Need a landline phone with t-coil

I have new oticon level 2 and it comes with a t coil program. has anyone had luck with a landline wireless phone that has good t coil?

thanks very much,

Jim

For a wireless landline phone you likely will need to put a t-coil magnet near the phone’s speaker for it to be able to use the t-coil. They aren’t like the old landline handsets that had a magnet in the earpiece, so a magnet needs to be stuck on the phone for it to work. Below is what I’m referring to. There may be other places to get them, such as from your hearing aid provider.

If your smartphone is usually with you when at home, and you can hear calls well through your HAs (Bluetooth or t-coil):

Consider using the smartphone to make and take landline calls. If your existing service is standards-based VoIP, an inexpensive or free SIP app (Groundwire, Zoiper, etc.) is all you need. Many proprietary landline services such as Ooma and Vonage have free mobile apps.

I no longer find cordless phones to be useful; too much hassle with misplaced handsets and battery life issues. I prefer the (corded) desk phone for long conversations, but will transfer a call to the cell if mobility is required. If a call comes in while away from the desk, I’ll answer on the mobile, but if it’s expected to be lengthy, I go back to the desk to continue the call.

I have a Panasonic cordless phone. No charging issues. I have my KS10’s (Phonak P90) programmed so the 1st extra program is t-coil. When I use the landline, I push the button for the 1st extra program and hold the phone so that it’s “talking” into the HA’s. No magnet required. The cordless phone’s manual says nothing about t-coil, but it works. It’s just necessary for the receiver on the cordless phone to have a magnetically driven diaphragm. Most do. BTW, that’s why the speaker on your HA is a “receiver.” Phone company lingo.
I am unclear as to the function of the magnet, unless it’s for automatically switching the HA’s to t-coil.

Just search for “hearing aid compatible”, sometimes HAC. For example https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=abcat0802001&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=features_facet%3DFeatures~Hearing%20Aid%20Compatible&sc=Global&st=categoryid%24abcat0802001&type=page&usc=All%20Categories

Correct. If you are willing to switch manually, the magnet isn’t needed.

I probably chose those Panasonic phones on a similar search. However, none of the documentation says anything about the magnet or hearing aids that I could find. I have a t-coil program, but a magnet does nothing. I’ll check the DIY group to see if it’s a setting in Target that I didn’t see.
Thanks for the info.

Finally got around to testing the magnet with my Panasonic landline phone which is T-coil compatible. All along, even if I turned on the coil program in my HAs, I still couldn’t hear sufficiently well. So today I put the magnet onto the handset. Waited for a call to come in and when it did, I was totally surprised as to how well I could hear every word right into my HA/ear. It was as if I was at a venue that was coiled. It was automatic and amazing. The improvement was enormous. I’m going to be putting a magnet on each of my handsets in the house. I’m a huge fan of the coil!

1 Like

Gotta go with newer technology.