Need to retain Costco membership after buying hearing aids?

Another question came up today in my research about Costco…

I know you need to be a Costco member to purchase hearing aids at Costco, but do you need to retain your membership to continue accessing services and disposable accessories like domes and wax guards?

I have searched online and found inconsistent information on this topic. At this stage my guess is it may vary store to store. Let me know what you all have experienced.

1 Like

What I’ve been told is that once you’ve purchased your hearing aids you no longer need to be a member.They will continue providing cleanings, domes and wax guards and honoring warranty. However a membership is necessary to get your hearing tested. I’ve never tried this out as I have maintained my membership.

4 Likes

It’s very interesting because I keep reading that the hearing aids business is a means to building membership / increasing shopping trips … same with other ancillary services like optical / gas, etc

Perhaps most people are just getting the executive membership when they buy their aids, shopping more, and maintaining their membership… so Costco doesn’t need to resort to cutting off hearing aid users who let their membership go… That would probably be a PR nightmare for them…

1 Like

Don’t you have to show a membership card to get in the store?

1 Like

You do, but apparently one can use Pharmacy and hearing aid dept (don’t know about optical) without card. Don’t know how it works as currently they have you scan your membership proof (either card or Costco Citi card) as you enter.

4 Likes

There may not be one answer as this may vary due to different state and country laws. Do you need to be a member to buy parts later - say ear molds if you were a member when you purchased the hearing aids?

There is a significant difference with optical. Purchasing glasses or lenses requires a membership. Seeing the optometrist does not. The key is the optometrist is independent to some extent. Not an employee of costco. My understanding of the hearing aid side is that the workers are all employees. Used to be, in NH, that you could buy glasses too, without a membership, but they cut that off over 20 years ago.

WH

1 Like

Here is what Costco says in their terms and conditions.

“Certain merchandise, including prescription drugs and alcoholic beverages in some states, may be purchased by nonmembers where required by law.”

So depending on where you live, things may be different.

1 Like

I suspect the retention rate is very high for Costco memberships. Membership fees are pure profit for them and are what keeps their stores open.

Note, you can always move to the lower Gold membership when renewing.

I’m sure there are folks that move from one membership level to the other depending if they are buying a high value item, or want to use one of the Executive member services.

Costco kind of encourages it, since they allow one to move to the Executive member level at anytime and if I remember correctly, they prorate the membership fee when going from Gold to Executive.

No scanning your card as you enter at the two Costcos in central Iowa. You have to scan it to check out, though.

1 Like

While the subject is Costco I soon will be starting a 90 day trial period of the Philips 9050. Yet Costco UK seem to have 180 days at some stores and 90 days at others (which is the standard returns policy on electronic devices) I have made enquires as to why, so waiting for a reply. Surely it should be the same for all.

It was true that at the entry door you could say, “I’m visiting the Hear Clinic” or such and you’d be admitted w/o a card. I don’t know if that is still the case, now that scanning upon entry has been installed at my store. I went ahead and joined awhile ago. I like the gas store.

3 Likes

Hi - I too have just ordered the 9050’s and am going in on Monday to get fitted. I was told 90 days too. I’m sure when I got my current KS10’s and previous KS9’s it was 6 months.

Did you get your free gift?!? I was quite surprised and delighted. So if you decide not to keep them do you have to return the free TV adaptor or soundclip? After all they were on the invoice at 1p so not actually free or included in the sale exactly. Offer ends at the end of the month people!

1 Like

Yes I got the free gift, I chose the TV adapter, although thinking about it I should maybe have chosen the sound clip. I am happy with my phone and don’t really want to change it. I don’t know what is going on with the trial period.
The audiologist said there is some difference among the clinics and as far as she knows this is dictated by the preference of the manager of each department which is then agreed upon in the purchase agreement signed at the fitting appointment. She also said she would contact the head of audiology to clarify the situation.
A forum member @PeteTab recently purchased the 9050’s and given 180 days trial.

1 Like

Is the free gift a UK offer only? I didn’t see anything here (Minnesota) about a free gift :frowning:

1 Like

Welcome to the community @northbear. It probably is UK offer only. Although depending on the pound/dollar exchange rate we pay more for the aids because of value added tax @ 20%. Probably around $200 more.Unless you pay state taxes on top.

1 Like

Right, and it came as a surprise to me. There was nothing I had previously read about any offer. I ordered them and the audiologist asked me whether I wanted the TV link or the mike clip…I was a bit confused for a minute. :smile:

No scanning yet. Scanning at the entrance is rolling out to stores.

Maybe the free gifts signal new accessories are coming with small updates such as USB C.

Thanks for the welcome. Not too big a deal, figured it it was free I would look into getting the mike clip. While I can use my Pixel 7a phone hands free, people on the other end of the call say it is very hard to understand/hear me.

1 Like

You don’t need the card for the pharmacy (in California at least). I just walk on in and no one ever says anything to me, even though most other folks are flashing their cards. If someone asks, say you are picking up prescriptions. Even at the pharmacy, you need a card for on-prescription items though.

1 Like