New OLED TVs

I was in the local vidieo store to buy a new remote for my TV today and of course the salesman wanted to show me a new TV I checked out the SONY and LG OLED model’s the pictures were great but what struck me most was the sound of both was very impressive.

The new screens are very thin and he said that they both have four speakers and they face foward to face the front instead of the wall behind the tv. The sound is coming directly through the screen towards the viewer.

He said both TVs have a built in sound bar so no need to buy a sound bar. I have to say both the picture and sound were really good. I think the LG may have sounded a little better but not for sure. If your in the market for a new tv might check these two out.

1 Like

I have the LG-OLED and the picture is great. The sound may be OK if your hearing is also OK. But, my hearing is not so good. I use the streamer and also a good stereo system. For me, and I expect many here, the built in speakers are useless .

1 Like

That’s the first I have heard of a TV having a built in sound bar.
Thanks for sharing.
We recently bought a Zvox sound bar to improve speech. It has made a world of difference.

The LG OLED model I have does not have a sound bar built in, that I am aware of. The salesman may have overstated the quality of the speakers (how strange!) but in fairness, the built in speakers do produce much better quality speech that other flat screen TVs I have listened to.
If you have KS9.0 HAs from Costco you can connect them to your TV via Bluetooth. Virtually no discernible latency. This is probably true for the Phonak Audeo Marvel devices from which the KS9.0s are derived.

Thanks,
Santa Claus brought my wife a LG 65” TV and a TV Connector for the bedroom this year. It works really nice with her KS9 aids. She’s been really good this year.

I’m curious about picture quality. Is it really that much better than even a HD LCD screen? Having dealt with 20-25 inch CRTs most of my life, my current 40 inch LCD seems pretty amazing. I still remember snowy pictures and color palettes that gave people green complexions.

If you have 4K source material, the picture is amazing. No digital blocking, pure blacks, sports are crystal clear.
Other tech such as QLED is also pretty impressive but OLED leads the pack when the source material is ultra HD.
I was always a bit put off by Samsung’s efforts to impress by intensifying the color palette to gain a sort of artificial vibrancy or “pop”. With OLED the “pop” comes from razor sharp image and shades.

1 Like

I have a Sony 65" LCD HD that I am very happy with but yes the picture quality was noticably better.

think your ipad OLED display quality.

And they also cost 3 to 4 times more. If that is a factor, don’t even look at them!

1 Like

I’m with you. I’ve got a Samsung LED screen that’s maybe 2-year old technology. To me it’s jaw-dropping. An OLED enthusiast will point out that the pupil in the eye of dog in the corner of the image isn’t exactly the right shade of black. I find the images on the OLED screens in the stores beautiful but overdone. Maybe they’re set up that way to attract the punters. Back on-topic, I’ve never found the in-built sound of any tv to be adequate for my hearing loss.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I’m not an image connoisseur. I know there are differences and HDR for the right scenes can be pretty dramatic, but heck, I’m watching TV shows for entertainment, not to critique an image. Even my relatively small screen TV with old hat tech provides image that are much cleaner than what I’d see if I were there in person. I’m still stunned by the Rose Parade and football games. For me, there is definitely such a thing as good enough and TV picture quality has already exceeded it.

1 Like

I agree with you TV pictures are pretty great today and I don’t think we always need the lastest and greatest. I do hope sound improves by the time I am ready to buy my next one.

I forgot to mention the two TVs he showed me were both 65" and on sale for $2500 or $1000. off until the end of this week. I am happy with what I have.

OLED TVs only illuminate the pixels needed to display the image, so if something is truly black it’s not lit at all, as opposed to LED TVs who’s panels are backlit.

As someone who is hearing challenged, I’d be more concerned with the sound options. I’m also a home automation geek so I need to know things like "Can I use the optical output and internal speakers at the same time without disabling HDMI-CEC (the ability for a connected HDMI device to control the TV) and other sound and home automation related specs.