NYT looking to speak with age 60+ OTC hearing aid wearer

A New York Times columnist who writes about aging would like to talk to people over 60 who have purchased over the counter hearing aids in the past year. (Not through Costco — that’s a different model.) She would need 15 minutes on the phone, and she’d want to use your name, age and location. She needs to talk to you soon, over the weekend preferably, or by Tuesday morning. If you can help, contact Paula Span: paula@paulaspan.com

2 Likes

Hey, if you want to share a topic of REAL interest with her, ask her to write about the need for a “geek” squad to help folks get the most out of their aids! All the accessories, settings, programs, and need for BT connectivity in the Apple and Android world.

Well, if I was a journalist I’d sure want to beat the drum on that topic!

Hope she gets her OTC customers, tho. That is probably going to be a HOT market! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good point. Manufacturers still see their customers exclusively as partly demented elderly who get confused with any device that has more than two controls. There is an increasing cohort (both boomers and nextgen nerds) who grew up with modern electronics and software and who demand easy access and support for HA tuning (as this forum attests). Basis of an interesting article.

2 Likes

NAILED IT! Imagine all the decades aids were made in beige, flesh-colored plastic molds when most of the world isn’t even that COLOR. Why not have aids in wild colors. But I digress. Even better would be to accept that customers (let’s start calling us that instead of vulnerable “patients”!) are increasingly savvy. Many DIYers here manage to figure out the functions and features of their own aids better than the audi or dispenser who sold them.

This forum is a GOLD MINE of information, experience and helpful members who give us timely answers and are way more responsive than any HA Customer Support I’ve contacted. :smiley:

4 Likes

When you’ve been using wireless earbuds for years hearing aids are just another step along a continuum.

3 Likes