OPN1 User - Costco recomends Jabra over Philips based on my hearing test

PDF246.pdf (288.8 KB)

If this works, I just uploaded my test results. I wear 2017 model OPN1 HA’s. I have a hard time hearing in noisy environments. When I made my appointment he told me on the phone I would probably like the Philips units since I was used to the Oticon brand.

Went in for what I thought was a pretty intensive hearing test compared to what I’ve done in the past. Normal tone tests I’ve always done, then a bone hearing test, word repeat and tone in static noise tests, none of which I’ve done before.

I noticed the AUDI was wearing hearing aids and he said they’re Philips 9030’s. Based on his earlier comments and his choice of HA’s, I figured he would recommend the Philips brand. After my test and seeing how bad my right ear is, he actually recommended Jabra, saying Jabra is better with the severe hearing loss I have.

I walked around the store for about 10 min wearing a set, I THINK I can hear better. I heard a little girl talking to her mom and I didn’t think I’d normally be able to hear that with my OPN’s. So I’m going to give Jabra a try and see how things work. I asked about the 9050’s and he hasn’t heard when they will get them. Said if the Jabra’s aren’t as good as we hope, I can return them within the 180 day period.

Has anyone else heard that the Jabra outperform the Philips with someone that has severe hearing loss?

1 Like

Just in case you’re not familiar, the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s are the same thing as the ReSound Nexia 9s. They are an excellent hearing aid.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the Jabra so I can’t comment about it. But I know Oticon aids, and Philips aids are cousin (or sister?) aids to the Oticon brand under the William Demant umbrella. I can say that the Oticon aids should be able to handle your right hearing loss just fine, as long as you wear 100 dB or 105 dB receivers. You might be able to get by with 85 dB receivers as well, as long as you use frequency lowering to lower the high frequency sounds into the still audible region you have around 2 KHz. But it’s best to go with at least 100 dB receivers anyway. Even with 100 dB receivers, your right hearing loss can still benefit from frequency lowering anyway. And if you do it on your right aid, you’d probably want to do the same on the left aid as well for symmetry.

1 Like

I would chose the Jabra over the Phillips since your fitter can narrow the focus tighter then what the fitter can do with the Phillips.

By narrowing the focus, you won’t hear folks talking to side of you as much. That should be beneficial in noisy environments like a restaurant.

1 Like