New user looking for support and hearing aide opinions

Deep down, I knew I needed hearing aides. Today it was confirmed and it has unexpectedly hit me hard.

In the grand scheme of health problems for someone in their mid 50s, this is pretty minor…so I don’t really understand why I’m so upset. Has anyone else here had a similar reaction?

Had a thorough hearing test at Costco. Hearing loss likely due to louder music most of my life. I sold audio equipment for many years and enjoy car audio, home audio, rock concerts, collectible boomboxes and Walkmans. (listening to a 1980 Panasonic Walkman as I write this).
I digress.

Need advice on hearing aides. Just started looking at OTC vs “real” hearing aids. Did the OTC aids work for you or did you ditch them for real hearing aids?

Can anyone tell me their personal experience of OTC vs. “real” hearing aides?

Costco sells Rexton, Jabra, Philips. I started researching these.

Has anyone tried the Costco Jabra’s and the Rexton’s back to back? Opinions?

My hearing loss on some of the tests was minor to moderate. Other tests revealed moderate loss, just toe dipping into severe at times. I have trouble hearing treble and high pitched voices. My right ear is slightly worse than my left.

Thanks to all in advance.

1 Like

A few Qs:

Have you a copy of your audiogram you can post?

Are you an Android or iPhone user?

What are the settings in which you encounter difficuties?

1 Like

Here’s the audiogram.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I don’t quite understand the last question.

Costco audiologist recommended the Philips Hearlink. By my research they were the lowest of the 3 hearing aids they carry. (Jabra, Rexton, Philips).

3 Likes

I get the last question now. I am a teacher and I really have trouble hearing my kids in the classroom.
I have to cup my hand around my stronger ear (left) and ask them to speak up. Even then it’s hard to hear them sometimes.

Also if a person has their back turned to me and they are speaking, I can only hear mumbling.

I can hear lower tones pretty well, but the higher tones like women’s and kids voices are more difficult.

2 Likes

@Sconner
This hearing loss develops like a soft killing process. Of course you are upset.
No way back and now you got the confirmation of bad hearing.

It’s like feeling you didn’t brush your teeth enough and you would have done that if you had known before…

But it happens to every human so don’t panic. And although it isn’t reversable their are pretty good solutions at the moment 2024.

Wish you good advices over here how to hear again. Welcome
Emile

4 Likes

You might consider Apple’s recent move to market their ipods Pro2 as HAs. They are not expensive (compared to HAs!), so some buy two, with one pair always sitting in a charger.

If you like your smooth Bluetooth connections I really recommend a Phonak- they are HAs that also mix almost everything from electronic devices around you into what you hear. These (like all serious HAs) are expensive, especially if you also buy the hardware (Noah wireless) to program them yourself on a PC (which I recommend). The Sphere model is top-of-the-line, with a generous higher-capacity lithium battery that will last you through any day, plus a dedicated AI-driven noise reduction chip, would you often be in situations where you need this. Many here also seem to like the Oticon intent.

Almost everyone suffers hearing loss with age- in fact, the natural decay starts in childhood… similarly, almost everyone beyond puberty needs glasses. No reason to feel bad about that- it is just a sensory organ, and your ears are not at all that bad still. Far more relevant that the organ between your ears stays irrigated and healthy…

3 Likes

As you have an iPhone, and looking at your audiogram, you may just squeak into improved hearing territory using Apple Airpod Pro2 once the new Hearing Aid software is rolled out. However, as a teacher, you’re going to need a longer battery life than a single daily charge will provide. Maybe it would be worth trying a pair on a sale / return basis (Amazon et al) and see if you get a benefit. If they did work well for you, you’d be able to spring for a second pair to extend the daily charge, and the total cost woud still be in the low to medium hundreds, rather than the 000’s otherwise involved.

If they didnt work out, then a trial of a few different devices may be called for.

2 Likes

I taught myself back in the day. My kids were the best in the world, with only a typical level of ‘badness’ in them. However, that ‘badness’ was such that they would find great sport in exploiting any weakness in the teacher’s abilities. Speaking in a low voice to a teacher with a bit of hearing loss would just be a rite of passage for some of these paragons of adolescent tomfoolery.

3 Likes

To give you some perspective, 20 DB loss is considered “normal hearing.” At an additional 15 to 30 DB you are equivalent to a normal person wearing foam ear plugs. Although prescription hearing aids are very expensive, they will do a better job for wearing full time and have more features for improving speech understanding. The question about the phone is because some hearing aids only work with Apple devices and others will work with android.

1 Like

I’d take their advice and go with the Phillips. You might be able to squeak by with OTC aids but with the Phillips from Costco you’d actually get some product support. At least try them out. You’ve got 180 days to make up your mind. Since you’re a teacher you might check with your administration and see if they offer any support. By “support” I’m talking about additional classroom equipment that might assist you in better communication with your students.
Yes, mind does funny things. Hearing loss didn’t bother me but I remember feeling “devastated” when I had my first cavity in my early twenties. It’s normal and we get over it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the audiogram.

I see you still have 100% word understanding at 70 DB. That is a good thing that you do not want to lose. Your decision to get hearing aids at this time is a very good. It will help to maintain that 100% word understanding.

I personally think hearing aids are the right thing for you. Your hearing will probably get worse as you age and the aids should maintain that great word understanding.

Costco is a great place to start. They have excellent hearing aids and typically very good hearing aid fitters that use best practices to fit them.

You have come to a great place to learn about your hearing loss and hearing aids.

3 Likes

Thanks Emile!

As a youth it never occurred to me to take care of my hearing. In the end, this could be a lot worse. I’m thankful for the overall prognosis.

2 Likes

Thanks RobHooft!

I’m just starting my research. I’m leaning a little more towards real hearing aids but I will definitely do my homework on the AirPods.

The Costco units are $1,500+ and I would rather spend a lot less. Ultimately I need to choose the right tool for the job. I’m hoping the AirPods can be real contenders.

1 Like

Thanks Homer!

Research on the AirPods are in progress!

2 Likes

I am a special needs school teacher. My students are living with autism and other exceptionalities.

It’s refreshing because my kids have no hidden agendas and no tomfoolery at all. I get it straight and true right between the eyes whether I want it or not :slight_smile: I think the world would be a better place if everyone was like that.

4 Likes

Thanks MBD!

Whichever ones I choose I will make sure there’s a trail period.

Still not sure if it’s going to be OTC or real hearing aids. I agree that real hearing aids with come with a lot more support and likely better sound quality. I don’t want to go the cheapest route just to save money. If the real hearing aids end up being the right tool for the job, I’ll do it for sure!

1 Like

Your words and advice echo what the audiologist at Costco said. Hearing aids will help preserve my word recognition.

I’m going to start diving into the forum posts to further educate myself. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thread here has good info:

1 Like

I second what Rob Hooft has said. I have been using Apple Airpod Pro 2s for a few weeks and they are excellent and they are a fraction of the cost of “real” hearing aids at £229. They were only £179 in the Amazon Prime day sale a few days ago.

I too have mild to moderate hearing loss in the mid and high frequencies. May dad had poor hearing in his late 40s early 50s and blamed it on shooting. I can say the same but I also DJ’d and went to a lot of very noisy nightclubs.

So far, for me, the only limitation I have found is the six hour battery life so I will buy a second pair in the coming weeks.

Apple received FDA approval to sell them as OTC hearing aids a couple of weeks ago but they are far more versatile than most of the competition and much, much cheaper.

1 Like

I agree w many of the posts above, “give Costco a try”.
I’ve worn hearing aids for over 20 years and have nothing but good things to say about living with them (well, considering that they are necessary!). We are so lucky in our age to have these marvelous helpers available, and, thanks to Costco, fairly affordable. You’ve done the right thing to discover this Forum, too. I’d say, go with Costco’s recommend; I pretty much agree with “MBD” above.

3 Likes