OTC hearing aids help

I have mild to moderate hearing loss. And since I don’t insurance, I’m looking to replace my current pair with OTC hearing aids. Perhaps someone who’s tried them can share their experience and make recommendations?

3 Likes

You haven’t posted your audiogram; but, I have moderate to moderate-severe loss. I have tried Eargo & Sony cre-10; neither one had enough gain for me.

2 Likes

Have you thought about getting a used pair and programming them yourself. Many people here do that.

1 Like

I wish I had the equipment and skill to do that. selfprogramming.

Reason? I have an iMac. I’m computer challenged. The Target software is pc based. I’m reluctant to buy the noahlink device and then find I can’t make it work on my iMac.

DaveL

Maybe a friend or family member has an older Windows laptop they aren’t using and let you have.

Plenty of cheap used ones in eBay also

2 Likes

Computer prices have come down a lot over the years. If the only thing you need a PC for is to run Target, you can get a new laptop that will do it for under $200, and can probably something used that will work for under $100.

1 Like

Thanks. I truly appreciate your advice We’ve talked before.

Hi bobbi

I have mild to moderate loss, dipping into moderately severe in the highest frequencies.

I have the Sony​ cre-e10 OTC aids and am generally very happy with them. Plenty of gain for me with lots in reserve.

If you are in the US, they can be purchased directly from Sony with, from memory, a 45 day return period. Also, they are discounted at the moment.

Well worth a try.

2 Likes

@bobbi
Interesting topic.

You used HA’s before you state. If one really takes his/ her hearing serious I would not go for the easiest way by buying OTC’s. Maybe I misunderstood but are they not more specifically ment for fashion.
Why do you want to exchange your HA’s for OTC’s. What are your wishes for the coming ups?

My hearing is not bad at all when I compare it to other members here. But I cannot agree that my solution will work for everyone because it worked for me. So I prefer the DIY solution, which, happy me, works for me.

It is like going to a restaurant and tell someone else to go and eat there because I thought it was delicious. I would ask about the ambience, the music, the furniture, the audience, the staff etc. That would give me more of an impression about what I could expect. Don’t know about others personal taste of food or even hearing and frequencies or sensitivity in dB’s.

But maybe a question to @thecaz . Do I understand well that you advice these Sony’s because of the gain that can be achieved in comparence to other kinds of OTC’s . Or are there some other advantages you don’t mention.

Return period and timely discount I agree are of importance although probably not Sony specific.
Strange enough medical devices as earplugs/ HA’s are not to be reused because of hygienic reasons and OTC’s can be returned and resold as new but out of box/ package.

Wish you good advices and luck in your decision.

Hi emile

To respond to your question to me, I only mentioned gain as a previous poster found that is was not adequate.

Obviously it will differ for each user and of course gain is only one of many considerations to be taken into account when choosing a hearing aid.

The Sony is the only OTC aid I have tried. I purchased it based solely on internet reviews and my own reasonably thorough research. The design and simplicity certainly appealed to me from the outset.

It is far more than a fashion accessory. It is based on the Signia Active Pro from a couple of years ago. Clearly not the latest generation of hearing aid technology but a real hearing aid nonetheless.

4 Likes

Thanks for the extra info. Is it Auracast prepared also?
I am very happy with the BT protocol I have in some but not all of my HA’s where I have the possibility to have 2 connections at the same time and also connection without accesories (as MFI and ASHA only ones) in between. Wouldn’t buy aids now without these futures.
Furthermore battery time is getting better… some of my aid’s want last a whole day!

My year old pair of Phonak HAs is not acceptable, mostly due to terrible bluetooth performance. My 11+ years old Phonaks with a compilot is much better.

Can someone view my audiogram and let me know what level of hearing loss I have? As an old retired guy, it will be difficult to buy another set of $4K plus hearing aids. I am wondering if OTCs might be an option.

Thank you, Jeff

Your newish Phonaks should be more than fine for your hearing loss- I suspect they have been poorly programmed. As for Bluetooth compatibility, very hard to find anything better… (using Audéos myself- Apologies for not addressing your OTC question).

1 Like

Hi Rob,

The bluetooth connects ok. It is just overwhelmed by the ambient noise making it useless.

It is probably a programming issue but I cannot seem to get them adjusted properly. :frowning:
Thank you, Jeff

1 Like

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s.
My audiogram is like yours.

I learned recently that the audi who dispensed them did not do good hearing tests. I went somewhere else and my hearing is 10-20 dB worse suddenly.

Ihave real trouble with high frequencies. So those are boosted now too.

The owner of the site posted instructions to create a program when I listen to people wearing masks. It really helped. It showed where my problem is. mids. highs.

I still have two sets of Phonaks with the compilot. First and second generation. I used to break the antenna on the compilot with the first one. Second one was fine.

I’m old; still working. I have trouble with bluetooth too. My Jeep Wrangler used to drive me crazy. I have apple carplay. I’d get a call on the road and answer wrong and be in voice message trouble all day.
Turns out I have paired a bunch of things using bluetooth. That’s a problem. If I answer a call right I’m good If I’m stressed I get more stressed with BT.

I don’t have experiene with OTC hearing aids. I thought of getting those Sony things for my ears, because I can put my audiogram in…

I was angry at my hearing aids for a year and a half…Problem was the dispenser didn’t know how to set them up. I’m going to someone else now, and it’s helped.

Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is very similar to mine. It is unlikely that an OTC HA would work for me.

I am trying to work with the audiologist to get the programming sorted out.

If I cannot find a resolution with him, I may try to find an alternative audi. Twenty or so years ago, I had to find a new audiologist when the original doctor I went to retired.

I am not looking forward to that process again. (see postscript)

Jeff

PS. It does seem to store the bluetooth settings between sessions. Very nice!

Brands to consider include Bose, Eargo, or iHearMedical. These companies offer hearing aids we can buy online without visiting an audiologist!!! However, before you make a purchase, it is important to understand that over-the-counter hearing aids may be less personalized and may not always provide optimal hearing improvement, especially if you have complex needs.

2 Likes