NHS wrong fitting

Hi

I was diagnosed with mild high frequency hearing loss in 2020 after a number of years of being told I wasn’t hearing things correctly or missing things. I had a NHS audiology test in October 2020 and then we went into a lockdown with no face to face appointments and so my hearing aids were sent out by post with someone elses. (which I had to post back). I found them very uncomfortable as they made me sound boomy etc so i stopped wearing them after a month.

Roll forward to this year and I was making mistakes at work mishearing things so I found my hearing aids and started wearing them again a couple of months ago. I still felt uncomfortable with the fit but the hospital were convinced that they had been fitted properly. I went for a second opinion last week at a private audiology hospital department and was told the domes were wrong for my type of hearing loss as they are closed and i should have open. Is this correct?

Thanks

Domes depend on your hearing loss and also you as an individual.

We can’t say without seeing your audiogram.

Be aware that private audiologists will often say things to try and make a sale.

It’s very common for hearing aids to be needing adjustments. First fit is often not ‘perfect’.

Can’t say anymore as we don’t know your audiogram.

2 Likes

I see your audiogram now.

Your hearing loss is extremely mild so yes, open domes are more appropriate.

NHS audiologists are often not able to do their jobs well.

My Step Mum wears open domes but when she asked for more tubes and domes to be sent out, they kept sending power domes. No matter how much she argued saying, no I wear open domes. They were like, that’s what we have on your system that you wear so we can only send out power domes.

1 Like

Hi

Yes I know which is what has happened to me. I can source my own open domes but the aids have to be retuned to use them so I am hoping they can sort that out when I go in next week.

Jon

Noting more I can say then.