New here. Questions about the right hearing aids

Hi,
I just found the forum a couple days and was looking for some advice on a new set of hearing aids.
I have worn them for about 6 or 7 years. My one and only set is from Costco, Phonaks I think. And they aren’t really helping as much as I would like. Saying what way to often. And just missing a lot of stuff around me. My family sugested I go to a “real hearing aid place”
So I went to a different place that is just Audiology and they recomended Starkey Genesis which is more than I really wanted to spend or afford. So I have the Evolv on order.
One question I was hoping to see If anyone that has used both and if the difference was worth the cost. Basically double.
I really didn’t ask many questions and I probably should have, but I’m not even sure what to ask.
I’m planning on going back monday and see of its possible to try each for a week and see if one is much better than the other.
They did say California has a 45 day return if they just aren’t meeting my needs.
Anyway, any advice on what to ask or opinions on the Genisis vs Evolv line would be great.
Thanks in advance

Costco has a limited selection, however they are top of the line aids. Unless it is something that Costco cannot handle, I have a hard time spending 2-3x as much for the same hearing aid.

5 Likes

Your current aids are 6 or 7 years old. I think you will find the difference between them and Costco’s latest offerings will be night and day. I have used some other national providers here in UK, and found Costco to be as good if not better.

7 Likes

When was the last time you went back to Costco for a hearing test and readjustment? It’s possible the aids just need readjustment to your current loss. If money is at all an issue, try Costco again. Posting your audiogram (Click on “Forum” at top of page and then “My Hearing Tests” I’m assuming you don’t qualify for VA. If you do, going there would be my recommendation. Unless you were really wowed by the Starkey guy, I’d cancel the order. The further along you get in with him, the more obligated you’re going to feel to keep the aids even if they don’d do what you want.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’ll ty and post autiogram later.
Basically the new audiologist is hopefully more convenient and because family thinks they will do a better job
I have a 83 year old dad that had a stroke and needs a lot of help and mom doesn’t get around well either. So I’m pretty busy
Lol

1 Like

I went back for a readjustment about a year ago, maybe 18 months.
The test the new guy gave me seemed more complete. He just brought up the Starkeys and didn’t mention any other brands.
I’m not very proactive, if that is the right word, so I didn’t ask many questions. Like trying out a few before I decide. Kind of froze up. Plus I’m not really sure what to ask. Like go with the factory settings or do you do the fitting. I forgot the three letter name I was reading on here last night.
This guy is closer and hopefully easier if I need tweeks or filters changed/ maintenance.
I’ll go back and see if I can try a couple out first.
But any pointers are appreciated and thanks again for the replies :slight_smile:

got the audiogram up. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Have you tried Costco with 180 days return policy. Check it out.

5 Likes

Took a look at your audiogram. Are you using earmolds or domes?
If money is a concern I to recommended Costco. They have top of the line aids and use best fit procedures. That’s as good or better than many hearing clinics.
I also think going back to Costco and getting your existing aids properly fit just might be a big surprise for you. You need earmolds if you don’t have them.
Good luck and keep reading this forum. Lots of great information that can save you a bunch of headaches and money.

6 Likes

My opinion is - go with what you can afford. All of these aids pretty much give the same result. I had and still have Resound One, Phonak Marvel and Paradise 90 with Roger technology, Starkey Livio and Evolv. Also had Signia Stylleto Connect 7 and Widex 440 back few years ago. I don’t know about others, but for me, all these aids give pretty much the same result.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the “three letter name” is REM (Real Ear Measurement)
You have a pretty significant loss. Learning your Word Recognition Scores would give you an idea
of how much hearing aids can be expected to help.

2 Likes

Under Speach audiometry it says 72 right, 68 left, db Hl85. With WRS1 mask as the header.
I think that’s the word recognition score becasuse he said I was at 70 percent if I remember right. Said he was kind of surprised I did that well. The voice that said “say the word - xxxx” sounded like it had a pillow over the mic. LOL

2 Likes

Thanks. So remember that even with properly adjusted hearing aids you’re going to be missing about 30% of the words. You’re going to need to rely on multiple methods to understand people. Speaking face to face in fairly quiet situations will help a lot. Noisy situations are going to be tough. A good remote microphone can help. It is possible your Word Recognition might be better with a little more volume, but I’m no expert.

2 Likes

If his aids have not been set up right for his hearing loss for some time it can be detrimental to his word understanding. If he does get his aids properly set up he just might get some of that word understanding back. I know I did. With his audiogram it’s very possible.

I have another appointment with the new audiologist tomorrow.
I need to make a list so i don’t forget my questions.
70% seemed low to me, but my hearing is really situation dependent. In a car i can turn the radio up and hear pretty much every word of a talk show. Music is different. Oldies i can mostly get. Any new stuff , forget about it . People that talk fast are really hard to understand. And of course more background noise/more conversations going on, is really hard. Also some voices are harder than others even if its quiet.

1 Like

Sorry, typing on a phone is not all that great. Lots of spelling errors
Found the edit button, LOL

1 Like

Going in with a list of the topics you want to discuss is a great idea. A good audiologist should also ask about your lifestyle, to help them understand your needs. Good luck!

1 Like

The skill of the audiologist who is treating you is more important than the brand of aid your purchase. While your current aids are likely out of warranty I’d be curious to know what benefit new aids are going to give you over your currrent aids? Some/most providers are going to want to charge an “adoption fee” if they did not sell you the aids in order to treat you. Not a fan of this business model but I get it. Audiologist have to make enough to stay in business and cover the cost of treating someone who purchased aids elsewhere. My point is finding that provider who you trust to be the expert that your not is worth the effort. I’ve had too many friends over the years who were sold hearing aids but did not have success with them which in my opinion had a lot to do with the providers they may have chosen. I’m still rocking my original Phonak Marvel’s I purchased over 5 years ago. My hearing has changed over that time and I just got fitted with custom molds which allowed my audiologist to better fit my aids to my current hearing loss. Like any other product or service your purchase I’d advise spending the time to educate yourself on what you should be getting for service (someone committed to best practices ect) and then find the person who can best provide that for you at a price point that you can afford.

2 Likes

Thank you again for the replies.
I ended up getting/ordering the Genisis 1600 with this new audiologist. Ĥe gets 5 star reviews on yelp.
It’s alot more than i wanted to spend, but hopefully they will be much better than what I have. Been reading about the app and it can set programs for different situations. Edge mode is what I’m most hopeful about.
The costco here seems really busy compared to what it was when i first got aids. The want an appointment for everything now. I used to just walk in and get them cleaned/filter changed, minor stuff.
I mentioned my parents before and that takes most of my time. If this guy is good and i can get little maintenance things done more easily. And if he does a good setup and fitting. I guess the money is worth it.
I just need to do something with my hearing. My current aids are better than not using them, but its to the point I’m missing to much.
Hopefully the tec is much better now, cause my ears aren’t. Lol
I just have to build my savings account back up. And thats harder now with the economy.
I’ll post more when i get the new aids.
Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

I have been wearing aids for 20 years, a good audiologist that listens to you is the most important thing you can have.
You really need ear molds with your hear loss, and you need annual hearing test.

1 Like