Open domes or custom molds?

I currently have open domes (Phonak Audeo) and I’m very happy with getting as much natural sound as possible. However, my hearing has taken a further dive and I suspect I’m reaching the limit of what the feedback control can do. It’s not a huge difference, but I’ve lost a few more dB at 1500 Hz and 2000 Hz (current audiogram in profile). Is it time to switch to custom molds?

I’d say some form of custom mould or slimtip is essential for your high frequency loss

2 Likes

The highest frequenices are completely gone (no respone at 8000 Hz and most likely no useful hearing at 6000 Hz), so it’s 1500-4000 Hz that need amplification and I think it was when 1500/2000 Hz needed more amplification that the feedback control started to struggle. Now those frequencies have dropped further.

You need all the help you can get to keep the feedback suppression at bay.

1 Like

Custom moulds kept coming loose so I tried domes. In order to control feedback I needed large double (power) domes which were not comfortable for all day use. Then I came across Oticon Grip Tips. They completely stop feedback and are very comfortable. I have the non-vented version so I have to deal with some occlusion.

1 Like

Interesting!
That will help me. I’m using 2 Large Power Domes, size 4.0 now.

I’ve had 3 sets of Phonaks. I am not impressed with the Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. They have announced that new receivers will be available so the cursed wax guards will no longer be needed.

I’m interested in learning more about the Oticon Grip Tips.

My dispensing audi had given me spare domes in a mis-labeled Phonak container. I had one come off in my ear on a Sunday. It was the old size and style and was too large for the receiver on my hearing aid.

1 Like

Oticon Grip Tips look a bit like Phonak Slim Tips but they are made of soft material. They come in two sizes and can be vented or non-vented. They fit perfectly onto Phonak receivers.

3 Likes

@Gilbert

Thanks. I’ll keep them in mind.

Neville and others have kindly suggested Phonak Slim tips. I had severe trouble and pain with my first hearing aid. It was a Widex in the ear HA. It hurt! I haven’t considered tips since. Reason…the original hearing aid squealed every time I chewed. So they remade it at the end of the warranty period. It cured the squeal. But it hurt so much I didn’t wear it much.

Do you have frequency lowering set to be very aggressive? It really helps. On Phonak it is called Sound Recover. It is not just a matter of activating it. You have to insist on it being aggressive. Mine is set to 1300hz. Audiologists dont like it. I think they are scared it will cause a tiny bit of less distinction between “s” and “sh”. Well guess what, it does, but you get used to it and will get more distinction later. In the meantime everthing else is better.

Check my audiogram.

2 Likes

I initially had a lot of trouble/pain with my power domes. Putting them in dry was very uncomfortable. I started putting a drop of ProEar (Amazon) on each dome when putting them in. The irritated ear canal cleared up and I am not noticing them now. They go in AND out much more comfortably.

Maybe this will help someone. Of course there are other options to ProEar.

2 Likes

I’ve also tried power domes. Hated it. Uncomfortable and occlusion in a terrible combination.

1 Like

I think some version of Slim tips is probably the way to go for me. I had something similar on one of my Oticon aids a while back, when feedback control wasn’t as good. In those I was able to have a large vent, which meant no occlusion.

1 Like

We tried aggressive frequency lowering when I got new hearing aids in 2021, but just wasn’t able to get it to work. The audiologist started it aggressive (I had been given advice on this site) and then dialed it back, but we could never get it to work. I’ve most likely never had any very high frequency hearing, so maybe that played into the problem. Definitely willing to give it another go when I get new hearing aids, but for now probably not.

Thanks for your suggestion…

I had Power Domes fitted by a fill in audi at the firm that I attended for 8 years. No explanation…I hated them. They probably were the wrong size. He also suggested I might need new hearing aids. That bothered me. I stopped wearing them in a couple of days.
I didn’t learn until later that sound was taking the easy way out. I learned by putting an index finger in each year, several years later. I had left that firm because I couldn’t hear behind me at all with the hearing aids that they provided. Their hearing aids were only 2 years old when I left.

The next audi worked a miracle getting me new hearing aids long before I was due with workman’s comp. However, he never set them up right.

To the point, I have no issue with Power Domes on my Paradise P90R’s. Some days a Medium feels much better in my left ear. A Large works well in my right ear.

These power domes are not the same size and I think are more flexible than the old ones. They seem more flimsy, and thinner.

The longer I fight this fight to make my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s work, the more frustrated I get.
setup
domes
wax guards
tinnitus

1 Like

It shouldnt matter that you dont hear it in its natural state. It moves the sound down to where you can hear it.

What about it didnt work, and what was it set to? Mine were at 2700 when just switched on, which doesnt help me at all. I asked for it to be moved “way down” and the audiologist was reluctant to move it further down than 2300, which also doesnt help. Finally got her to move it down to 2000 and she was noticeably uncomfortable with that. I finally went somewhere else and got it down where it actually works. Im at 1300 now. Im sure my first audiologist thought 2000 was super aggressive.

I have Phonak C-shell molds. The left one fits pretty well and doesnt slip out. The right one tends to slip a little when i eat. Sometimes it slips enought to squeal. Im going to do something about the right. But in the meantime i put two-sided skin/fabric tape on the foot of it, and it stays put all day. Both are super comfortable. Can’t feel them at all.

2 Likes

I cannot remember what it was set to, but the problem was that “s” from deeper voices sounded like “sh” whereas “s” from more high-pitched voices weren’t audible at all. It’s probably worth another try, but last time I eventually just gave up.

The audiologist may not set it to help your hearing loss unless you insist.

1 Like

I’ve got an audiologist appointment in a month and a half (with a new audiologist), so will bring it up then.