Optimization oticon intent 1

Does anyone who understands Oticon Genie 2 know the best settings for speech clarity in a calm environment? I hear people well, but I don’t understand everything they say, especially if I’m not looking directly at their faces.

My audiologist has had it tuned several times, but the same problem still persists. What’s strange is, with his voice I understand practically everything he says, whether in a calm environment or in a noisy environment. each person has their own tone of voice, and each place influences hearing, be it a quiet place at home, a calm place in a cafe, or a noisy place in a cafe, a stadium, a theater. anyway.

it will be possible to optimize the oticon intent 1 for all different possibilities of different tones of voice, from different locations. Intents have deep learning artificial intelligence. it’s possible with AI?

I hope you get some expert advice here, cuz I am on Day 2 of my Oticon Intent1 trial.

It sounds like this could be fixed by tinkering with the pitch or tone of the frequencies. You may benefit from an increase in HIGHER frequencies (women, children voices) to get the crisp consonants in speech clarity.

I’m guessing that the “optimization” you refer to will use the existing (and cast-in-stone!) Deep Neural Learning that was used to help Oticon focus on the human speech frequencies.

However, wearing the Oticon Intent1 aids, won’t help them LEARN who’s talking and how to enhance that person’s tone and pitch for better clarity.

Hi,
which fitting formula do you use?
DSLv5 or VAC?

Please try VAC! It sounds better in noisy environment for me!

You have a very tough hearing loss. I’m guessing that you can understand your audi who is a male better simply because you still have a modicum of audibility left in your lower frequency ranges, so you can pick up his lower tone voice better due to this. But for female voices especially, I think that’s where you probably struggle more.

Has your audi tried to enable Speech Rescue on the Genie 2 software for you? It’s a frequency lowering technology that Oticon has. It brings the sounds in the high frequency source regions down to a lower frequency destination region where your audibility in the lower destination frequency region is better than that of the high source region. Below is a screenshot example of it.

For your type of hearing loss. you should be using the leftmost 2.4 configuration so that the destination region is at 1.5 to 2.4 KHz. I know your hearing loss is already pretty severely profound there, but at least it’s still better than the source high frequency region between 4-7 KHz. And you should probably leave the High Frequency Bands setting to ON as well, so that you get both the lowered sounds, and the amplified original high frequency sounds combined. You can play around with the strength, but I think at the minimum, it should be a mid volume, if not even higher than that.

@JonnyWonder made some good suggestion about trying out the various fitting rationales to see which one works best for you on speech clarity. The standard rationales like NAL-NL1 or NAL-NL2, and the DSLv5 as well, were developed with speech priority in mind. The VAC+ formula is the Oticon proprietary formula. Just use VAC+ in your general program, then the other 3 formulas in the remaining 3 programs, all 4 with Speech Rescue frequency lowering enabled, and just cycle through all 4 programs to see which one gives you the best speech clarity together with Speech Rescue.

If none of those things help, you can also go through the Fitting Assistant menu on Genie 2 with your audi (see example screenshot below) and hone in on what your issue is to see what Genie 2 recommends to you as a solution and apply it.

i use VAC+.
receiver 100.
and automatic neural.
general program is cool with option “focus”.
but i need more optimization for compreenshion people.

You haven’t answered if your HCP set up the Speech Rescue feature for you yet or not. This is one potential area that might help you improve speech clarity.

I think Yes. General program

If you already have Speech Rescue in the General program, do you know what configuration is used for it? And also what volume strength it’s set to?

OK, I guess the next thing you can try is add a program for DSL v5.0 Adult, and one for NAL-NL1 and one for NAL-NL2 (all of them with Speech Rescue enabled) then do real time A/B/C/D comparison to see which one gives you the best speech clarity.

Did you mention creating two programs, NAL-NL1 and NAL-NL2 with Speech Rescue activated? A/B/ in real time? I didn’t perceive. for speech rescue, the configuration i dont no.

I already suggested to my audiologist to create a program with these algorithms, but he mentioned that some sound quality is lost and the noise treatment changes. Won’t it affect speech understanding?

i disagree with your HCP that switching to the standard rationales will result in lost sound quality and change the noise treatment.

The only thing I’m aware of in Genie 2 if you don’t use the VAC+ rationale is that you don’t have the options to adjust the 2 parameters in the Sound Controls section as seen below → the Brightness Perception and the Soft Sound Perception. That’s because those parameters were design specifically for the VAC+ rationale only and they can’t be applied to the standard rationales.

If your HCP claims that the noise treatment would change in Genie 2 for the standard rationales, you should ask him how would they change really? I’m not aware that Genie 2 does anything different on the noise treatment front for the standard rationales.

In terms of losing the ability to specify the Brightness Perception which you can do with the VAC+ rationale, in general the standard rationales will sound brighter than VAC+ for the most part. So if you already tend to set the VAC+ program toward the brighter end, then it’s not much different than the other standard rationales.

The soft sound perception is a nice touch to have, but that’s only relative to input volume level that is on the low end that happens with soft sounds. It’s not going to be a big negative for the standard rationales if you don’t control of that.

Besides, even if what your HCP said is true (and I really doubt that they are), what’s the harm of using the other 3 programs for the 3 standard rationales to try out anyway? In the end, you’re the judge of it, and if they’re truly lacking or not up to par against VAC+ like your HCP seems to imply, then OK, now you know and you can just remove them after you’ve tried them.

I really think your HCP just gave you “cop-out” excuses so that he doesn’t have to get it all set up for you because it just means more extra work for him.

at momment use for test a new programe: NAL-NL5 (pediatric/child). the most rudimentary, the most basic NAL. the most rudimentary, the most basic. Use for low noise environments. I’ll test it for a week.

I wonder why you would want to test the pediatric version in the first place. I don’t even think that the Oticon aids even offer a pediatric NAL type rationale. The only pediatric rationale I see available in Genie 2 is DSL v5a Pediatric.

You don’t even have to test a single one at a time. Just load them up in all 4 programs and test them out at the same time. That would be better because you can get immediate A/B/C/D comparison between them.

1 Like

I can’t find a link for this one, can you forward me one, thanks

I need the general program to use on a daily basis with noise/noise. I can’t use 4 NAL programs. The adult NAL 1 and NAL 2 didn’t feel well, too low.

The use of any of the standard rationales doesn’t preclude you from applying noise reduction on them. The noise reduction application works for ANY fitting rationale, VAC+ or any or the standard ones.

But I’m not telling you to change anything in the General program that uses VAC+. You have 3 other programs, so you can easily fit the only other 3 appropriate adult fitting rationales on them → NAL-NL1, NAL-NL2 and DSL v5 Adult.

Now if you already tried NAL-NL1 and NAL-NL2 and don’t like either one of them, than that’s fine. You can now try the DSL v5 Adult and even the DSL v5 Pediatric next if you want.

Can you tell me by steps please to tell the audiologist? A general program with the automatisms you already have for noise control, and then 3 programs. Say by steps, I would appreciate it.

First you start out with just the 1 General program as seen in the screenshot below.

Then click the Copy button 3 times and you’ll see 3 more programs added that look the same as P1. Then for P2, pull down on the General VAC+ menu (click on the right arrow), then hover the mouse over the General line and you will see 5 different rationales appear on the right submenu. Then just select 1 of the other 4 for P2, then do the same for P3 and P4, and now you have 4 programs with 4 different fitting rationales but the exact same parameter settings (like Neural Noise Suppression for example) that were copied over from the P1 General program.

In the end, you’ll end up with something that looks like the screenshot below. Now you just have to start changing from P1 to P2 to P3 to P4 back to P1, and so on, to compare how the 4 programs sound differently on the fly.

1 Like

Thanks, Volusiano for posting how to add different target rationale to a program. I was attempting to do this in Genie but could not figure it out or find any information on how it is done!

CI not an option? I missed whether it was something you’d considered and rejected.