Noise like wind/rustling when in silence - Phonak P90s

I’m occasionally getting a strange wind/rustling noise in my P90s. I think it’s when it shifts programs, but I’m not sure. Any ideas what would cause it? (I have open domes, if that makes any difference.)

Have you checked to see if you still notice this when you change to a manual program, it doesn’t really sound like AutoSence, it’s one of the things I didn’t like about Phonak models, I could clearly notice the change, which in a lot of cases got wrong, but definitely not “rustling” as such, I wonder if it’s “floor noise” so more like a hissing, you have good enough low frequencies to possibly hear this.

Why don’t you make an appointment with your audiologist and see what he says.

Could it be that you’re pushing the limits of feedback control for your HA’s? Try bringing a cupped hand near an ear while wearing your HA’s. Does that increase the noise? Feedback usually sounds like a high-pitched whistling noise around 4 kHz (since that’s the frequency region usually most sensitive to feedback). Anything near your ears that reflects sound back towards your HA mics can accentuate feedback, e.g., tilting your head, so one ear is closer to your shoulder, being close to a wall or door, putting on a cap or a hood, etc. A more closed fit helps control feedback while still being able to deliver all the amplification you might need to overcome, AMAP, your hearing loss.

Does this happen when BT is connected? Mine has static noice sometimes when Bluetooth is connected to my phone, I check the App and it shows the Coscto KS10 switched to Bluetooth Streaming with Microphone mode when the noise happens. Disappears when switches back to auto.

It sounds like a incorrect setting for “attack and release”, I had a similar problem with new Lumity right HA. Things like you move your mouse, and afterwards there’s a faint hissing. My audi fixed it in about 10 secs.

1 Like

My M70 did this.

Pushing the limits of the feedback and power of the hearing aid was my issue.

When it happened, I actually thought I was hearing wind even tho I couldn’t feel any and I was inside anyway.

1 Like

This issue is the Bluetooth bandwidth. Change it in the App and it should sort the issue out.

1 Like

Do you know what your audiologist actually did to fix your issue?

Do you know how to change it in the app? It’s definitely a BT issue. It’s a constant air sound when it connects to, or between, BT devices. Super frustrating.

The BT setting on my aids is currently audiologist set, so I seem to have limited ability to adjust.

Searching the forum comes up the answer

Thanks @Zebras. I’d actually found it before and forgotten (it’s not particularly intuitive in its location). It seems to constantly default back to Normal sound quality, as I’ve tried adjusting this back in the first days I had the HAs.

Bluetooth bandwidth is nothing to do with sound quality.

I’ve never heard of it reverting back. Mine has never change since changing it.

That’s strange. The text on the Phonak app says “Please note that enhanced sound quality (adaptive bandwidth) may not be supported by all smartphones”.

@Sinead

Yes you’re correct.

It was just the way you said ‘normal sound quality’ as none of the bandwidths are called normal so thought you were talking about something else.