s finest Whiskey, Jack Daniel’s No 7, is also one of my favourite tipples, once upon a time, I was told by a barman the following day, I had consumed 26 JD doubles, in an all day session with a friend, who had 26 pints, the barman refused us any more drink at around 3am, to say we where pissed, might have been an understatement :rofl: but those days are long gone, and most probably a third of that amount, would put me on my back… Cheers Kev :tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

You use oticon real 1? With custom dome?

I agree with a lot of your insights here, you betcha. Music is one of my passions, too. Now it COULD be that if the speakers are in front of me, and I’m in the “sweet spot” listening, I don’t have to do any more.

But you also prompted me to think of a scenario I OFTEN experience: streaming TV at night (I use a Roger ON iN, but others may have a different hookup). Would the Oticons let me stream beautifully and direct to the TV UNTIL someone across the room or behind me asks a question, at which time, I’d turn my head and maybe … VOILA! Their voice would take precedence over the streaming? I simply don’t know.

But that is why I don’t jack up the volume to MAX when streaming with the Roger. If I keep it at a magic level to allow streaming, I can also hear hubs when he asks ceaselss and endless questions or makes comments throughout the program. In my current state, I can get about 80-85% of what he says, but sometimes - he being a GENIUS with convoluted thoughts! - will launch into a technical “white paper” on the spot, and then I simply have to take my aids out of streaming.

Luckily, there’s no pop quiz afterwards. But the big picture here is that we DO want and need some kind of magic to boost human speech frequencies in myriad situations. Enable that in an aid, make it run on batteries, and I’d rob a bank to go buy a pair. Seriously.

2 Likes

LOL you were one BAD BOY! I’m hoarding a bottle of Shieldaig Single Malt … but have utterly gone OFF all alcohol 3 weeks ago to see if that helps what may be some autoimmune going on.

On the other hand, a spell of PAIN may feel better with a wee bit o’indulgence. Trying to see how long I can hold out. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Back to the topic here tho, I hope SOMEONE gets their Oticon Intent trial going so we can all learn about how it works! I wonder if Phonak has anything similar under development.

2 Likes

Hey, small world! My uncle spent his career at 3M up in MN. And yes, I suppose some “private label” aids are made by the big guys in HAs - ending up at Costco!

But I’m actually intrigued and impressed how Starkey, Oticon, Phonak and others are taking advantage of AI and other tech to actually create a unique competitive advantage in their new offerings. We can only benefit from all this research! Now … if only one of them would figure out how to put their LATEST, GREATEST aids into a battery-powered model.

(anyone here hear an ECHO?!)

2 Likes

Resound Nexia has two models with 312 and 13 battery, Genesis with 312.
Signia IX? Nope, Oticon Intent? Nope. Disgusting.

Vote with your wallet. Don’t buy the disgusting brands/models.

But just for reference, when the Oticon More came out first, they didn’t have the disposable battery version until a bit later. The Oticon Real I think has a disposable battery version right away, but then again it uses the same Polaris platform as the More. So it might be possible that the Oticon Intent might have a disposable size 13 model later on. Just not right away.

4 Likes