Noise when hair brushes against hearing aids

I recently got my first pair of hearing aids. I’m curious if it’s normal to hear things brushing against the aids. I think it’s possibly the wires moving slightly when I move my head, or maybe it’s my hair brushing against the aids. I’m not sure. It’s not bad, and certainly not all the time, but I don’t have any previous experience to compare it against. TIA

1 Like

My Resound HAs do the same thing, especially my left HA due to it being set up with a higher gain. I twist it slightly towards my hear to get it away from my hair. At my next apt I want to ask my Audi if the wire can be permanently twisted to avoid this annoying sound

1 Like

Yes, I would say it is quite normal. I mute my aids when there are loud noises, like our coffee grinder. If I think I forgot to unmute them, my first check is to rub aids with my finger to see if they are on or off. Same when the battery is about to fail. That is my final check to see if they are dead or not.

2 Likes

I don’t have long enough hair but certainly if I touch my HAs I can hear my skin rubbing the surface so I imagine it’s normal. I woukd suggest like you’re looking into, making sure the wire is fully against your ear/head.

1 Like

Another reason I love my ITE hearing aids.

3 Likes

Yes quite! I tried ric aids and the microphone noise drives me mad, so I always stick to ITE.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the responses. It isn’t bad, just wanted to make sure it’s normal. Other than that, I feel as if I have bionic ears now. Ha!

4 Likes

Yes, it’s normal. My hair brushes against mine. You’ll probably find you adjust to the sound, out opt for a hairstyle that doesn’t brush against the microphone. Sometimes when I’m wearing certain clothing the sound of my hair running against it is annoying.

2 Likes

VERY normal especially for a first (or brand new) pair of hearing aids. In many cases this will fade from awareness as you adjust in the first days or weeks of using your new aids; it’s more of a brain-adjustment function to changed input than anything else. If it persists beyond that point, tell your audiologist and ask for some help with it, as a change in settings may well resolve or at least greatly reduce it.

2 Likes

I know this post was made a while ago but I finally found something that helped me a ton! Thought I’d leave this idea here for others who are having the same issue. My brain never adjusted to the hair sound and often times I’d get very overstimulated. I had my hairdresser shave the hair around my ears so there was a gap of hair between the hearing aid and my hair line when it is up. This has helped tremendously!

2 Likes