New Oticon Platform 2024? Intent/Encanta

I think an in jest comment related to somebody’s previous post.

4 Likes

For those who also keep up with the equipment, genie 2024.1 will bring ACT to fine tune

the instrument. This has been confirmed in the ACT whitepaper, it seems this could lead to

better first fit. Now a affinity compact with ACT license runs for $9,000 so I dont see a widespread

use. I wonder, maybe slim profile like the Stiletto?

Not sure thats true, there are many examples of Apple adopting standards early, the most obvious one was their adoption of USB (They forced the use of it on early iMacs). MFi works quite well, for low latency and low power connections to my iPhone and my laptop. I am trying to understand what LE Audio will offer as an improvement to MFi. At this time there is no infrastructure for Auracast broadcasting (And I have little interest/need in that.) Perhaps the LE audio codec maybe much better than what MFi is using.

I am also not sure how Apple will adopt LE Audio, is it not possible they will just migrate the MFi platform to adopt the LE standard?

MFi is proprietary to Apple, and has to be licensed. LE Audio is an open standard available to all devices. The point about the USB is funny, since Apple had to be forced to stop using their proprietary lightning connector and to use [again open and interoperable] usb-c standard, recently.
Auracast [which is a part of LE Audio] is a hope for free, cheap and omnipresent streaming capabilities from anything and anywhere [it’s not only about venue infrastructure and replacing t-coil].

5 Likes

Actually Creative has shipped two earbuds using first generation xmems and BT LE.

3 Likes

Well, if they managed to put it in two earbuds that are actually on the market, then I expect my next hearing devices to have it too. Luckily I’m not currently looking for buying a new pair, so I can wait.

1 Like

I see that these are hybrid with an xmems driver and a 10mm driver. Wonder what caused them to compromise and put the dynamic driver in.

Creative Aurvana ACE “Learn more”

WH

It says on the exploded view; midrange and bass.

The bandwidth and diaphragm size of the MEMS unit don’t appear to be suited to lower frequency reproduction.

1 Like

xmems’ web site suggests they go down to 20Hz, but I don’t see any indications of spl at that freq.

https://xmems.com/technology/

WH

Yes, they can, but not with the same unit that does the HF - And I think the current draw and voltage become more of a problem on the bigger LF units.

At the core, ‘ALL’ drivers shake at their preferred resonances. The more you push them away from that point, the more it costs you. It’s been true of hi-fi speakers for years, just because you machine the bits out of silicone doesn’t mean you can ignore the basic physics.

Here’s a good explanation of the double drive application of MEMs units in spec arms: How MEMS speakers can improve the audio module of smart eyewear and audio glasses - USound

2 Likes

I expected them to address this by using arrays of emitters.

WH

Their implementation to use mems as tweeter helped to recover frequencies upward from 7kHz. This would be perfect for high frequency loses

First generation doesn’t have good low end response. Second generation supposedly better.

True, but xMems recently announced a new solid state driver that seems to overcome that.

https://xmems.com/news/xmems-new-silicon-speaker/

1 Like

Ah, someone I can’t see anymore. Took me a minute.

2 Likes

As I can see at Oticon web site, that “reinvented wheel” maybe is ACT (Audible Contrast Threshold) only. If so it will be boring.

Great: except for the fact that the peak is above the requirements for most speech: there’s five or six octaves of more important information in lower pitches and ‘most’ ears won’t accommodate two drivers, AND we’ve not got a spare 3.7v in the system.

As an iPhone user I find Apple’s standard hearing app better than the latest Oticon app.

3 Likes

It is already announced New Premium instrument , tomorrow details will probably emerge…

just as I predicted… Lets see if Im right with sound guide

“”"“During February, we will begin the roll-out of new, premium, industry-leading hearing aids in our main brands, including our new flagship product, Oticon Intent, all of which will support growth in 2024.”""

1 Like

Did they take the name from a design firm that worked with Oticon before: Oticon Intiga | INTENT ?

1 Like