Osia (2) Complication

Unfortunately, a complication has developed in the last eight weeks with my Osia (2) Bone Conduction Hearing Aid.

I began to notice the skin around the magnet was becoming sensitive to being touched. At first I thought I was guilty of wearing the Sound Processor too long, so I stopped wearing it for a couple of weeks. It kept getting more tender even though I wasn’t doing anything to aggravate it.

I went in to see the Audiologist and her take was to make the magnet stronger. However, on closer examination, she decided to have the surgeon look at it first.

The surgeon thought a low grade infection might be the issue. He prescribed a 21 day routine of Augmenten with a follow-up a week after completing the antibiotic. I completed the antibiotic Monday morning and I’m waiting for my appointment date next Monday.

The possible solutions are, 1) Do nothing further if the sensitivity clears up. (It has not, I cannot wear my CPAP due to the strap on the mask sitting right over the coil on the implant. 2) Apply a nerve block. 3) Remove and replace the implant.

Hopefully, by noon on Monday, I will have a better idea of the remedy.

1 Like

Ugh. I’m sorry you’re facing this. I hope they have a great answer for you.

WH

4 Likes

So sorry to hear this. I know you have done great with up to this point.
Has anyone said what is causing this?
Could the CPAP be the issue?
Let us know how it goes on Monday.

2 Likes

I will update you on Monday evening. I’ve somehow scheduled two audiology appointments and one pain management appointment for Monday.

To pre answer your inquiry, no theories so far as to what has caused it, but, we don’t believe the CPAP has caused the issue.

I wear a stocking cap with the CPAP mask over the cap. So the mask does not directly touch my head. The pressure of the strap is causing the problem, which makes me ask; why didn’t it cause sensitivity before now? I wore the CPAP for three months before the pain started, and when the pain started, it was as if you flicked the on switch with the gain turned all the way up. I would have thought it would have gradually come on.

So far this doesn’t seem like it’s going to resolve on its own. Given the choice between the nerve block, and removing and implanting a new receiver/transducer, I’m leaning toward the nerve block.

Whatever happens, I’ve put a reminder on my calendar to update this thread.

1 Like

Hello,
You may have a fungal infection rather than bacterial. That is my suspicion. The human scalp is fertile ground for fungi. I would recommend you have your doctor do a scrape and see if it is indeed fungal. In the meantime, to be proactive, you could apply an antifungal (lamisil or the generic Terbinafine Hydrochloride antifungal cream) to see if it clears up. You will know within 10 days if its fungal.

1 Like

I’m so sorry this has happened to you. Hoping it l works out for you on Monday when you see your surgeon. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for you.

2 Likes

I apologize for taking so long to respond. I didn’t forget to respond, but I forgot which forum it was that I was going to respond to. The reminder with the link somehow disappeared (gotta love Microsoft).

But at any rate, you are not wrong about the fungal problem. I also see a dermatologist on a semiannual basis for seborrheic dermatitis and eczema. She has prescribed an anti fungal shampoo that I use daily, as well as a steroid cream to apply to my scalp to keep it at bay. Unfortunately, it’s a problem I’ve fought all my life, and until I found my recent dermatologist, no one had any help for me.

When I met with the surgeon, the pain had subsided, but not completely gone away. We talked about a couple of options, both of which were pretty severe, and we came to the conclusion to give it more time to see if my body can resolve it without intervention. I will see him again in October.

Since then I’ve only had a couple days that the pain was more than I could ignore. In those times, extra strength Tylenol beats it back until it’s ignorable. I’ve worn the sound processor every day during my waking hours to condition my scalp so that it is used to it being there. Last night I went to bed and forgot to remove it, so that should tell you how comfortable I’ve become with it.

I’m at a point now, that unless the pain reverts back to where it was, I won’t likely consider the surgical options or the nerve block.

Now if I can just figure out how to program the different sound filters, and get the Osia App talking to my Sound Processor again.

2 Likes

Piper, please see my response above this. I’m sorry I didn’t respond right away, but I couldn’t find this thread again.

1 Like