Need new phone: go with Samsung or iPhone to pair with Oticon miniRITE?

I will need a new smartphone shortly and will use it with my Oticon miniRITEs for streaming. I have been using a Samsung S-9 and the experience has been ok, given the known issues about streaming sometimes dropping from one HA, needing to reboot BT, etc. I find now, however, that the current Samsung line, the S22, has not been certified for compatibility by Oticon. In fact my audiologist warned me to stay away from any phone based on Android OS12. So I’m considering an iPhone, which would be a major move for me since I would have to learn a whole new system. But now I’ve been reading that the newest iPhones with iOS 16 also have streaming issues with the Oticon miniRITE, at least if the HAs firmware has been updated to 1.4. My head is spinning with these options in front of me - anyone have any advice?

1 Like

@KeenEye Which Oticon miniRite do you have?
I guess it’s the Oticon More!
If it is the case, then iPhone is a better solution, because Oticon More is MFi (Made For iPhone), even if there are few troubles here and there, Apple will fix them eventually (fingers crossed).
Also, iPhone 14 has a Bluetooth 5.3, which (maybe) capable of taking advantage of the upcoming Bluetooth Auracast.

2 Likes

I have to get a new phone for my new hearing aids to stream calls, music etc. I looked at the list of phones that are compatible with my hearing aid–iPhones and Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixels mostly-- and read as much as I could tolerate. Ultimately, I decided to give up being an Android-only user and go with an iPhone because I thought it was more likely to work with most any hearing aid I’d choose than an Android phone would. I just ordered an iPhone today (and saw the thread about the connecting problem on this forum afterward!!). Oticon was originally MFI though as I understand it, so I’d think the iPhone would likely have fewer connection problems than any other phone.

2 Likes

Search up my post detailing success with the Pixel 7.

1 Like

I’m glad you are having a good BT experience with the Pixel 7. I note, though, that Oticon still does not list the Pixel 7 as being compatible.

@KeenEye Which Oticon miniRITE do you have?

Phone compatibility is likely to remain “glitchy” for at least the near future. iPhones offer the advantage of “hands free calling.”: If you’re a Samsung and Android fan, the S22 now is on Android 13 so hopefully the Android 12 issues are dealt with. If phone compatibility with hearing aids is your priority, I’d likely go with an iPhone, but either could work and I’d bet you’re likely to run into some glitches no matter which one you choose.

2 Likes

Waiting for the hearing aid manufacturers to “test” phones can take awhile.

At bluetooth.com you can look up your hearing aids to see what version of Bluetooth they support. Then you can look up phones to see what versions they support. I think the goal should be match your phone BT with your HAs BT version, if you have older equipment the phone BT version should have the higher BT version.

You can go to the cell store and pair your HAs to a demo. Check it out.

With my s21 in a breast pocket, the BT connection was poor. Why, my the s21 is BT 5.0, Evolv HAs are BT 5.2. Pixel 7 is BT 5.2. I’m not sure that’s the reason. Heck Samsung might have designed a poor BT antenna, you can’t cheat physics with a poor antenna.

This really isn’t about the HA manufacturers being compatibly with specific phones. It’s about standards. It’s about Bluetooth and apps that are well written for Android or iOS.

I’ve had my Evolv HAs programmed in such a way that I could get along without the Sharkey Thrive app. Leaving me with a Pixel 7, Evolv, and a stable BT connection.

1 Like

Here are the specs you need:

It is compatable.

Even that list is incomplete. I have a Pixel 5a, and they didn’t list it, but it is ASHA.

Problem w/ android is,no hands free!
Ya still gotta answer the phone, and talk into the mic!

I have the Oticon ConnectClip, and prefer it to ASHA, so I can just tap the multi-switch to answer a call, and the built in mic xmits my voice…Real hands free!

It also acts as a remote control, as well as connecting to my PC, laptop, and tablet!

1 Like

True, but this isn’t a big deal for me. If my phone is in a breast pocket, The MIC hears me just fine.

1 Like

Yes, it is the More. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I’m glad the ConnectClip works for you but I had so many problems with it and my S-9 - even after my audiologist let me test-drive it for several weeks and had multiple sessions with me trying to get it to work right - that I gave up. Now when I am going to have a long call I will take out my HAs and use a BT headset to connect to my phone. A royal pain but much better than the frustration of the ConnectClip.

That’ a shame, the S9 has Bluetooth 5.0, so should work fine.
I had an older Nokia 6.1 (2018) with my Oticon OPN’s and never had problems with the CClip.
My Pixel 5a, and my More’s also work.
Perhaps it was a defective unit?

1 Like

I have Oticon Minirites and an iPhone. Haven’t had any problems.

1 Like