NOAHlink device vs cloud, HA firmware confirmation, Compass/Proprietary vs NAL

Hello all, happy to be here (DIY)!

I just read the history of NOAHlink on Himsa. Now that they have a cloud version, do they still support the wireless device?

I looked on Amazon but reviews of the physical wireless device made me wonder if they were counterfeit. But that could be user confusion, too. SO just so I understand: This does NOT ship with software, I must pair it with my “provider’s” app?

However, is there in fact a generic program or app that works with aids (in my case Widex Moment Sheer 440)? I have read in some threads that there is another way to program these HA’s using NAL/NAL2. Is NAL possibly open source for hearing aid users to program their own gear or does it pair with the proprietary app? I ask because a fellow poster’s audie said that her customers were happier with NAL programming vs Compass GPS for WIdex Moments. If NAL is a user available, open source program, could I not acquire NAL software to either pair with my manufacturer’s fitting software or even, possibly, as stand alone?

Finally, and I probably should ask this as a separate question, but before I go thru the fitting appt this week, should I find out if the dispenser updated my firmware? Better yet, will my phone (I am charging the aids right now preparatory to pairing) tell me what firmware version I am running on my Sheers?

Many thanks for any and all info.

I’m not going to speak to cloud, first I’ve heard of it in this regard, but I’m doubtful.

NAL NL2 is a fitting or prescription procedure. Most HA mfrs have their own software to fit their HAs, and provide their own fitting process. But that software can usually be configured to use NAL NL2. There are a handful of other fitting formulas out there, and there are real differences. A frequent complaint by new hearing aid wearers is how sharp noises sound. I felt this, too, but my audiologist had warned me and begged me to push through for a couple weeks if I could, and I’d adjust to it far better then cutting the volume back. It worked in only a couple days for the most part. But some HAs have a process to start at a lower volume and slowly raise it so you aren’t uncomfortable. They don’t want you returning the aids because they make you feel uncomfortable.

All the modern SW for HA fitting bluetooth aids use the Noahlink wireless. A few HAs which aren’t wireless use direct attach cables. It doesn’t need the software for the Noahlink. The drivers automatically load in windows. Your HA fitting software should be able to access it.

Someone here often offers to direct send the fitting software when folks ask for help getting started. I hope that’s the case for you in this case.

WH

1 Like

Yeah I’d say it’s “confusion” I definitely haven’t seen anything on here or anywhere else that say they are “counterfeit” don’t worry you’ll be good to go with one you do decide to buy.
The Noahlink wireless is plug and play, although it does ship with a mini disc for the driver’s, but it’s not necessary, so no software is required, you do not pair it with the App, however you pair to your HAs through the hearing aid software, in your case compass.
As for fitting formula being used the default will be the manufacturer proprietary for a first fit, and yes you can change this at any time to NAL/NAL2 or any other, I’d stick with default to begin with.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the firmware, you can update this yourself anytime in compass.

2 Likes

Looking around, it seems like the noah in the cloud is a backup for the providers that use the noah software on their machines. It allows switching among their clients and backing up to the cloud would be a good thing. But I didn’t get the impression it did fitting from the cloud.

Remote fitting changes go to your HAs via your phone typically. I established a video appointment with my provider, and she then asked me to be sure my aids were on and my phone was connected to them. Then she was able to connect and change some programs for me. It worked pretty well, but you have to have connected to the aids from the software locally once.

WH

2 Likes

This is pretty important for sure.

2 Likes

I think OP is confusing noahlink hardware with Noah System 4 hearing aid software.

2 Likes

I am only interested in the NOAHlink wireless AND what open source or off the shelf or whatever software I can use to tune my Widex HA. Trying to figure out if it is all proprietary or if there is some app that I can use in place of the Compass software as an end user, not as a professional.

Unfortunately only the manufacturer’s software is able to provide programming to the HAs,the Apps are extremely limited as you’ve found out, nothing else is available, which I think this a good thing, of course DIY is not for everyone but overall a good result can be had with satisfaction that you’ve saved a lot of hard earned dollars ; )

For self programming Widex Moment Sheer you need:

• obviously the Widex Moment Sheer hearing aids
  • *Windows PC or Windows notebook
  • Noahlink Wireless programming adapter → connect via USB to PC/Notebook
  • Widex Compass GPS → this is the professional programming software from Widex, install and run this software on the Windows PC

The wireless programming interface is called Noahlink Wireless it is a hardware device.
Do not get confused with NOAH System 4 ← This is a professional Database System (software) for HCP/audi-studios for handling a large client database for handling all clients. Only this database system have an option for cloud storage.

Note:
If you start the Widex Compass GPS programming software on PC you will get this screen

Just klick the button Log in !
Do not change the current given Initals/Password settings !!!

Inside the programming software you you can just Simulate the programming of hearing aids, for simulation mode you not to connect to hearing aids. With simulation you get a feeling for the handling and better know what options are availlable.

Inside the Widex Compass GPS programming software you can change the fitting formula / fitting rationale between: WFR (Widex Fitting Rationale) , NAL-NL2, DSL

3 Likes

It does not have to be a Windows PC. I use Linux OS on my PC, and a virtual emulation software running windows 11 to do the programing, and it works very well … it has also been said that SOME Mac pc can be used with a virtual software.

I use the Phonak Target programing software and a NoakLink wireless connected to my PC via USB .

Why would you not want to use Compass ???

Is there a simulation mode for the Jabra/ReSound programing software as well?

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Yes definitely, this is how we can show screenshots of certain adjustments, all the manufacturers offer this in their software.

1 Like

Then can I please get a copy of said software?

Sure, this is a good idea as it allows you to see what’s possible and how to go about it.

1 Like

Well, I do have some concerns about using proprietary software that I did not personally pay for. If there is some sort of open source method that works, I would prefer that, but doesn’t seem to be the case. However, it is not like I didn’t try to find a dispenser; however, the closest one is roughly 9 hours round trip. I tried to get help from Widex to locate one, but they make it virtually impossible to contact them, and even when I did find an email address and wrote to them, I got an auto reply and that was the end of that. No help. SO given that they make it so hard to even purchase their product, much less support it, I feel little remorse…

I should have a NOAHlink within a week, so am looking forward to this.

It’s the Noahlink Wireless programming device, you don’t want NOAHlink, that’s a different device, seems to be a bit of confusion on this.

Hey, I am sorry if I am using the wrong nomenclature, and I do understand those things matter, but yes, it is the wireless programming device.

1 Like