New paradigms in hearing technology?

One of the reasons that hearing aids tend to dissapoint in comparison to “regular” bluetooth earbuds or headphones is because of the underlying sound reproduction technologies.

The reciever that produces sound in RIC hearing aids is, I think, generally a “balanced armature”. This is essentially a little vibrating reed matched with a small, stiff diaphram rather than a larger cone dynamic diaphragm “speaker” that you might expect.

This video from a leading manufacturer of balanced armatures presents a reasonably good overview:

Most consumer headphones use a larger dynamic driver, but higher-end earbuds may combine multiple balanced armatures tuned for different frequency bands or even balanced aramtures plus a dynamic driver for the best of both worlds. This is somewhat analagous to the way a home stereo speaker system could include bookshelf speakers with a tweeter (for higher-frequency sounds) and a woofer (for mid- and lower-frequencies), plus a sub-woofer (for the low-end).

A balanced armature is great because it’s so small that it can be nestled deep inside the ear to provide maximum amplification, and can be easily tuned for reproduction of the frequency band for human speech. On the other hand, lower-frequency sounds won’t sound as good from a single balanced armature reciever.

A logical solution would be to incorporate multiple balanced aramtures into the reciever, or to adopt a hybrid balanced aramture-dynamic driver solution into a hearing aid. The drawbacks are obvious: larger size and a significant increase in power consumption. A hybrid reciever would not fit deep into the ear canal, but would need to rest in the same place as a typical earbud.

It’s possible that some of the OTC hearing aids coming onto the market will address this since they are not all attempting to be as small as prescription hearing aids (that is, many of them look like “true wireless earbuds” and seem to settle for less than all-day battery life). In theory, I don’t think there’s anything stopping other hearing aids from taking this route except for the assumption that hearing aid users would prefer not to spend big bucks for a larger device with shorter batter life when they could simply purchase a more affordable set of headphones as an adjunct to their “real” hearing aids… but it’s possible that advances in battery technology or changing attitudes regarding wearable technology will affect product development in this market.

If I’ve misunderstood anything or explained anything incorrectly here I’d welcome corrections. The above is what I’ve come to understand in my own research on this topic.

Thanks. I’m aware of the drawbacks, exactly as you posit here. I think I suggested that size, incovenience, looks are unimportant to me.

I am heartened that you are thinking some new designs might appear on the market. I would hope they would have the power necessary for my hearing loss.

Thanks for your response. I’ve posted my hearing loss. As you can see, it’s remarkably flat. I can put on amplified headphones, increase the volume, and use a decent recording microphone to get a good sound. I’d like to be able to get that kind of sound all the time, not just while using an external amp, and mic. I don’t care about the increased inconvenience or size.

Get BTEs not RICs. Get a remote mic.

Thanks for posting up your audiogram. Wow, OK, I can see where you’re coming from now. And that’s why the need to post your audiogram, because it says a lot about how your loss is like.

I can see why an amplifier and a pair of headphones and a mic can serve you better than your hearing aids now, because you just need mostly flat but very powerful amplification, where the tiny little hearing aids just can’t compete against a pair of big and well amplified headphones.

But that’s for sitting around watching TV. I assume that you hearing aids is some kind of Utra Power BTE type of aid? I just don’t see any headphone-like product on the market bigger than a BTE HA with a mic built-in that can give you more power.

When I mentioned the Airpods Pro 2, its audiogram accommodation is limited to using it with the iPhone only when streaming audio from the iPhone. Its transparency mode (to hear the ambient environmental sounds) does not have audiogram accommodation, so it can’t really serve as a hearing aid in the sense of hearing things around you either.

I hope that in the long run, non-Apple earbud mfgs like Samsung or Bose or Sennheiser, etc. will put audiogram accommodation into their products to compete with Apple, and not limit their audiogram accommodation to anything (like how Apple is limiting it to the iPhone only). Then we will have true OTC external larger-size amplification devices that can compete with hearing aids.

2 Likes

Exactly.
The OP’s relatively flat hearing loss makes such a difference with sound equipment.
Thanks

Soundcore (Anker’s headphone brand) has released some earbuds with a hearing test feature, which they call “HearID”:

HearID works with Android as well as iPhone.

Soundcore’s Liberty 4 and Liberty 3 Pro earbuds include this feature:

I have no experience with these specific earbuds, although I understand they are well-reviewed. I have two pairs of noise-cancelling headphones from Soundcore rather than earbuds, but am considering the earbuds specifically because of this feature.

1 Like

This is wrong How to Turn AirPods Pro 2 Into (Pretty Good) Hearing Aids — Soundly

@SOL → What is wrong? That I said the transparency mode doesn’t support audiogram accommodation?

Show me where exactly in that article you cited to me that says “the Transparency mode supports audiogram accommodation”. It said just about everything under the sun regarding the AirPods Pro 2, but it never said the above. Even if it does, I don’t believe it.

Do you actually wear the AirPods Pro 2 and actually hear audiogram accommodation in the Transparency mode for yourself? I don’t hear it (the audiogram accommodation in Transparency mode) for myself personally and I actually wear the AirPods Pro 2 extensively everyday for the last 3 months. I ONLY hear audiogram accommodation when I stream from the iPhone. By the way, the Transparency mode is not the same as streaming from the iPhone.

Have you actually gotten confirmation directly from Apple Technical Support (instead of just from that article link you quoted to me) that audiogram accommodation is supported in the Transparency mode? Well, I HAVE spoken with Apple Technical Support personally (Tier 2 technical support actually, because Tier 1 couldn’t answer this question), and THEY confirmed with me directly on the phone that audiogram accommodation is NOT supported in the Transparency mode.

So my conclusion is that if I don’t hear it myself, and if Apple Tier 2 Technical Support confirmed that it’s not supported, then I will say that it’s not supported. Quoting some lame article to show that I’m wrong is not going to faze me into agreeing with you.

3 Likes

@Volusiano: Bingo, MrVBingo!

2 Likes

“…Nice work! Your AirPods Pro 2 are now customizing sound (both transparency and streaming) to match your specific hearing loss shape….”

This video is a good resource also AirPods Pro vs Premium Hearing Aids: Amplification Capabilities - YouTube

I works for transparency mode, I have the AirPods Pro and I’m using it every day.

Edit. Now you can import your own Audiogram from a file, picture or manually.

1 Like

Yep. They definitely work. Not enough amplification but better than nothing.

1 Like

Thank you for showing me exactly where that article said that the audiogram accommodation is for both transparency and streaming. I do admit that I missed that part, so you did show me up as I asked for it.

Also thank you for that YouTube video link where they did the REM of both the APP2 and the P90. That is very informative.

So here’s my position on this. First off, I take that statement from the article with a grain of salt because the author of that article is not an official Apple Tier 2 Technical Support person. He can only “assume” that the audiogram accommodation is applied to the Transparency mode, but his word is not golden. At least not compared to the Apple Tier 2 Tech Support person who told me the opposite (no audiogram accommodation for Transparency, only for streaming). So I’m still dismissing the quote from the article as having no value to me. I’m not being stubborn here. I just choose to believe the Apple Tier 2 Tech Support person more because 1) they work for Apple, so they should know what they’re talking about, and 2) what they told me is consistent with what I’m not hearing in the Transparency mode → I don’t hear the audiogram accommodation in Transparency, not in the same obvious way that I hear it when streaming.

Now let’s move on to the YouTube video. This is worth discussing more than the article, because it’s data driven and the data is shown live for everyone to see. Without making it too long,

1. At 7:40 into the video, the audi said that “The real takeaway here is that the APP2 does amplify”.

My comment: I don’t disagree with this. I never said that the APP2 doesn’t amplify. I can hear the amplification in the APP2 during Transparency mode just fine. What I said is that the APP2s don’t amplify anywhere enough in the mids and highs to compensate/accommodate enough based on my audiogram input like with streaming.

So the question here is “why in streaming mode from the iPhone, the APP2 seems to amplify enough for me, but in Transparency mode, it doesn’t amplify enough to sound as good as in the streaming mode?” Certainly it can if it wants to (because it does it in streaming), but it won’t amplify as well in Transparency. My only conclusion is that because it doesn’t do audiogram accommodation in Transparency.

The REM result kind of supports this. The P90 amplification is up to par with what the patient needs, but the APP2 amplification is barely above what the patient needs. Although the amplification trend seems to track the hearing loss outline of the patient somewhat, there are just too many factors to know for sure whether this is actually based on the audiogram of the patient, or more or less a coincidence because perhaps this is the de-facto amplification for the Transparency mode, or perhaps this is how the APP2 chooses to respond to the kind of REM stimulus that was applied. We’ll never know. The audi in the video at 7:45 said that “there’s a lot of variables that we don’t have control over”.

The experiment in this video did not do a REM test in the streaming mode. It looks like they only did the REM in the Transparency mode generated by speakers over the air. I wish they had done it in the streaming mode to see what the audiogram accommodation in streaming looks like compared to that in the Transparency mode. If it’s like anything I experience, there would be more amplification in streaming, because that’s where the audiogram accommodation actually takes place.

2. At 7:50 into the video, you can hear the Hearing Tracker guy said "Um, if that was the change in the future, maybe like if we were able to be able to create a custom audiogram for the AirPods, maybe it’ll get better."

My comment: while there is acknowledgement that the APP2 does amplify in Transparency, there is a consensus that the amplification is not up to par with what the audiogram requires (as seen on the graph, not to the level that the Phonak P90 amplifies). So that’s why there’s a mention of “creating a custom audiogram for the AirPods” in the future to make it better. That right there is acknowledgement that the audiogram accommodation is not anywhere near sufficient (or I even contend that it doesn’t even make use of the audiogram in the Transparency mode), except for people with only mild hearing loss, to be able to use the APP2 as a hearing device effectively.

3. At 8:56 into the video, the audio concludes that the APP2 is only suitable for "mild, maybe mild loss, maybe moderate, but probably not enough amplification… More so I say with a mild loss"

My comment: This pretty much sums it up right here. The conclusion from the audi is that while there is amplification by the APP2 in the Transparency mode, it’s only enough for folks with a mild loss. So my conclusion is that the APP2 CANNOT really be used by most folks on this forum because most of us have moderate if not severe and even profound loss. Many, if not most, folks with mild hearing loss usually don’t even bother with getting fitting with hearing aids. So the APP2 may be suitable for those folks, but definitely not for the mainstream folks on this forum who need to wear hearing aids because the APP2 is not a suitable replacement as a hearing device for them.

Last but not least, with the kind of hearing loss the OP (original poster) of this thread has, the APP2 is definitely not a suitable hearing device replacement for him, which is what I said in the first place before we got engaged in this debate. So the debate whether the APP2 Transparency does amplify or not is irrelevant because even if it does amplify like the YouTube video shows, it does not amplify anywhere “enough” for folks with worse than a mild loss.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree. I still use my APP2 everyday and I do turn on the Transparency mode because not enough amplification is still better than nothing. But I would never wear it outside of the house with the intention for it to replace my OPN 1.

1 Like

Good points,

Did you happen to import your own Audiogram via your iPhone? I didn’t know this was an option until recently.

And yes for some people it won’t be enough amplification.

I first tried to import my audiogram through the actual print out of my official audiogram (audi-generated from a booth test). But the iPhone was not anywhere smart enough to parse it intelligently and accurately, so it ended up giving me the option to manually enter in the rest of my audiogram point-by-point and save it. Yeah, so I didn’t have to import it from any external third party app like Mimi or iHeartIt.

1 Like

You might take a look at some of the BeHear products, they may fit your needs, and they are much less costly than HAs. I have the BeHear Now product (only available as refurbs, they came out at least 5 years ago), they were great for streaming, not as good as my new HAs for social situations.

Below is another YouTube video by Dr. Cliff Olson doing REM analysis on the AirPods Pro about a year ago, before the AirPods Pro 2 was available. But the Transparency mode between the Pro 1 and Pro 2 are not much different anyway.

Some noticeable point-outs:

1. At 8:40 into the video, Dr. Cliff said he set the APP amplifcation (for Transparency mod) at Max, and it was still not enough to accommodate to his assistant Brie’s mild to moderate hearing loss. At default volume instead of max Transparency volume, few minutes earlier before the 8:40 time mark, the REM result was below Brie’s resonance unamplified hearing, even, because of the occlusion effect from the APP bud tip covering up the ear, disabling the natural resonance of the ear canal.

2. At 11:34 into the video, Dr. Cliff said he spent a SIGNIFICANT amount of time trying to match the APP amplification to the target curve, at the performance level of the hearing aids that his assistant Brie’s hearing loss (which is mild to moderate loss) is at, and to his surprise he was able to match it close enough. He didn’t really say exactly what he had to do to match it, but he showed and squared in red the “Customize Transparency Mode” window, as if it were where he made it happen. There are only 3 parameters to fiddle with there, so I’m not sure if that’s really where he spent his significant time there, or else where.

The key takeaway I got from this video is that the APP Transparency mode does not amplify to par with the target curve while the hearing aids amplify to par with the target curve. Dr. Cliff said he had to spend a significant time messing with the APP settings to get it to par with the target curve, although he didn’t exactly say how (big mystery there). But the point is that he showed that the APP has the amplification power to meet the target curve if it wants to, but by itself, even with the audiogram in place, it doesn’t get you there in the Transparency mode. This implies to me that there is no audiogram accommodation in the Transparency mode.

Would any of this work with the wired EarPods that came with some iPhones?

There is a list here Customize headphone audio levels on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1 Like