New charger for Oticon More

5 Likes

@Kem103 Looks like you were right.

Oticon Opn and More with remote charging and disposable battery

Now, THAT is a charger!!!.

Where can I get one? How much?

I want one. For traveling, Still not on the Oticon USA website.

@Zebras it was @Lostdeaf who was correct, not @Kem103!!!

1 Like

@SpudGunner but it was @Kem103 who started the other thread about remote charging.

@Zebras: Yes, and it was rife with inaccuracies. Go back and check it out. @Lostdeaf was the only member to provide accurate information.

1 Like

With the current battery-less charger going for around near $300 on eBay, I wonder how much this new charger is going to be? I wouldn’t be surprised if they want at least $300 retail for it, if not more, since this has a built-in battery as well.

I don’t see the value for it as an on-the-go wireless charger because while I’m awake, the HAs will be on my ears most of the time anyway and they last me all day so when would I have a need for it while I’m awake?

But having said that, there’s value in having it as a second spare charger in case the primary one breaks down so you’re not dead-in-the-water. So instead of forking out $300 to buy another same-old bulky battery-less charger for a spare, this one will do much more nicely and gives you some versatility in charging options as well.

My wife and I do some camping, even with the camp trailer being with most of the normal connections, the trailer is small with very few outlets and power limitations. I also always have my backup aids with me too, and with my backup aids now being rechargeable I can see where the new charger would really be nice. But like you the cost is important, if it comes available I will see if I can get one from the VA, but that would be after November first at the earliest seeing the VA contract schedule for renewal.

2 Likes

The equivalent ReSound One charger is $199. You’d think Oticon would take that into consideration when pricing this new charger for the US market.

2 Likes

This week (and for the first time in going on 6 months) I forgot to turn my charger on at bedtime. (Remember that since I live where power interruptions are commonplace, my power source is a LI-po battery that gives me a week of charges for my aids before it needs charging, itself.) My More1s were flat dead by morning.

It would have been handy to give them 20-30 minutes in the regular charger to get me past breakfast, then throw them into the new wireless charger for the trip to town. So - yes - there’s a potential use for them, but is it worth ~$200-$300 for a device I’ll only use a few times a year? I don’t think so.

MY $0.02/YMMV

2 Likes

Lithium-ion batteries don’t like to stay fully charged at 100% all the times when sitting idle and unused. For optimal longevity, mfgs recommend storing unused Li-ion batteries at 40-50% charge when unused for long periods.

At any rate, the point I’m getting at is that I can see this battery-based charger being kept at full charged all the times but seldomly used, causing battery capacity degradation to set in earlier than expected. So if anyone plans to buy it, either make use of it often enough, or if just keeping it as a use-only-once-in-a-while spare, then keep it charged up to only to halfway for longevity (at the expense of not being at full capacity all the times).

1 Like

If it is anything like the charger and the OPNS and the More aids it has a smart system that handles the issue you are talking about. My OPNS1 aids are now my backup aids, I charge them then power them down. Even powered down the aids very slowly discharges the batteries. Oticon manual says they need to be recharged about every 3 months if not in use. Well I really don’t trust that and I wear them one day every couple of weeks. While being idle for 13 days they will discharge to the point that they last me about 12 hours of use at my normal streaming. If I recharge them first they are back the way they were when I charged them every night and wore them all day everyday.

I’m wondering if the story of Connectclip battery will repeats with internal battery of this charger. I can see mountains of garbage from Connectclips and chargers.

1 Like

I almost would bet that the battery in this charger is not user replaceable.

1 Like

“Throw it away and buy a new one” again :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Unless it’s soldered into the circuit board, it would be able to be replaced by most people, I’ve yet to find any HA accessory that can’t be done, but I’m sure they’ll be a first.

Of course if there’s a will, there’s a way. Just like how some people still manage to find batteries for the ConnectClip online and pry it open to replace the batteries. We’re just talking about whether Oticon designs the battery for the charger to be replaceable by anyone or not. And supplies the battery for replacement for a cost. Not everyone is DIY inclined, though.

1 Like

Can you share a direct link to this?