Octicon Real 2 sometimes sounds like someone is talking into a fan

Hello! I am new here, I happened to find this group by doing a search online for Octicon Real 2 hearing aids. I just received them on the December 14th, 2023. I’ve worn hearing aids since I was a toddler, so its nothing new to me. However I am curious something I am noticing about the hearing aid(s). I’m not sure if its both hearing aids or just the left hearing aid, but I feel like it sounds like someone or myself is talking into a fan. It doesn’t happen constantly but enough to be annoying. Just trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is normal or if its something to do with the hearing aids adjusting to the sounds? I’ve never had hearing aids this advanced before so I do not know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It’s a whistle (feedback) blocker. Check your earmoulds and redo feedback test.

You don’t post your audiogram on your avatar so we have no idea what kind of hearing loss you have (heavy or light) to see how prone your hearing loss is to feedback. It would be helpful to know.

Anyway, without that info, it’s hard to guess which kind of feedback control your HCP enabled for you on the Real (there are 2 kinds). It’s likely that the main feedback management feature is enabled for you at least (see the screenshot below). If you’re hearing fluttering from time to time, try to change the Feedback Management setting at the bottom of the screenshot below to LOW instead of NORMAL and see if it goes away or not.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I do not have access to those settings, never messed with anything like that.

I never thought to ask for my hearing test results, I will have to do that at my follow up appt.

You wouldn’t have access to this type of information yourself unless you are a DIY self programming person like me. This is just reference to take to your HCP to ask for adjustment to correct the problem for you.

A good HCP would have given you a printout of your audiogram automatically at a minimum without you having to ask for it in the first place. At the minimum to explain to you what type of hearing loss you have so you know why you would need hearing aids.

1 Like

Nope unfortunately I have not been given that type of information, or print out of anything. I will definitely be asking about it at my follow up appointment. Thank you! :slight_smile:

You are legally entitled to a copy of your hearing test results, so don’t be turned away with an answer like, “We don’t give that information out to patients…” The regs are usually at the state level. The state can fine a professional if they fail to provide the requested medical records within a specified time after a formal request is made. But I would try politely and firmly asking your HCP first.

1 Like