Occlusion Effect

Dear all, I have had this problem of occlusion for quite sometime [ More in Left Ear ], earlier i was using power domes but due to occlusion , Audi advised me go with SlimTip. Even after using SlimTip [with small vent], i feel the occlusion has never gone fully. I noticed that if it is complete silence, then there is no occlusion effect , the moment people started talking , left ear started to get occluded… During my last visit to Audi, they reduced the overall gain by 2steps & Global Tuning - Occlusion Compensation to MEDIUM.

After this change, i am finding less occlusion though it has not fully gone but at the sametime speech clarity is also reduced.

i am planning to visit them this weekend, Just wanted to know, if they increase the overall gain by 2 steps [ i.e. back to normal ] and global tuning - occlusion compensation to Strong… Will this help me to get rid of Occlusion Effect without loosing any speech clarity ?

kindly advice

I presume your provider has also checked the performance of the HA in the affected ear. Recently for me something about the mics or the amplification in my left Quattro failed. I didn’t realize what was going on but the HA could not “hear” anything above about 1700 Hz although the device responded well to lower frequencies. This failure in the HA left me with a sense of still being able to hear in the left ear but having much more of an occluded effect - since I am wearing custom molds with a small vent size.

i would appreciate inputs from Anyone who used this options to play around with occlusion effects. Thanks

I’m not really sure what you are talking about. My interpretation of occlusion is if I put my fingers in my ears and talk my voice is booming and covers up any other sound. Is that what you are talking about, or is it something you hear when you and your voice are completely quiet?

Thanks Jim… i have been working with Audi for long time without minimal results… Enquiring here if anyone have some good experience to share

Occluded in the sense, i feel my ears are blocked as if I have put some cotton ball inside the ear. it feels like some pressure inside the ear…

I have used that and it does help but with your good hearing in the low frequencies you are probably going to have occlusion unless you have a vent. You could do frequency compression to move the high frequencies lower so feedback would be easier to manage. Phonak has really good feedback control in the settings. Lowering gain would be my absolute last option.

I have a small vent in my molds and I have high gain levels and no feedback, and no occlusion. I also have very aggressive frequency compression, starting at 900 and 1100 (R/L). The Frequency Compression really helps audibility too, for profound losses and dead regions.

sorry i didnt understand the frequency compression , is it something to do with sound recover or do you mean reduce the gain in low frequency ?

Sound recover, moving higher frequencies lower so you hear them better, at frequencies where you need less gain.

Dear Don, Can you please bit elaborate, which function in target software will best help for below enhancement.

frequency compression to move the high frequencies lower so feedback would be easier to manage. Phonak has really good feedback control in the settings.

Can you please bit elaborate or if you can share few snapshots , i can take them with me. i have target software installed on my machine but i cannot do this change as i don’t have sufficient accessories at the moment, At least, for now, i can navigate this in Target and get this implemented during my Visit to Audiology.

This group is a great support for me and i have noted down all crucial points to be considered during my visit. Many Thanks

I think you can get slightly used to occlusion effects

Here are three screen shots, Feedback adjustment, Sound Recover, and my general gain settings.

Costco calls Sound Recover “Hi Frequency Protect”.

I have custom molds with select-a-vent. It has a large vent hole that you can put inserts into that have different vent calibers. I picked the second from the smallest and I have no occlusion and no feedback. You see my feedback setting on one screenshot. That is several clicks stronger than the default. I like to handle feedback that way instead of turning down the gain. I wear hearing aids for the gain. I don’t want it turned down. I would go with full, uncomfortable occlusion before I would turn them down. Thankfully that is not necessary with Phonak feedback processing.

Thank you Don… generally audiologist ask to confirm then and there itself whether the setting are working fine. and as many of us know, 95% of the time , one cannot make out any difference in those closed rooms and only feel it once it is in outside world

Do audioloigst have any audio files which when played, individual can make the difference out there?. Generally here they dont have any and just based on trial and error setting are tried