New user help

Hello I am in the trial period on a set of signia pure charge and go 7IX’s. I know there is an acclimation period but after 4 days I am pretty much done with them. Everything sounds sharp, there is static noise all the time like a radio not tuned in and conversations are very crackly. Is this a tuning issue, something I will get used to, or is this just life with hearing aids?

The trial period is only 30 days which will likely give me enough time for only one maybe two adjustments. If I am not reasonably sure this can be fixed then I’m giving them back. Its a lot of money to spend on something I cant stand wearing.

1 Like

Agreed 30 days is likely not enough time to get sorted out. Everything sounding sharp you’d likely adjust to but some of the other stuff might take awhile to sort out. Entering your audiogram would help. (Top of page, click on FORUM, click on My Hearing Tests) would help us.
Where are you located? Is Costco an option?`

1 Like

I live in Az and Costco is right down the road. I’m leaning toward returning the signias and going to see them. At least with them I’ll have 6 months to work out some bugs before I’m committed.

4 Likes

You’ve got a notable loss. If these are your first hearing aids they’ll definitely take awhile to get used to. There are a lot of sounds you haven’t been used to hearing. Do you happen to know what your word recognition scores were?

2 Likes

L 80% @75 db R 88% @ 70db. These are my first, its not the new sounds that are bothering me, its the constant static, robotic sounding voices and just the fact that in general it now sounds like I’m hearing the world through a blown out speaker.

2 Likes

Robotic sounding voices are likely due to hearing high frequencies that you haven’t been hearing for awhile. Not sure what the static is about. I have some ideas but they don’t seem likely. Might have just been a faulty hearing aid. Your word recognition scores are pretty decent.

3 Likes

The Costco route is a great way to start and learn more about your hearing loss and hearing aids.

This forum can also be very helpful, lots of knowledge and experience here and a few very helpful pros.

I agree with it might take a while to acclimate to hearing aids. That hearing loss did not happen overnight so it will take your brain a while to relearn some of those long gone sounds. The aids will sound strange for a while. Slowly things will start sounding very normal. Getting into the hearing aid lifestyle is another thing to learn about. The routines needed for this new way of life.

Good luck, you have come to a great place.

4 Likes

The hearing aids aren’t adjusted correctly.

According to the Starkey troubleshooting guide. Your HCP should try:

Decrease Moderate Gain at 1000Hz and/or 1500Hz
• Decrease Loud Gain
• Decrease Overall Output

Are these aids the same as the Rexton aids at Costco now?

right, this is what I am trying to fix right now, at home using their fitting software and kind off succeeded, still tweaking :slight_smile:

I believe they are the same as Rexton

1 Like

They are indeed exactly the same.

2 Likes

The OP said that he/she is trialing the Signia 7IX. I believe that the Rexton BiCore hearing aid available at Costco is identical to the Signia 7AX, which is the previous generation. I assume that Rexton will be releasing a new BiCore to match the 7IX in the near future.

1 Like

I did a similar thing, waited way too long to get hearing aids. I heard all kinds of artifacts, for months. One day i was listening to music and realized the high piano notes were clear!

Doing the Costco 6 month return period is a good idea.

2 Likes

If your app has an equalizer adjustment try reducing the high frequency and maybe the mids. Not a perfect solution but it will help in giving feedback to your provider