New Oticon More 1 hearing aids

Right on point V.
Matter of fact unlike the OPN or OPN S when you Mute the Mores you get a descending broooop tone, and the opposite when unmuting. Very convenient.
Of course, you also get the standard Shut Down jingle when doing the long press.

1 Like

I really didn’t like this when I was trialing the More 1. If this is also present in the Oticon Real, I’ll see if this can be turned off in Genie 2…

It certainly is:

1 Like

Great. Thanks so much! I’ll make sure that is turned off :grinning:

1 Like

@ToriNi

The screen shot is from More 1 and not Real.

Although likely there, it may not be there on the Real.

:slight_smile:

I think it probably will as they are pretty much like for like, except for a couple of new features and the Polaris R platform. Otherwise I’ll just learn to live with it…

1 Like

I got More1 HAs last week after years with the OPN1s. Better speech recognition is what I’ve noticed so far. Music over Bluetooth to my aids is not nearly as good sounding. Same with the sound from the TV adapter. Phone is a little quieter too, but not a problem. Is there something that can be done to improve the Bluetooth? I wouldn’t mind if it had to be a separate setting that I would switch to.

As I recall, when I went from OPN1 to More1 I had the same problem.
The Audiologist needs to make adjusts in the Genie software under accessories to each individually ( iPhone - TV Adapter ).
The TV Adapter defaults to Program 1, but the iPhone and iPad you can listen/ stream in whatever programs you have (speech in noise, etc).
In Genie, there are other adjustments in addition to volume, that can be made to customize the sound, even making left and right different.

I’ve been wearing these HAs for a couple of months now. On three occasions I have experienced a loud warning beep, in total about 8 or 9 beeps in a row, followed by a gap of about three seconds, followed by another set of 8 or 9 beeps. Can anyone explain what this warning is about?
Thanks

Interesting that you mention that, as it happened during my demo, low battery warning? Although the HAs at that time had 35% power left I took them off and put them in the charger for 30 mins. No more wsrning beeps. I think it was a glitch.

I’m not an Oticon expert (or really an expert in anything…) but I seem to recall this as a warning that the mics on that aid need servicing when this was discussed about some opn or opn s HAs. Hope this helps.

Found it:
strange-chimes-on-oticon-opn-8-x-4

WH

1 Like

On page 92 of my “Instructions for Use” book for my More 1 aids, the Warning for “Microphone service check needed” is given as 8 beeps repeated 4 times. Apparently the LED also shows a sequence of 4 long orange flashes.

1 Like

Usually the mic service check 4 sequences of beeps like that is due to the aids being exposed to excessive moisture/humidity. It happened to me on the original OPNs when I wore them to play tennis in very humid conditions and sweat like crazy. Those warnings may go away temporarily for a few days or weeks, but usually they don’t go away for good. It’s best to send your aids in for warranty repair or replacement if you’re still under warranty.

After I got the replacement, I avoid exposing the aids to such conditions and I no longer have the issue anymore. So don’t believe for a minute that their IP68 rating makes them impervious to moisture/humidity.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. It happened in very hot humid conditions while I was playing lawn bowls. Sweaty, lots of perspiration, wearing a broad-brimmed hat etc.
I could take them off, but then I’d have trouble hearing what the other bowlers are saying. Catch-22 . . .
I assume the effect is only temporary?

If they’re still under warranty, I would just wear the aids when playing and if they need service/replacement, then you can just send them in for warranty, assuming that you have a viable backup pair to tide you over. But if no longer under warranty, then maybe switch to your backup pair when you play, because the effect may be temporary, but can also be permanent/recurring.

When it happened to me, I got the warning chimes and they went away for a few days, but eventually they came back again, and the warning frequency became more often. It got to a point where it was annoying enough that I had to send it in for repair/replacement under warranty.

If you continue to ignore the warning chimes and keep wearing them, it may get to a point where the mics would actually fail for good. The warning chimes are meant to tell you that the mics are on the verge of going bad, even if they are still functional at the moment. Moisture has invaded into the mics and their performance is eventually most likely going to deteriorate.

2 Likes

did you ever try the sleeves, Westone sells or used to sell some sleeves which could be
use to protect the hearing aids when used in excessive humid climates

Sorry, I never tried any sleeve solution simply because it’s not a big deal if I don’t wear the aids while I play tennis or exercise. So I just opted not to wear the aids anymore in situations where I sweat to avoid the issue. But if it’s important to be able to use the aids while sweating, I would investigate the sleeve option if I were you. That would make sense.

1 Like

As I recall it, it was a very very ugly solution. My collegues said it really works/

Are these rechargeable? Would rechargeable aids experience the same issue considering that they do not have a battery door through which moisture can enter?

The warning chimes for this issue is specifically about issues with the microphones. Since the microphones are outside of the shell, I think it’s irrelevant whether moisture can or cannot get inside the shell on rechargeable or non-rechargeable aid styles in the first place. With either style, the outside mics are susceptible to moisture just the same anyway.

1 Like