Need a new hearing aid: Is this true that there is no CROS L for Phonak NAIDA Lumity UP? I'm mad as hell about this

For those who don’t know: I have a Phonak NAIDA B + CROS B for my hearing loss. They have been through one warranty repair/replacement.

So these hearing aids decided to go on the fritz this week. It’s become a ginormous echoey mess (where previously it was sharp and clear). Thinking back, it’s likely it has been a gradual slide for at least a couple of weeks. On top of that, I have just recently been to my ENT to have my ears clean a couple days ago. And, it has been quite a bit of time since I have customized anything about the hearing aid with Target, so it wasn’t any settings changes I made.

After trying my Phonak NAIDA Q backup, I’ve come to the conclusion it’s time to replace my B (my NAIDA B + CROS B has become one giant auditory mess and I don’t like anything I hear from any hearing aid mode).

I was really disheartened to see on Phonak’s website that the latest models of the NAIDA Lumity are not compatible with CROS L units. I am really pissed off because around 2016 I bought into CROS and I can’t live without it and wear mine 24/7 almost. It literally brings balance and volume to my ears where it is lacking using a single hearing aid device.

What are people like me supposed to do? Am I supposed to live without CROS now because of crap thinking from Phonak? I’m really mad as hell about this.

Yeah, it’s awful. It’s not just about the current chip, they don’t have a BTE compatible CROS if you’re out of range of the rechargeable, which you are. You’d have to move to a RIC on your good ear, which may or may not give you as much richness and power as the BTE.

How long has your dead ear been unaided? No option for cochlear implant?

If you’re not married to phonak, there are cros compatible options among other manufacturers, although I’d have to double check but they might still all be RICs, but that should be okay.

Wow. Whoever made this decision at Phonak should be fired.

It has been established long ago that I don’t have enough hearing for anything other than standard earmolds and BTEs.

Not married to Phonak, but sadly, the audiologist I’ve been going to for 20 years is.

My dead ear has been unaided since I was 3 years old. I am 44 now.

Thank God. I can still get the Naida Paradise battery version. Problem solved!!

1 Like

@codergeek2015

Someone else who normally wears CROS and Naida said Naida P doesn’t work with CROS P either.

Only the Audeo range works with CROS.

Just found this -

1 Like

HOW locked into phonak is your provider? The next one I might investigate would be the oticon exceed and cros. Do you already use phonak Roger stuff, or no?

They are married to Phonak, sadly. No. I don’t use the Roger stuff. It is not needed.

Zebras - Thank you for the heads up. Is it possible they came out with a Phonak Naida-compatible version? If not, my audiologist made a mistake but I won’t be able to bring this up with them until next week (they are closed tomorrow the 22nd).

@codergeek2015

I checked the software and no, the Naida P and L don’t work with the CROS.

1 Like

@Zebras - Wow. I’ll definitely bring this up with my audiologist. Thank you for the updated information!

To say I am mad at Phonak for removing support for people like me who have single-sided deafness and profound losses in their other ear is an understatement.

1 Like

@Zebras - When did Phonak remove support for NAIDAs + CROS units? Was it beginning with the (NOT-VERY-PARADISE-OF-THEM) model or what?

@codergeek2015

It was your Naida B that last worked with CROS.

Naida M, there was no CROS for Marvel anyway.

Naida P and L don’t work with CROS.

So basically, I was given CROS, lived with it for the past 5 years, and Phonak decided to say f*** you to people like me when it comes time for a new hearing aid the next time around.

Again, to say I am mad at them is an understatement. I’m furious that I can’t get the same thing and was discriminated against in their decision-making. I call discrimination!

I think it’s time for me to get a new audiologist who is not married to Phonak. God I wanna try all the brands and find what’s best for ME. Not the one who provides the most kickbacks.

I really, really hate Phonak and how they treat their customers.

Phonak decides they don’t wanna support me, I am never supporting them ever again.

2 Likes

It sucks. It’s weird. I’ve pushed two complaints up about this issue for two different patients. I encourage you to ask your clinician to let them know you’re upset and moving to a different manufacturer.

With increased access to cochlear implants, the population of CROS users is dropping. Especially cros+BTE users. But phonak has a stronger history of supporting smaller population losses, and it’s a shame to see them drop that in this case.

I wonder what the technical challenge for cross-compatibility is now. It wasn’t that long ago that you could fit any style with any style as long as you were on the same chip.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information but I can’t use anything but batteries, a standard ear mold, and a BTE. This is a long-ago-established medical fact due to my level of loss.

I need sound to come on immediately when I put my hearing aids on. Not 30 minutes later. Not three hours later. That means batteries are the only thing for me.

Do not ever recommend rechargeables to me again. Okay?

sorry to ask, are you a candidate for cochlea implants?

No. I’m just on the threshold. My hearing is also too good in my good ear. There is concern the implant in my left ear will actually detract from that hearing, so implants are out.

1 Like