Need some HELP with Hi-pro(hi-crap)

Have it on order, should get it tomorrow.
I’ll report back with results.

Thanks
Mike

Well, the Crap is still Crapy!!!
Acting exactly the same with Null modem cable as with the straight cable connected to the original Hi-Pro serial cable.

Hi-Pro is detected but not the OPNs.

Any additional suggestions??
Other than get a Mini-Pro:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Thanks
Mike

Maybe a StarTech USB to Serial Adapter Null Modem FTDI or similar. It has a built-in version of the FTDI USB UART Chip. btw> It is not the same as the afore mentioned/pictured cable by @rik.rod.business. I don’t believe that one from NTech had a chip.

eta: Oh, I didn’t see your StarTech picture before. So maybe it is not your USB to Serial cable.

Verify that you have cs44 cables not the visually identical cs44a. Google: cs44 pinout. Requires the use of a multimeter.

This would account for the hipro being recognized but the opn’s not.

Good point @Coroplast. His CS44/CS44a cables do look unusual?

Do you have a multi meter? You can get one cheep, or maybe free when you have a Harbor Freight coupon and you buy another tool.

Cable Pinouts for Hearing Aid Programming

I got the exact StarTech cable.
Yes have a multimeter, working on making up mini probes now.

Thanks

Hmmmmm, someone knows what he is talking about.
Coroplast,
Looks like you are correct, Thank You

I am getting the following on the cables that I have:
1-2
2-1
3-4
4-3
Pins 3&4 seem to be swapped also.
Making it like this:

Now I have to find new cables I guess.

Also in the above pictures you posted it doesn’t look like the cables are fully seated in the flex strip. Mine, phonak brand, actually snap perceptively in. We have to leave it to you to verify your nonstandard looking cables are making contact.

Cheap guys like me don’t buy new cables:

Thanks,
I feel a distinct click when connecting, that seems to be fine.
I may try to cut them open and fix them.

There is always the alternative to buy new, I hate that too!!!
No fun.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks again.

I think you will find the cables too thin/tiny to do any splicing. You might be better off splicing some old-tech Keyboard & Mouse cables like in the link provided by @Coroplast ; $36 on Ebay doesn’t seem that bad.

Yikes, I didn’t read close enough. That’s $36 per each cable.

Also, let’s take note that Phonak calls their cables cs44 despite the switch in cable wiring. If your cables are from an after market maker following the Phonak lead that might explain it.

When they do call it CS44, they also qualify it as Phonak version.

If they are original Phonak cables, which seem not to be the case from what i am seeing listed.
I have 3 cables, 2 seem to be CS44a the other is all over the place, JUST BAD.
Lots of people buy old junk and don’t really know what they are reselling or if any good at all.

Thanks

2 for $50 Here

Oh, The $36 cables from EBay posted above was for only one cable.

When you get something not-as-described, then call them on it. Get your money back including shipping. Learn to use your credit card chargeback rights given to you by state and federal law.

Yes, the hearing club is the current recommendation:
How to Buy Programming cables, Flex Strips, Programming Pills

Ok, Here we go.
My Ebay seller refunded my money for the bad cables and useless QuickCom programmer without issue, kudos to him for doing the right thing.

Thank you Coroplast for hitting on the cables being the issue, I purchased a new set of cables and I CAN now connect to my OPNs with either the NOAHlink or serial Hi-Crap without issue.

Both the StarTech FTDI Null Modem cable or the standard CableCreation CD0477 connected in series with the original Hi-Pro serial cable seem to work fine with the Hi-Crap. So I am not real sure what the difference is internally, possibly the original Hi-Pro serial cable makes the crossover??
In either case, both configurations seem to work fine

So, now that I have probably spent the equivalent $$$ of a brand new USB Hi-Pro 2 on old Crap, I have to say I am very happy with the results of both Old (Crap) programmers.
You would need a milli second stop watch to tell the difference in connection times between them and for a DYI programmer i think it makes little if any difference.

Now it is off to the races to get into the programming aspect of things, you’ll likely see me in the OPN programming thread soon.

Thanks again to Coroplast and PVC for your assistance and contributions.

Regards,
Mike

1 Like

I have had a serial hipro for 10 years or so and the unit was used when I got it. I have changed computers a few times but have always made it work. My initial usb to serial cable worked for windows xp but not vista. I have always had a desktop so installed a serial pci card in 2010 or so and a couple years ago did the same on a windows 10 computer. IMO You would not buy a serial hipro if given a choice. But a serial hipro is better than a company specific gizmo once you dial it in.
shan

Agreed,
Seems to work fine.
The old NOAHlink is wireless to the PC so less clutter, therefore it gets the higher ranking. IMHO
But just getting started, time will tell.

Mike

Sensible comments. If it works and it was cost effective…it’s good.

Yes, some may advise you to use cost effective old obsolete junk while not using it themselves. Maybe you should ask what’s in your wallet.