OPN firmware upgrade issues

The data sheet says it is a DTE device. I think most usb to rs232 are also (male) DTE. If that is what your’s says (DTE) you would need a null modem connector and possibly a female-female gender changer. Although the null device should gender change and provide that.

It has been a good ten years since I played with this stuff.

This is the info I copied from the seller provided info re the current cable I bought. It would seem I’m covered with regards to needing null modem or gender changers? I know, it’s not that simple :wink:

The ICUSB232FTN FTDI USB to Null Modem Serial Adapter Cable (1-Port) converts an available USB 1.1 or 2.0 port into an RS232 Null Modem serial DB9 port, solving DCE/DTE conflicts directly, without requiring additional cross-wired serial cables or adapterThis compact adapter features COM retention, allowing the same COM port value to automatically be re-assigned to the port if the cable is disconnected and re-connected to the host computer, or if the system is rebooted. The integrated FTDI chipset supports additional customization, advanced features, and compatibility not necessarily offered by other solutions.The USB to Null Modem adapter is compatible with a broad list of operating systems including Windows®, Windows CE, Mac OS and Linux, making it easier to integrate into mixed environments.

Yes…as described in pvc’s link above 6 days ago. The iogear one is also null modem. The Belkin one doesn’t seem to mention it so maybe it would need the adapter.
It is rather unfortunate that your Startech one isn’t working fully for you as it was a complete and easy solution.

1 Like

A null modem will do no good. For some reason, they designed the HiPro as a DTE device - Data Terminating Equipment - which normally would be the computer. The adapter he just bought is already set up as DCE - Data Communications Device - which normally would be the modem. If he added a null modem to the mix now, he wouldn’t be able to connect to the HiPro at all.

I found a guide for connecting a HiPro to a PCI serial card which, normally should be DCE, but the cable diagram (which I show below) is not a null modem cable. It’s a straight through.

For some reason, I can’t get the link to work, so try doing a Google search for “serial hipro manual” (without the quotes), then select the link that says “Using A Serial Hi Pro And Windows 7 To Run Phonak … - help2hear.org

Of most interest in that file is this diagram:

This cable is not quite 100% for this application. One of the connectors would need to be male. The difficult part, for anyone not used to building cables, Is the loopback connections that are required. Pins 1, 4, and 6 are wired together, plus pins 7 & 8 need to be wired together.

That’s the help2hear pinout reference I mentioned. As I said though I don’t know how to test these converters.
Still and again…the iogear is what the HIPro technical document suggests. Whether relevant or not I’m not sure but it uses the Prolific chip.
I also found another Prolific adapter here.

Therein like the problem. Manufacturers that did a full and normal implementation made it a breeze. If you didn’t need a certain control line, just ignore it. Unfortunately, too many of them decided to change things around just enough to force you to buy their equipment or “special” serial cables.

Back to the thought of testing pinouts…alpine1: if you have a meter, set it to continuity test and then check all pins on the serial end to see if there’s a connection between any pins. Particularly start with those pins shown in the diagram to see if you get any continuity. For extra points check the HIPro too.

Stand down, until further notice…lol.
I have ordered the Iogear and adaptor mentioned in @z10user2 post.

OK, here are some solid answers for you.

I’m running a classic/serial HiPro using a null modem cable to a serial port on the motherboard. (yes, they still make computers with a serial port.)

Using Genie2 it will update the OPN just fine through the classic HiPro.

If Genie2 is left open and the popup box is used to start the firmware upgrade, the upgrade software will not find the HiPro. It will give an error message of, “Unable to connect to programming device. . .”

If Genie2 is not started (and not running on the computer) but the update program is started by using the Windows menu system to go into the Oticon section and starting the updater only, it will find the HiPro and identify the aids.

It will begin and successfully complete the update. It successfully moved mine from firmware 4 to 5 in about 15 minutes elapsed time per aid.

3 Likes

FANTASTIC​:+1::+1:. it’s updating as I write.
Seems pretty obvious that the first cable I tried (DTECH 10 ft USB to RS232 DB9 Female Serial Port Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset) was capable of performing the firmware upgrade. Right now I’m using the second cable (3rd cable option is suppose to arrive tomorrow) which is the Startech USB to RS322 null modem cable that @pvc found on eBay for me. Thanks a million @Coroplast for figuring out this issues.

2 Likes

We can conclude that the cable wasn’t the issue. Now the question is did others update by using the pop up box? If they did so what programmer do they use? Is this an issue only for the serial HiPro?

Volusiano states earlier in this thread he used the usb HiPro. Was it started from the pop up box?

When the MiniPro is used what does it identify itself as; serial HiPro or usb HiPro?

1 Like

I have both the mini Pro and the USB HiPro and they both are identified as just a HiPro, which makes sense because the mini is just a clone of the HiPro. They don’t show up as the USB version. It shows simply as HiPro.

I simply opened up the Genie 2 programming software and a box popped up asking if I wanted to do the firmware update or not and I simply went from there to get the update done.

When you say they are identified as simply HiPro are you referring to the selection in the drop down box in the program, the device manager, or the registery entries?

1 Like

Volusiano: pvc might quibble with using the “clone” term. I can’t say as I disagree. I would be more inclined to refer to it as reverse-engineered. But it IS different from a straight-up clone/copy.

For me and using Connexx, the minipro shows as HIPro in device manager and works when HIPro is selected in the software.

alpine1: Who knew you were doing it wrong!? :slight_smile: Great news from Coroplast. I hope you can return your excess stuff.

I was going to let it slide.

The timing was perfect. Today I refused the 2 pkgs that arrived yesterday at the post office. I’m in the conversion for a mere $12.00, money well spent to upgrade a device I bought 6yrs ago.

Again thank you everyone for all the effort put forth.

I’m glad it all worked out for you.

Good job @Coroplast for catching the software issue. I never would have thought of that, but it makes sense. Once a program lays claim to a COM port, no other program can use it until it’s been released. I don’t think regular USB has any such limitation.

2 Likes

There we go. Bob has the nugget of information we needed.

Sure. But then it had to be known that another program was being launched in that pop-up as opposed to actually running another program yourself. One would imagine that the same program is opening the pop-up. Apparently not.
Perhaps Genie could be more helpful by informing the user that “oh hey I can’t grab this serial port…please run the upgrader on its own” rather than a meaningless error claiming it can’t see anything when clearly it can as evidenced by being able to program the HA’s.

1 Like

That would require common sense, lacking by those…never mind :wink: