New charger for Oticon More

The Oticon OPN rechargeable version is ZPower-based system so for sure it’s not going to be compatible with the new Smart Charger. The OPN S R is based on the new Lithium-Ion system like the More, using the same charger, so it should be compatible, I hope.

1 Like

I see the Oticon Smart Charger for More HAs now appears in the Oticon USA site. Any idea of where to buy this online and potential cost?

Thanks

From what know so far it takes a firmware update to the aids, and I have heard at first only available with the purchase of new aids

1 Like

If drying is important to you, I think there is enough space at the bottom of the charger to insert a packet of Silica gel that is normally used for drying?
Something like this on the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=silica+gel+hearing+aid&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=silica+gel&_osacat=0

1 Like

Does anyone know what effect chargers have on frequency of repair? And if different chargers have different effects?

I would have thought that rechargeable hearing aids would need service less frequently because they should be sealed from moisture better. But in a recent video I watched, Dr Cliff said that they see referrals for service being about 1/3 greater for rechargeable hearing aids than for traditional ones with replaceable batteries. Maybe that’s because the same design that makes it harder for moisture to get in, also makes it harder to get the moisture out. Once it gets in, it stays in? When I put my hearing aids in their drying box overnight, I open the doors, which really allows the insides to dry out thoroughly.

It’s hard to say with definitive conclusion why rechargeable systems have a 33% increased in repair/service rate without more detailed data. I’m sure the HA mfgs have their repair data, but unfortunately, they don’t share it with the public.

It may not be moisture related. It may be that the extra service is due to the batteries not delivering enough juice to last all day as advertised after some time compared to day 1.

It may also be that the latest versions of HAs that mfgs put on a rechargeable system simply have more mfg issues, unless there’s a disposable battery version of the same HA model to compare against, instead of comparing this year’s newer rechargeable models against last year’s older disposable battery models, because after all, they are different models.

Rechargeable systems make it simpler to user IF they work as advertised, but it becomes a pain to use IF they don’t work as advertised, and sometimes even make you dead in the water if the charger goes bad and you don’t have a backup charger.

Usually users are happy with rechargeable systems until they encounter an issue that is battery and/or charger related, then they may have second though and wish they had chosen the disposable battery version of that same model (if available) instead to keep things simpler for them. If you have bad disposable batteries, you simply throw them away. If you have bad rechargeable batteries, you have to go through the warranty claim/replacement process to replace the rechargeable batteries.

I would say that there’s not enough reliability data yet to base your decision on choosing between a rechargeable version or the disposable battery version mainly on reliability. It’s probably better right now to base that decision on whether you can live with the trade-offs between one system over the other.

Thanks, V. I trialed the More 1 and liked the rechargeable set up. I also like the fact that when the More charger battery dies, the audiologist can replace it in her office. My sister’s ReSound charger has to be sent back to the manufacturer before it can be restored. Fortunately she has a pair of older hearing aids that she can use as backups. But if you don’t have such a backup, it’s one more service delay that you have to go without your hearing aids. And this time it’s both of them that are unavailable, not just one that’s out for service.

I’m leaning toward sticking with replaceable batteries. I’ll see how I feel when the time comes to make that decision.

I have the OPNS1 rechargeable and now the More1 rechargeable aids any I can’t see going back to disposable batteries. The convenience of the rechargeable aids out ways the throw back for my needs

1 Like

Do you mean the hearing aids or the charger? If I understand correctly, Oticon rechargeable batteries can be replaced in the office.

Yes Oticon rechargeable batteries can be changed by the Audiologist or the hearing aid technician

Yes, Oticon charger can be serviced in the office.

This is true, @Volusiano. I’ve just encountered my first battery issue with my More1s, and I’m having serious second thoughts about which system I’ll choose when the time comes for my next set.

I’m busy ATM, but I’ll try to tell my story before the weekend.

Would you believe that OpnS batteries won’t work with Mores? I didn’t, either! But that’s not nearly the whole story.

There are some caveats:

1. The batteries must be the model specific to More. OpnS batteries won’t work .
  2. The hearing aids must be connected to Genie2 and the battery level “meters” reset to the new zero. (The % charge remaining is a percentage of (X - y) hours, where X = the capacity when new, and y is the number of hours that X has diminished due to aging.) If the aids aren’t rezeroed when the batteries are changed, the % charge shown by the ON app will be inaccurate.

I’m sure @Volusiano could explain it much better than I’ve done, if he had a mind to.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for posting this - very informative. I have the new Smart Charger on order - no telling when I will get it, as I’m told it is only available for new More orders for the time being. I want a back up charger. I really like the cover also.

3 Likes

Would you mind sharing how much they want for it? Thanks.

Not sure. The answer was “I think around the same price as the regular charger.”
In my case, regular charger was listed at $300 bundled and discounted $300.

1 Like

Chuck, lemme know if your audi tells you this story:
“Oticon requires us to send the HA’s to them in order to replace the batteries. We cannot replace them in clinic.
Oticon must test, and replace the batteries at the Oticon facility”
That’s per my audi in Long Beach.

Thanks @SpudGunner, that’s probably why the VA doesn’t do it.

That is not what I was told by my.Audiologist and the clinic hearing aid technician. The technician has been trained to take care of most hearing aid issues. The lab at the clinic is.full of equipment for testing and drying hearing aids. The last time I was there they were setting up the 3d impression equipment.

I don’t doubt this at all.