On my third set of Oticon Reals with the same explosive sound issue

Hello!

First I have very steep slope loss. Better than average (-11 to 19 db below 1khz), then 45 at 1.5 and then 75-90 above 2khz. Both ears have a similar slope with right ear worse than left. I have not uploaded my audiogram yet!

I love my oticon reals with open domes in general. My aud is amazing but even she is stumped. i have this odd, worse while streaming or live listening on things like teams, odd explosive scratchy sound across all frequencies in right ha only that is intermittent. It happens with mic on and even mic off when streaming. She listened to the ha with the stethoscope and even she heard it so I know I am not going crazy.

We replaced the aids and wire and this is still happening. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks so much!

It would be nice to have your audiogram to view. Personally with your hearing loss I would think you would have custom ear molds. If you view my audigram and see my hearing loss, I wear the Oticon More1 aids with full skeleton ear molds. I don’t have issues with feedback or too loud sounds, by the way my receivers are the 105 db receivers.

Hi! My earmolds took a while to come in and since I have gotten very used to domes. My low freq (good) hearing sounds so natural still which I like. I have extremely tiny and flat ear canals so the skeleton molds had to be shallow and provided worse outcome than the domes for me. I know on paper I should be in molds but my anatomy is tricky.

It would indeed be nice to be able to “see” your audiogram instead of trying to figure out what it kinda looks like based on what you describe. I can see your affinity to open domes, but I think the bass dome with a single or double vent would be a better compromise for you. You still can hear low frequency sounds through the vent(s), and occlusion is not full-blown for you, although you may have to get used to sounds when you chew foods.

Did you get brand new receivers with the replacement Reals as well? You said the “wire” is replaced, does that mean the complete receiver harness including the receiver and the wire? What size receiver are you being fitted with? At first glance, it sounds like you have a bad receiver on your right aid. But if you did get new receivers, then the next question is whether you’re being fitted with the right size receiver or not.

Did you HCP enable Speech Rescue for you?

Did you HCP try to adjust the Feedback Management value from NORMAL to LOW or even to OFF to see if it helps? I can understand that at first it may be easier to replace the aid and receiver in case it’s defective. But now that you’re on your third replacement and the same thing still happens, your HCP needs to start doing her due diligence and spend time to debug the issue further by trying to turn ON/OFF various features to isolate out the culprit because obviously it’s not the aid, but more likely the settings.

2 Likes