Need Hearing Aid Terminology to Diagnose Issues

I would love assistance in coming up with specific terminology to bring up to my audiologist to help diagnose and resolve my issues with a ReSound Enzo 3D hearing aid.

• Initial issue: There was some warble whenever background noise/sound/music hit a certain frequency. This was resolved once the audiologist found that the compression was at a higher level. From over level 3, he brought it back down to 2.5. There is no warble now.

• Issue now: Background noise seems to be there (in terms of power and loudness) but then it seems to automatically get lower to the point of almost silence. I’m still hearing cars outside and air ambience but it’s not consistently at my normal hearing level. I know he turned the gain up much more for me to even hear outside noise and now there also seems to be annoying feedback (digital sounds) whenever sound gets too loud. Before, when I had a lot more clarity and volume, feedback was minimal and only occurred at more reasonable times (like hair or a hat close to my hearing aid microphone).

• Issue now: When I stream audio (music, videos, phone calls) to my bluetooth hearing aid, I have to turn the volume up all the way and it still sounds like it’s muffled/more muted/underwater. Not as much clarity and power. Feels restricted. My normal volume level is halfway and just slightly above halfway and I get lots of clarity and good volume. (Update as of today - my audiologist said he got in touch with ReSound and he just had to install a software update as they changed software protocol for Streaming. I haven’t seen him yet to implement this to my hearing aid)

• One term that came up for me was automatic gain control as that could be a factor in the background noise dimming automatically in All-Around mode. I told my audiologist to only change the compression and leave everything else the same, but sound still seemed lower than usual. I have a friend who said that when compression gets lower, you still have to adjust other factors to get it to the stabilized settings it once was before. Is this true?

I would appreciate knowledge and terms that may be possible factors to consider or alter when I see my audiologist next.

So that’s the noise reduction kicking off, so a bit less would certainly help.

Feedback test should be done, you don’t want any leakage from your ear molds, just turning up feedback manager is not the best way, also your audiologist should do REM to see if they can find the actual frequency that’s causing the issue, but again the molds need to be a tight fit for any increase in gain.

Again a simple adjustment issue in Aventa, make sure you take your smartphone with you and check after each adjustments.

You don’t mention the App, are you using one, the older ReSound Smart App I use with the Linx2 should be ok with the Enzo, you don’t mention which phone you use iPhone or Android with phone clip.

All these issues you need to talk through with your Audiologist, the firmware update could well help with streaming so make sure you get it done, but usually its just bug fixes as such.