Nucleus 7: Swapping Bluetooth Connection Between iPad and iPhone

Sure thing, Hopefully they can figure something out. Thank you

1 Like

Yes I had these problems prior to iOS 14. I will send Cochlear an email to see what they have to say. Its odd that I dont have problems connecting to the iPad like I do with the phone.

Audio Handoff rarely if ever works as advertised.

Pair the aids to both devices and toggle Bluetooth on and off as required to force them to connect to the device in use.

Itā€™s the easiest solution.

PS: Youā€™re wasting your time emailing Cochlear. Their apps get an update once a decade, suggesting they have little if any in-house iOS developer expertise. To be fair, this has always felt more of an Apple than a Cochlear issue to me.

2 Likes

My Cochlear representative sent an email about the N7 Kanso2 Bluetooth pairing issues. Hopefully this work around will help you.

The work around is when you want to use your iPad, you turn the bluetooth off on your phone and turn it on for the iPad. When one is done using the iPad, you turn the bluetooth off on the iPad and on for the phone. . You donā€™t have to reboot the phone but you do have to close and reopen the Nucleus Smart app for the CI to reconnect with the phone. Hence, recipients have basically accepted that it is what it is. On the flip side if you are streaming from the iPad, you donā€™t need to stream to the phone at the same time. Or do you see yourself doing that?

2 Likes

Apple knows the whole handoff routine is broken- it didnā€™t work reliably before iOS 14, and still does not. I too have the issue with connecting to both an iPhone and iPad, and they Apple Support spent considerable time with me. Expect to spend a good while on hold, but donā€™t just call the standard support line. Please do call the Accessibility Team directly to report it at 1-877-204-3930, as I did. They will add your name to the outstanding issue report, and the more of us they hear from, the sooner they are likely to allocate resources to finally fix it.

I have this same issue i cannot seamlessly switch between my iphone and ipad. THough From what i understand this is not a cochlear or iphone issue, but a limitation with the Bluetooth SBC technology. The new LC3 bluetooth technology will allow you to connect to multiple bluetooth devices simultaneously without having to implement all the tricks and work arounds.

iOS 14.1 is available. Might fix a few issues we have been discussing.

Yes 14.1 has been out for a while, and 14.2 should release this week or next. I saw no improvement with the update and from my reading of what is coming in 14.2 not expecting any improvement in the next update either

1 Like

My mistake. I thought 14.0.1 was the latest.
Thanks

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m bad! Iā€™m still on 13.6, itā€™s working perfectly fine. I have plans to update to 14.1 Friday morning. As I have my final 12 month ENT appointment. If things go wrong like @debbie_o did I can get it fixed at the same time.

1 Like

Know this is delayed as I havenā€™t been on lately, but that was a perfect strategy @Deaf_piper. That way the audi can re-link in the software while you are there. I think you told me yesterday, things were going well on the iPhone upgrade. I still have to up grade to the .01 on the 14.0 version. I turned off the auto update after the last fiasco.

@debbie_o yes, everything upgraded very easily straight to 14.1 without any issues at all from 13.6.01. I was dreading the upgrade after all your problems. Hence why I left it so long until an Aud visit the next day.

Thatā€™s great! It ended up not being an iPhone issue as it was the link being broken between the ReSound and the N7 being linked together in the Cochlear software which was beyond my control. It could only be fixed by the audi. I might now be able to upgrade to 14.1.

I am just an iPhone newbie using an old iPhone 6S that I asked my wife to give me, updated to iOS 14, as an ā€œiPodā€ for an Apple Watch that Iā€™m getting to control my HAā€™s through the Smart 3D app on the watch linked to the same app on the iPhone 6S.

But Iā€™ve noticed that if you go to Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, that there are two settings options CONTROL NEARBY DEVICES and AUDIO HANDOFF. Someone who knows might help us all out by commenting on their functions and how these settings options affect iPhone, iPad, N7, etc., BT or MFi connections. But since I have no other iOS devices to control or handoff to, I turned both these options off (I think they are both ON by default in iOS 14). But if the settings of these options are inherited from some previous settings, yā€™all might want to check, if youā€™re running iOS 14.x, what these options are set to.

I have been switching my HAā€™s between the iPhone 6S and a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 connection/control just by turning off BT on the first active device and switching on BT on the new, second active device. Whatever settings Iā€™ve chosen on the first device usually transfer perfectly to the Smart 3D on the 2nd device. I did have a problem the other night where I had been connected to my Android phone and I planned to use the iPhone for controlling the TV streamer but for some reason when I made the BT switch the iPhone refused to recognize the TV Streamer 2 although it had worked great before. So to watch a Blu-ray disc, I had to go back to the Android phone but after the movie when I tested the TV Streamer 2 on the iPhone again, it worked perfectly once more?! So at least with ReSound, there seems to be a bit of flakiness at knowing Whoā€™s on First?! (famous old Abbott and Costello routine!).