Need help for listening to airline movies

I have tried to thoroughly search this site and have done numerous additional web searches to learn how I can enjoy movie audio on air travel. No simple solution has emerged.
I have a profound hearing loss in both ears and wear bte Oticon OPN 1 aides. I do very poorly with TV and phone without routing sound directly to my HA’s. I use a TV Connect and pair my iPhone for calls with very good results on both counts.
My current mission is to see if I can do the same with airline audio. Maybe full headphones that cover my aides’ microphones would work, but I’m not really interested in dragging along full headphones when I travel.
I have come up with a kluge solution that will involve taking along my TV Connect, attaching it to USB power and then plugging in the output from the airline audio to the TV Connect as if it were TV sound output. In my testing, it seems that this will work, but I would still need to bring along my TV Connect device and have access to USB power.
Is there a better way?? Help me please!

1 Like

If you have a significant loss, I imagine over ear headphones will cause feedback.

They make Bluetooth adapters with a headphone Jack so people can use AirPods or other bt headsets on a plane. If you pair the ConnectClip to the Bluetooth adapter then you should be able to listen via your aids.

2 Likes

Have you try iPhone “live listen”. Place the head phone ear piece next to iphone mic. The sound from the airline movie will be broadcast directly to the HA’s by the iPhone.
To activate “live listen”, press the on button 3 times. Tap the live listen button.
Hope this will helps.

1 Like

Try buying a Neckloop to Pair with T-Coil Equipped Hearing Aids. There are several brands. The neckloop have a plug to connect to the airplane sound system. This worked well with my Phonak Paradise. You can also use an audio wireless receiver and transmitter

I tried to copy a photo of it but wasn’t successful. The brand name is MPOW

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try these and see what results. Unfortunately, my aids are not T-Coil equipped.

I have a Mini-Mic I got from Costco that I used with Kirkland 6 and now with Jabra Pros. It connects to the phone by bluetooth and I plug it into the headphone jack on the plane. I had to get a cord on Amazon to plug into the unit which i plug into the plane headphone jack. Works great. Have used it for years. There are other blue tooth adapators that do the same thing.

1 Like

Don’t give up on over the ear, noise canceling head phones. The noise canceling on an airplane is very helpful. I may turn my hearing aid down an notch or two for feedback, but the sound is great. I have Boise, but get the ones with the largest pocket to fit over your ear. I wear big BTE, but it works. Again, the noise canceling feature is a must so turning down the HA’s doesn’t seem as important.

Feedback is more in the low frequency range. But you can see my audiogram and it is a little below yours. All that said, I usually just read a book on airplanes.

1 Like

you need

1. Connect clip / Edu mic

2. Twelve South AirFly Pro Bluetooth Transmitter

pair 1 + 2 and it should work really well.

I use over the ear (although my loss is less than yours) noise cancelling. Honestly the noise cancelling on planes is awesome just in general.

1 Like

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Sounds like I might need to invest in a Connect Clip.

Here’s what I’m using on a plane,

1. I plug in my transmitter (Twelve South AirFly Pro Bluetooth Transmitter) into the airplanes sound out jack. I bought the Twelve South AirFly Pro Bluetooth Transmitter from apple but look for it on amazon and you’ll get cheaper transmitter versions if you find the Twelve South too expensive.

2. Pair the transmitter with Apple AirPods Pro - noise cancelling EarPods
    and then you can watch airplane movies and the sound is transmitted directly into the EarPods and your ears ( I have removed my hearing aids first). And also you can check Amazon for cheaper noise cancelling earPods or earphones, but I strongly recommend you purchase noise cancelling.
    Bottom line It Works Fabulously!

1 Like

Ok. This may not be the best solution, but it looks like it will work for me without having to purchase a Connect Clip. I have tested attaching my TV Adapter to a mobile power source (a USB power stick) allowing it to be portable. The stick powers the TV Adapter for many hours and with this, I can plug any RCA sound source into the TV Adapter and have it send the input directly to my hearing aids. Since I need the sound processing of my hearing aids to understand dialog, this will allow me to listen to Airline movies and also to hear tour guides who use a broadcast system to a receiver with a headphone output. Yes, I will have to drag around my TV Adapter which isn’t meant to be portable along with a power stick, but this will give me the solution I need until the grand and glorious future of the newest bluetooth gives us better audio access.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

3 Likes

In this scenario, the Oticon EduMic is needed, not the ConnectClip, because the EduMic has a headphone jack. Just bring along a 3.5 mm cable. Important to also mute your hearing aid mics while streaming.

1 Like
1 Like

@LawyerFL,

Saw it at MPOW website. Is this the correct one?

I would still use headphones. You can amplify the sound using small, rechargeable amplifiers like a eSynic Headphone Amplifier

1 Like

Yes, it allows you to plug in to anything that is not wireless, like in the airplane.

1 Like

I use a Bluetooth transmitter and a ConnectClip. There is a bit of latency, but otherwise it works well. I find that muting the ambient sound and turning the volume up is necessary to overcome the background noise.